• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Reasonable price for NM 98?

579 posts in this topic

Two of them are BINs and the auction ended with a very legitimate looking bidder winning.

And there is an explanation....The "leaked" deadpool movie footage got everyone buzzing again about the inevitable deadpool movie.

Check that: There does seem to be one guy winning most of the auctions. Unless he's trying to corner the market, we may see some re-lists on these. Will be interesting to check back to see if any feedback is left by either party. hm

-J.

Two of them are BINs and the auction ended with a very legitimate looking bidder winning.

And there is an explanation....The "leaked" deadpool movie footage got everyone buzzing again about the inevitable deadpool movie.

Check that: There does seem to be one guy winning most of the auctions. Unless he's trying to corner the market, we may see some re-lists on these. Will be interesting to check back to see if any feedback is left by either party. hm

-J.

(shrug)

A quick scan of the current ebay listings and I would have to say that it appears the days of NM 98, 9.8 BINs under $500.00 are over. Grades in the 9.0-9.6 also seem to be performing quite well.

In fact I only count 5 or so listings for them right now in a 9.8, as opposed to the usual 10 or so. The market looks a little dry right now, that may also have something to do with it. Time will tell if this price level is a blip or the new normal for this book.

-J.

This will be like ASM 300 IMHO. Around $450-$600 for a 9.8 then when the movie comes out the price will jump to about $1000 for a little while then back down to the $450-$600 range again.

I disagree with this comparison. There aren't that many asm 300s in 9.8 versus nm 98 in 9.8. Classic mcfarlane cover versus liefeld. Asm 300 are selling for $900+ ???

This will be like ASM 300 IMHO. Around $450-$600 for a 9.8 then when the movie comes out the price will jump to about $1000 for a little while then back down to the $450-$600 range again.

I disagree with this comparison. There aren't that many asm 300s in 9.8 versus nm 98 in 9.8. Classic mcfarlane cover versus liefeld. Asm 300 are selling for $900+ ???

I believe you missed his point due to the lack of context in Catwomancomics post. I actually like his comparison a lot. ASM 300 hit $1K during ASM3 movie hype and dropped like a rock after release/Venom suck fest. It slowly climbed back up and recently spiked to the levels we see it currently trading for.

For all of the valid reasons that you mentioned, I do not believe NM98 will recover as quickly as ASM300 did post movie.

Those few years between books might have made a bit of a difference in the number of speculators too.

I see high grade candidates (9.4-9.8) of this book all the time in market. Granted, the costs have been relatively high as well (+$200), but far below what is being highlighted here.

There are literally thousands more 9.8s that will come out of the woodworks. Net, unless you are desperate it is still relatively easy to get this book raw and sub it versus paying eBay prices.

I see high grade candidates (9.4-9.8) of this book all the time in market. Granted, the costs have been relatively high as well (+$200), but far below what is being highlighted here.

There are literally thousands more 9.8s that will come out of the woodworks. Net, unless you are desperate it is still relatively easy to get this book raw and sub it versus paying eBay prices.

The odd thing that I find with this book is that I've seen books with missing pieces, tears, or pretty serious creases still go for a good chunk of change, some close to $100. That I don't understand, when most copies are going to be significantly better.

Examples:

Missing piece: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-MUTANTS-98-1st-DEADPOOL-1st-DOMINO-MARVEL-COMICS-1991-/371125985031?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item5668d51f07&nma=true&si=qZTtYX1lDtoy0HOKfNJAGD2n7LI%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Described as Fine: http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Mutants-98-FN-1st-Deadpool-Appearance-Marvel-Comics-1991-/271544546199?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item3f3950f397&nma=true&si=qZTtYX1lDtoy0HOKfNJAGD2n7LI%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Corner creases: http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Mutants-98-First-appearance-of-Deadpool-/291233700677?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item43cee19b45&nma=true&si=qZTtYX1lDtoy0HOKfNJAGD2n7LI%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Coffee stains on cover: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-MUTANTS-98-1st-DEADPOOL-1st-DOMINO-1st-GIDEON-LOW-PRICE-WOW-/181445597683?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item2a3f0019f3&nma=true&si=qZTtYX1lDtoy0HOKfNJAGD2n7LI%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

The odd thing that I find with this book is that I've seen books with missing pieces, tears, or pretty serious creases still go for a good chunk of change, some close to $100. That I don't understand, when most copies are going to be significantly better.

Examples:

Missing piece: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-MUTANTS-98-1st-DEADPOOL-1st-DOMINO-MARVEL-COMICS-1991-/371125985031?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item5668d51f07&nma=true&si=qZTtYX1lDtoy0HOKfNJAGD2n7LI%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Described as Fine: http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Mutants-98-FN-1st-Deadpool-Appearance-Marvel-Comics-1991-/271544546199?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item3f3950f397&nma=true&si=qZTtYX1lDtoy0HOKfNJAGD2n7LI%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Corner creases: http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Mutants-98-First-appearance-of-Deadpool-/291233700677?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item43cee19b45&nma=true&si=qZTtYX1lDtoy0HOKfNJAGD2n7LI%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Coffee stains on cover: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-MUTANTS-98-1st-DEADPOOL-1st-DOMINO-1st-GIDEON-LOW-PRICE-WOW-/181445597683?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item2a3f0019f3&nma=true&si=qZTtYX1lDtoy0HOKfNJAGD2n7LI%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Totally agree, there are examples on both ends of the spectrum. The more I visit LCSs, the greater realization I come to that most of their employees either cannot grade or are dishonest about their grading.

Don't get me wrong, there are some goodies out there...

I'm guessing that this is one of those books that has a lot of people buying it that aren't really serious comic collectors. They just want a copy, and aren't too concerned about condition. So they are happy to get the $100 lower grade copy rather than the $200 higher grade copy.

Other books that I think are like this are ASM 300 or IH 181. My brother is a big Venom fan, and bought a water-damaged ASM 300 because he wanted to own his first appearance. He's not buying it for resale, and his funds are limited, so he bought the cheapest copy available.

Examples:

A while ago there was a guy buying every copy of the first app of the rhino in ASM, or so it seemed. I guess he was trying to corner that market. Looks like it may not work out that well given how lame the Rhino is in the latest spiderman movie (though he was doing this like 10-14 years ago, so he may just be making money on appreciation at all grade levels)

Clearly these are all shill purchases or shilled auctions. No reasonable other explanation!

-J.

(shrug)

I'm guessing that this is one of those books that has a lot of people buying it that aren't really serious comic collectors. They just want a copy, and aren't too concerned about condition. So they are happy to get the $100 lower grade copy rather than the $200 higher grade copy.

Other books that I think are like this are ASM 300 or IH 181. My brother is a big Venom fan, and bought a water-damaged ASM 300 because he wanted to own his first appearance. He's not buying it for resale, and his funds are limited, so he bought the cheapest copy available.

Over the past two years there has been a shift upwards on most of the bigger Copper keys where VG copies are not selling for much less than VF. You see it all the time. People will pay $100 for a low grade copy of a key just to have a copy for their collection irrespective of the fact that you could land a higher grade copy for not much more. ASM #300, BA #12, and Swamp Thing #37 are examples that come to mind, but there are many others.

You see this with SA and BA keys as well.

Another trend that a lot of other dealers and I talked about at a one day Calgary show this weekend - new collectors do not haggle. The only people that try to grind you down are the longer term collectors that I recognize from years past. Younger collectors see a book, they buy it, and do not bother to haggle or look around to see if they can find it cheaper. This is great for books like Deadpool and Harley Quinn - buy them at the LCS the day before, sticker them up to $6 - $10, and make a quick 2x or 3x.