• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ive lost ALL confidence in CGC - UPDATE on page 221
2 2

2,401 posts in this topic

Hey all,

As was mentioned previously in the thread, the matter is being investigated even as we speak.

As far as announcing anything here on the boards currently, the only two people authorized to do that are Paul or Harshen. Paul is currently flying back from Seattle and Harshen had scheduled the day off to to attend to his fathers surgery today.

Rest assured, once we have a better idea as to the facts involved, we'll make a statement here on the boards.

:applause:

thank you for posting this, and using a real account to do it.

#1, there's no need to destroy the book. The book didn't do anything.

#2, those of you who think the new submitter "gamed" the system, unless he/she bribed a grader, he/she didn't "game" anything. You pay for the service, you get the service. If I'd rather have my coppers graded by, say, Caffrey...and I would...am I "gaming" the system if I have him look at them? Am I "gaming" the system if I pre-screen?

If there's a perceived lack of consistency because of outside events, and everyone can be aware of those events (as the information is quite public), that is CGC's problem to address...not any submitter.

Totally agree with you on #1. However on #2, the facts are incriminating, especially with the timing. If he really didn't game the system, why doesn't he speak up and defend his position ?

Perhaps he feels there is nothing to defend, especially if he isn't planning on selling it, and even more so when half the posters on the thread seem to think he should surrender the book to CGC. I've yet to see an explanation of how he "gamed" the system, let alone how the timing was to his benefit, unless a belief that CGC is fallible is considered "gaming the system".

Are there any real collectors left out there ? Someone who buys a book and actually keeps it ?

Selling books does not exclude one from being a "real collector", and in this specific case there has been no indication that the buyer intends to sell. The implication in this question is little different from that of those who argue that slabbing books is antithetical to appreciating them as more than just commodities.

Hey all,

As was mentioned previously in the thread, the matter is being investigated even as we speak.

As far as announcing anything here on the boards currently, the only two people authorized to do that are Paul or Harshen. Paul is currently flying back from Seattle and Harshen had scheduled the day off to to attend to his fathers surgery today.

Rest assured, once we have a better idea as to the facts involved, we'll make a statement here on the boards.

Hopefully, an official statement includes details instead of a statement that everything was resolved with no facts or details on what was done to resolve the matter. I am concerned that the guy that resubmitted the PLOD 7.0 either just played the odds that CGC wouldn't detect the restoration because they can't consistently or he was a high volume submitter that got special treatment. Really hoping on another answer that makes sense. A statement that the matter has been resolved, but no details doesn't do the people who own CGC graded comics any good.

you want to burn a JIM 83? ROFL okeeeeeeeeeeeeee....

yes.....burn it.

That 100% guarantees it can never create the same problem again.

that's upside down face. You'd be better off to burn CGC headquarters and every slabbed container everywhere in the world.

Comics matter, CGC does not.

So explain to me what good it does keeping a scarlet letter book in circulation?

And if CGC purchases it, then why does it matter what they do to it??

Food for thought:

- In August 2011 a TMNT #1 3rd printing was incorrectly slabbed as a 1st printing CGC 9.8 and sold for $22,752 on Pedigree Comics site. Link to Pedigree sale

- CGC made the buyer whole by finding them another TMNT #1 CGC 9.8

- The book then reappeared for sale in September 2013 on Comiclink. Because boardies saw it, I was able to report it to Comiclink before it sold.

- We still don't know who has the book.

Link: TMNT Difference in Printings thread (page 27 where the book is back on Comiclink)

I'm surprised CGC didn't make returning the mislabled book for proper labeling a pre-condition of providing another copy.

I too have not read this entire thread but I get the jist of it.

Would it be more conducive to discretely "tattoo" the interior of the book with the CGC number to prevent this kind of fiasco? I think it would certainly prevent the books from going through the resubmittal and screwing up the census.

If i remember correctly, PSA/DNA has invisible ink. CGC could use that to barcode a book.

THEY BETTER NOT.

I don't want them adding chemicals to a book I won.

If I take it out and keep it raw why should they keep their mark on it

If they were to use invisible UV ink to "tattoo" the book in an inconspicuous area inside the book what difference would it make to you? Just means that if someone were to resubmit the book for grading it would come up in the CGC system as a book that had already been graded.

At least the customer could be notified that the book had previously been graded. I'm sure there are other logical advantages that could come of this!

I too have not read this entire thread but I get the jist of it.

Would it be more conducive to discretely "tattoo" the interior of the book with the CGC number to prevent this kind of fiasco? I think it would certainly prevent the books from going through the resubmittal and screwing up the census.

If i remember correctly, PSA/DNA has invisible ink. CGC could use that to barcode a book.

I'm not sure barcoding with solve anything that happened here. There is nothing to stop someone from buying a slabbed book, cracking it out TRIMMING it or ironing it, reading it...or just handling it poorly. Anything could change the grade of the book before it's resubmitted.

It might be useful to deter theft but won't help the crack press fiddle resub issues.

I agree that it may not be useful for this situation currently, however if CGC were to implement the barcode/invisible ink linking the actual book to the system and not just the holder and make this information public then it might stabilize the somewhat fragile state that the hobby appears to be going through.

It would deter theft, and also deter the "resubmit and see if I can get a better grade" mentality. I think once a book as been submitted that there should not be the opportunity to crack it open and press, trim, resubmit etc. I mean George Costanza couldn't return his "flagged" book for a refund so why should a slabbed book allowed to be cracked and resubmitted for the sake of profit or cheating the other guy? After all the CGC graders are only human right?

Am I alone in this belief or is this what the hobby is turning to?

No, but what you suggest would kill the pressing cottage industry, and kill profits for most of the big time dealers.

They wouldn`t want that. It would hit their profits like a ton of bricks.

:tonofbricks:

I'm not so sure it would kill the pressing industry. After all if the rest of the comic book enthusiasts are removing books from slabs only to have them pressed and reslabbed hoping for a higher grade isn't this entire thread proof positive that regarding doesn't always mean a higher grade?

Besides I'm sure there are enough "raw" books out there to keep the pressing industry pressing forward. (see what I did there :grin:) and at the same time bring stabilization to the CGC census.

How does CGC keep track of books that have been resubmitted for grading once they have been removed from their holders and resubmitted raw? Just how far out is the census???

I've not only sold books out of my collection, including some OO books I had carted around for 40 years, but have actually purchased books with the intent of reselling them for a PROFIT :o

I must be a bad collector. :(

I've not only sold books out of my collection, including some OO books I had carted around for 40 years, but have actually purchased books with the intent of reselling them for a PROFIT :o

(tsk)

Your a re-collector (tsk)

Are there any real collectors left out there ? Someone who buys a book and actually keeps it ?

:hi:

:hi::hi:

:hi::hi::hi:

:hi::hi::hi::hi:

:hi::hi::hi::hi::hi: I hate to sell books and only do so on rare occasions...ask a few of my boardie friends, they make fun of me because of my attachments. lol

:hi::hi::hi::hi::hi::hi: - I don't sell books, trade sometimes, never sell.