Albedo #1 & #2 Club
8 8

345 posts in this topic

3,788 posts
10 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

I hate to break this to you, but you are just wrong. You don't need to CGC a comic to insure it.  MANY high end collectors see no need to CGC books they are putting in a bank vault.  The proof is the testimony of the many high end collectors on this site who show their incredibly beautiful unencapsulated comics.  For example, to lead into this gently, here's some pictures of comics that are just sitting around in my old LCS owner's bank vault without CGC encapsulation in a small college town:

image.thumb.jpeg.39c87c4dd9ef416711580e04de6dd246.jpeg

ActionComicsGroupshot.jpg

MiniCon025.jpg

And this is just a small tip of a huge iceberg - just a small portion of the tiny portion of his books that have been posted on this site.

And then there's the most famous thread ever put up on these boards - BangZoom's "Golden Age Collection" thread full of unencapsulated high grade GA beauties, most of the best from a 2,000+ book original owner collection that would be given pedigree status if ever encapsulated, like these:

group.jpeg

ComicsCabinetGA.jpg

peps.jpeg

allamerican16.jpeg

adventure40.jpeg

If you want to see minds being blown, read this thread:

Some broken link images are here:

That Action1 is insane!

Edited by Wolverinex

1,083 posts
23 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

CGC is not a good tool to predict how many books of a given title survived.  It is a good tool to figure out which books are relatively more likely to be sold.

This right here is the truth nugget to focus on. CGC is priceless when it comes to adding security to selling books, and if I'm even remotely thinking of selling something decent in the future I'll have it slabbed (otherwise it sits in my collection in archive sleeves which I'm sure at least 90% of serious collectors do as well...no grading, that is). 

324 posts
12 hours ago, Ryan. said:

@sfcityduck, don't make yourself nuts trying to convince this guy. The comic collecting community prevalent on YouTube pushes a narrative that books with print runs in the 1500-2000 range are "ultra rare" and everything needs to be in a CGC slab to have real value. These collectors sink a ton of money into Moderns, usually get burned, and either smarten up or move on to a different hobby. 

@sfcityduck, don't make yourself nuts trying to convince this guy. The comic collecting community prevalent on YouTube pushes a narrative that books with print runs in the 1500-2000 range are "ultra rare" and everything needs to be in a CGC slab to have real value. These collectors sink a ton of money into Moderns, usually get burned, and either smarten up or move on to a different hobby. 

I hate to break it to u Ryan but I don't collect moderns and hate to burst this plucky ducks bubble but having a book not professionaly valued by a qualified insurer means u could have whatever book u think is 1 million dollars and say it's worth whatever.. Amatuers I deal with really makes me laugh 

4,227 posts
4 hours ago, Kalel38 said:

hate to burst this plucky ducks bubble but having a book not professionaly valued by a qualified insurer means u could have whatever book u think is 1 million dollars and say it's worth whatever.. Amatuers I deal with really makes me laugh 

Do you insure any collectibles or art?  I do.  And, no, cgc encapsulation is not required for obtaining insurance.  If an appraisal is required, the only thing that needs to be certified is the appraiser.  And there are lots of certified appraisers (CGC is a grader not an appraiser).  However, there are collectible insurers which do not require an appraisal for most items - like this one:  https://collectinsure.com/comics

Less paperwork and red tape
Unlike homeowners insurance, we do not require a schedule or appraisal for most items; however, you are responsible for maintaining your own inventory for insurance purposes (in the event of loss). The only exceptions are individual items or sets valued over $25,000 apiece, which would have to be scheduled.

4,227 posts
23 hours ago, Kalel38 said:

Amatuers I deal with really makes me laugh 

Dude, you didn't even know basic info about the Mile High Action 1 - the best book in the hobby - and you're calling other folks here "amateurs"?  

Not the best way to gain a deeper understanding of the hobby.

Edited by sfcityduck