• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are the rarest romance comics?
32 32

6,415 posts in this topic

I remember seeing "Against All Flags" years ago. That sweet Alice had a substantial role and a fairly prominent billing shows that she apparently came close to having a significant movie career.

It would be interesting to know what happened next. Casting directors didn't like her performance? Her agent asked for too much money? Just bad luck that roles that she might have been suited for didn't turn up?

1952 was well into the post-TV downturn in movie revenues and in the number of films being produced. Perhaps if she had arrived 10 years earlier, she might have had a career.

But then she wouldn't have had to take those modeling jobs and we wouldn't be talking about her!

I remember seeing "Against All Flags" years ago. That sweet Alice had a substantial role and a fairly prominent billing shows that she apparently came close to having a significant movie career.

It would be interesting to know what happened next.

Met and married a handsome, dashing young man from a well known and wealthy family. Soon to be very wealthy family. That didn't jibe with kissing the likes of Errol Flynn as a day job. Or any job, for that matter, other than "beautiful socialite, devoted wife and mother."

It would be interesting to know what happened next.

Met and married a handsome, dashing young man from a well known and wealthy family. Soon to be very wealthy family. That didn't jibe with kissing the likes of Errol Flynn as a day job. Or any job, for that matter, other than "beautiful socialite, devoted wife and mother."

Can't remember exactly when the marriage fits into her timeline, but in '53, the year following Against All Flags, she managed to squeeze in bit parts in five other films, and one more in '54.

--------------------------------------------

Alice Ann Kelley FILMOGRAPHY

Including television appearances

June Bride

(Boo's Girlfriend at Wedding)

A Date with Judy

(Girl)

The Silver Theatre (TV Show)

The Bigelow Theatre (TV Show)

Buckaroo Sheriff of Texas

(Betty)

Son of Ali Baba

(Calu)

Francis Goes to West Point

(Cynthia Daniels)

Against All Flags

(Princess Patma)

Take Me to Town

(Heroine in Show)

Walking My Baby Back Home

(Secretary)

The Golden Blade

(Handmaiden)

The Glass Web

(Waitress)

Ma and Pa Kettle on Vacation

(Stewardess)

Ma and Pa Kettle at Home

(Sally Maddocks)

From that last list, "Against All Flags" would appear to be the highlight. It can't be a good sign for your career when you go from a featured role in AAF to a bit part in "Ma and PA Kettle on Vacation."

In terms of forsaking Tinseltown for matrimony, as I recall, the actress who played the oldest daughter in "The Sound of Music" did something similar. Of course, there's also Grace Kelly.

This photo turned up tonight... and I thought, "I've seen that photo somewhere before... but where?"

DimpleDoll051_maybe_zps1154dc4c.jpg

Alice Kelley in a great pulp, Life Romances V6 #2. April 1955. No credit, but it is written..."you shall know her by her lateral incisor".

LifeRomancesV62fc100_zps940e7ba5.jpg

It's the same girl. But, is it Alice?

This photo turned up tonight... and I thought, "I've seen that photo somewhere before... but where?"

DimpleDoll051_maybe_zps1154dc4c.jpg

Alice Kelley in a great pulp, Life Romances V6 #2. April 1955. No credit, but it is written..."you shall know her by her lateral incisor".

LifeRomancesV62fc100_zps940e7ba5.jpg

It's the same girl. But, is it Alice?

What do the lobes say? :sumo:

Alice has very long and narrow ears, almost "elf" ears (without pointed tops, of course). I've been studying her ears (among other attributes) in the two films of hers I've recorded on my DVR (June Bride and Against All Flags). It's too bad that the ears can't be seen in most of the photos that are most in need of verification.

I've also been reviewing the photos we've collected in my photobucket album. I'm becoming inclined to agree with rjpb... we are probably dealing with one or more other models that look very much like Alice in certain photos, although for now I'm reserving judgement on which ones to exclude.

If anyone wants to review her album for themselves, here's the link again:

Alice Kelley album

There was a division of opinion, earlier, and I had my doubts, too... but now I'm all for voting Teen-Age Romances #4 into the Alice Kelley collection, if only on the basis of the visible ear. That's totally Alice's ear. Compare it to the b&w publicity photo...

DimpleDoll000_zpsbb8b05b2.jpg

DimpleDoll025_zps5b09e966.jpg

There was a division of opinion, earlier, and I had my doubts, too... but now I'm all for voting Teen-Age Romances #4 into the Alice Kelley collection, if only on the basis of the visible ear. That's totally Alice's ear. Compare it to the b&w publicity photo...

DimpleDoll000_zpsbb8b05b2.jpg

DimpleDoll025_zps5b09e966.jpg

I definitely hope we can keep that one in because it's my favorite among her covers. I think you are right, though, that at least one of her grandparents must have been an elf.

I concur. The hint of a dimple is a giveaway, too.

I definitely hope we can keep that one in because it's my favorite among her covers. I think you are right, though, that at least one of her grandparents must have been an elf.

Maybe she's a distant descendant of Arwen and Aragorn...

148322.jpg.02013afbe94526a9448fe6a6a319a94c.jpg

Maybe she's a distant descendant of Arwen and Aragorn...

That would explain it! :D

Someone posted some Cowgirl Romances in the western thread a while ago, but since I already have plenty of westerns, I'll consider mine a romance comic and post it in this thread.

CowgirlRomances1_zps749d567d.jpg

Cool nights, warm lips, and hot bacon :cloud9:

It's funny how this thread has gone from "what are the rarest romance comics?" to "show your romance comics".

Here's one of mine and I hope Bo Hogg doesn't mind.

UntamedLove1_zps7cf251fa.jpg

Let your freak flag fly, my brother (thumbs u I don't think Bo Hogg would mind, though rare books are his thing for sure. Dang, that's a nice copy.