• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are the rarest romance comics?
32 32

6,415 posts in this topic

After tons of research online, I'm convinced that one of the most infallible ways to determine identity is through the ears. They're like fingerprints. (For more technical info, see the link I posted earlier.)

To my eyes, Alice's right ear lobe is longer and more oblong than some others. If that's her on Sweethearts #102, note how the lobe is somewhat oval, whereas the lobe of the model on Love Experiences #12 is shorter and more circular, even though she is wearing an earring which could pull the lobe down and make it look longer.

Another part of the ear to focus on is the tragus, which is the small flap in front of the ear canal which projects backward. When you press your finger on the tragus, if it's big enough, it closes up your ear canal.

Note how the model on Sweethearts #102 has a fairly pronounced tragus, but the girl on Love Experiences #12 barely has one at all.

With a photo editing program, I cropped to the ears only and rotated the pics to similar angles. The model's ear on LE #12 is smaller and rounder, while the model on Sweethearts #102 has an ear that is bigger from top to bottom and more oval overall. I would post the pics, but the forum software will only let me add photos which have a url.

Ok, first, here again are the two covers we're using to compare the ears, Love Experiences 12, and Sweethearts 102...

DimpleDoll047_zps1a54e21e.jpg

DimpleDoll045_zpscce1a4a5.jpg

Here is the right ear from each photo, side by side...

Ears_zpsd9556564.jpg

And here, for additional comparison, is a known publicity photo of Alice Kelley, showing the right ear... (the best example I have, for this purpose, at least)...

DimpleDoll025_zps5b09e966.jpg

After tons of research online, I'm convinced that one of the most infallible ways to determine identity is through the ears. They're like fingerprints. (For more technical info, see the link I posted earlier.)

To my eyes, Alice's right ear lobe is longer and more oblong than some others. If that's her on Sweethearts #102, note how the lobe is somewhat oval, whereas the lobe of the model on Love Experiences #12 is shorter and more circular, even though she is wearing an earring which could pull the lobe down and make it look longer.

Another part of the ear to focus on is the tragus, which is the small flap in front of the ear canal which projects backward. When you press your finger on the tragus, if it's big enough, it closes up your ear canal.

Note how the model on Sweethearts #102 has a fairly pronounced tragus, but the girl on Love Experiences #12 barely has one at all.

With a photo editing program, I cropped to the ears only and rotated the pics to similar angles. The model's ear on LE #12 is smaller and rounder, while the model on Sweethearts #102 has an ear that is bigger from top to bottom and more oval overall. I would post the pics, but the forum software will only let me add photos which have a url.

Ok, first, here again are the two covers we're using to compare the ears, Love Experiences 12, and Sweethearts 102...

DimpleDoll047_zps1a54e21e.jpg

DimpleDoll045_zpscce1a4a5.jpg

Here is the right ear from each photo, side by side...

Ears_zpsd9556564.jpg

And here, for additional comparison, is a known publicity photo of Alice Kelley, showing the right ear... (the best example I have, for this purpose, at least)...

DimpleDoll025_zps5b09e966.jpg

I agree completely with MBFan regarding the differences he pointed out between the two ears from the two comic covers.

But, also, when I compare the second ear (from Sweethearts 102) to the ear in the b&w publicity photo, I'm seeing what I believe is the exact same ear... same shaped lobe, same shaped (and sized) tragus, and same relative proportions.

29dukedog said: "...when I compare the second ear (from Sweethearts 102) to the ear in the b&w publicity photo, I'm seeing what I believe is the exact same ear... same shaped lobe, same shaped (and sized) tragus, and same relative proportions."

For what it's worth, I completely concur. The lobe, the tragus and the folds all look like the exact same ear on Sweethearts 102 and in Alice's b&w pic. Too bad the models' ears aren't visible on more covers!

After much searching though the GCD site, I still only know of that single comic book example, Campus Loves #3, of an indicia crediting the name of the cover model.

I'm still hoping that her magazine covers will generally prove more likely to give cover credits. I haven't even begun to explore that area, though. One of these days I'll start sifting through the vintage romance magazines on eBay.

After much searching though the GCD site, I still only know of that single comic book example, Campus Loves #3, of an indicia crediting the name of the cover model.

I'm still hoping that her magazine covers will generally prove more likely to give cover credits. I haven't even begun to explore that area, though. One of these days I'll start sifting through the vintage romance magazines on eBay.

Could be a tough one. Are magazine models typically credited?

Alice Kelley in a great pulp, Life Romances V6 #2. April 1955. No credit, but it is written..."you shall know her by her lateral incisor".

LifeRomancesV62fc100_zps940e7ba5.jpg

Good one!

Could be a tough one. Are magazine models typically credited?

I don't know how magazine cover credits were handled back in the '40's and '50's, but nowadays magazines almost always say who it is on the cover. The practice had to have got it's start at sometime.

Alice Kelley in a great pulp, Life Romances V6 #2. April 1955. No credit, but it is written..."you shall know her by her lateral incisor".

LifeRomancesV62fc100_zps940e7ba5.jpg

Good one!

Yes, could very well be her, rocking the Betty Page bangs that would have been very popular in 1955.

"Against All Flags" was a surprisingly fun pirate adventure film. Alice Kelley has a significant supporting role in this movie. She plays the Indian Princess Patma, and in the opening credits her name is preceded only by Errol Flynn, Maureen O'Hara, and Anthony Quinn.

Errol Flynn's character, Lt. Hawke, is charged with saving Patma from a burning ship, where earlier she'd been instructed to hide by her governess. When Hawke finds her, she's afraid to go with him, believing him to be one of the pirate crew that attacked her ship. In order to convince her of his honorable intentions he kisses her, not realizing it would be the first time in her life she'd ever been kissed by a man.

From that moment, Patma is smitten with Lt. Hawke like a silly school girl. Several times throughout the rest of the film, she stands in front of him, leans forward with pursed lips, and says, "Again?" It becomes a running gag. Alice Kelley really is just too adorable in this film.

If you missed it last night, you can still watch it online at Watch TCM through June 28th, provided your cable or satellite service already includes TCM.

Link to Watch TCM Against All Flags

AgainstAllFlags_poster_zpsf7a2e3bb.jpg