• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gauging interest in sketch opps with Huebert Khan Michael and Ryan Benjamin
1 1

72 posts in this topic

Last time Mike responded with an update in the group pm thread was the 13th of May after I'd stated I'd like a refund due to the lack of progress. He asked for my paypal address and that he'd made some headway with Ryan's rep and would pm details the following day.

Nothing heard of since... and I perceive there to be a lack of communication/updates and my private pm to him has still been unread as of the 15th of April.

I've heard of some challenging external factors but think enough patience has been extended after his last reply. I'm not the only one who's been disappointed how things have gone.

Last time Mike responded with an update in the group pm thread was the 13th of May after I'd stated I'd like a refund due to the lack of progress. He asked for my paypal address and that he'd made some headway with Ryan's rep and would pm details the following day.

Nothing heard of since... and I perceive there to be a lack of communication/updates and my private pm to him has still been unread as of the 15th of April.

I've heard of some challenging external factors but think enough patience has been extended after his last reply. I'm not the only one who's been disappointed how things have gone.

I seen Ryan posting some art online and it reminded me of this opp. I should have been part of the group Pm also, but I wasn't included since I was last minute.Thanks for the reply. At least I know I'm not the only one waiting.

I know right now Mike has had a lot of personal issues on his side and while not an excuse I do know some of the issues have caused the delay in communication. I don't want to put his personal issues out here but just give the guy a little more time and you all should see something. If it were me I would be right there in the same boat so I do feel for the guy.

Ryan completed 2 of 4 books

2 sketches have been sent to their respective owners

Have gotten confirm that refunds for the other two sketches should be received by the end of the month. My apologies for slow responses and delays, will make this right for everyone involved thank you

I posted in the pm thread but I think there might be one op participant who isn't included so:

I'm finally out of this op with a full refund including fees and my blank. Mike and I had communication over the last few months via email and I'm happy to put this to bed. I've no ill feelings towards Mike, I know challenges outside of the boards can drastically affect things and I hope things look up for him.

It was my first participation in a sketch op on these boards and an unfortunate one. I've had one sketch arranged and completed at a convention via a facilitator which was fantastic and likely to only collect these from the artists themselves as that direct connection adds a lot more to the experience.

I'm not opposed to sketch ops on the boards, but there needs to be a whole lot more communication from whomever runs them at all times. I don't know if CGC take on board how many of these get completed but I'm all good now and hope anyone else outstanding will be as well soon.

Laughing M4N,I am happy to hear that everything got resolved for you. I want to mention that I have been apart of 3 separate Sketch opps that Mike Jeter has offered and each of them went smoothly with great communication by Mike.

As someone who has run no less then 30 opps for over 7 years (link to my first sketch opp in 2009 with Mike Zeck can be found here, http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=169073&Number=3397612#Post3397612),

I would like to reflect on a few things you mentioned in your post:

I've no ill feelings towards Mike, I know challenges outside of the boards can drastically affect things and I hope things look up for him.

Yes there are MANY things we as facilitators cannot predict when running opps, this includes (but is not limited to) artists who face unexpected work or personal commitments. In some rare cases artists have been know to go RADIO SILENT; stop answering emails, texts, phone calls etc. In situations we as facilitators can only do so much in order to get sketches completed. Some methods that have been implemented to reduce this from happening include holding money in escrow until the pieces are completed. Unfortunately this doesnt work with all as some artists sill require payment upfront.

It was my first participation in a sketch op on these boards and an unfortunate one. I've had one sketch arranged and completed at a convention via a facilitator which was fantastic and likely to only collect these from the artists themselves as that direct connection adds a lot more to the experience.

Getting sketches in person IS AWESOME!!! However not everyone is able to attend shows. When I started offering opps on the boards it was basically for 3 reasons.

1. I wanted to offer sketch opportunities with artist that were NOT attending shows. If you do a search you will see my first few opps were with artists that had not attended any show for years including Mike Zeck (who now is everywhere) Dave Simons RIP, Al Milgrom, Don Perlin etc.

2. I didnt want to fill up sketch lists with artists at conventions with requests for me and client (hey I am a collector too you know lol)

3. I wanted to offer higher quality pieces/ie at home commissions

I'm not opposed to sketch ops on the boards, but there needs to be a whole lot more communication from whomever runs them at all times. I don't know if CGC take on board how many of these get completed but I'm all good now and hope anyone else outstanding will be as well soon.

I cannot speak for every facilitator BUT I can tell you all MY opps and all the OPPS that I have been apart of (DarrellF, A-DONIS, Alphatrion1, THECOLLECTOR, DennisRodmanofSS) have ALWAYS had great communication. Yes some take a little longer than expected, but all were completed.

Again, I am happy you got everything resolved with Mike. But please do not allow your experience, in this, your ONE AND ONLY OPP, be reflection of all OPPS and facilitators who ru them here on the boards.

-Dan

Edited by Par2ch

Hi Dan :hi:

Thank you for the reply and education in such matters :) and I greatly appreciate the opportunities to receive a sketch from artists who I'd never have a chance of meeting as well as the other work all facilitators provide that I've been lucky enough to partake in via this forum.

A big thank you to you all who do this on such a regular and successful basis :applause:

I did do my research prior to joining the op and saw that Mike had successfully completed many, and I also take notes of others with a consistent presence to hopefully join in on in the future when funds and collecting focus allow.

I totally understand that extenuating circumstances can derail the best of plans and good intentions, and those that you mentioned could have been a cause, I'm not blind to that despite it being my first participation.

If my wording lead you to the conclusion that I was reflecting on other facilitators and opps on the boards then my apologies and it was my mistake. That other sketch I referred to wasn't an at home op to my knowledge nor attained at the same convention when it was offered to me and was a positive experience. It's proudly shown in my signature.

The communication aspect was because everything stopped for a long period. We learnt why this was the case and comms were re-established, again a lot of time inbetween and chasing up but through patience and working together, Mike and I have concluded our business.

That's the only negative, the fact I had to chase for information rather than being advised and then chase up refunds. But as I said, I've absolutely no ill will and I'd like to see Mike back on the boards and active soon (thumbs u He's always been courteous and polite throughout the process and to the conclusion.

Communication is the biggest factor here and I just wanted to mention it as a polite reminder in general as it puts nervous minds at ease (thumbs u

I posted in the pm thread but I think there might be one op participant who isn't included so:

I'm finally out of this op with a full refund including fees and my blank. Mike and I had communication over the last few months via email and I'm happy to put this to bed. I've no ill feelings towards Mike, I know challenges outside of the boards can drastically affect things and I hope things look up for him.

Thanks for the update. It's unfortunate that we won't receive our sketches, but at least this long overdue opp will finally come to an end soon :wishluck:

Laughing M4N,I am happy to hear that everything got resolved for you. I want to mention that I have been apart of 3 separate Sketch opps that Mike Jeter has offered and each of them went smoothly with great communication by Mike.

As someone who has run no less then 30 opps for over 7 years (link to my first sketch opp in 2009 with Mike Zeck can be found here, http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=169073&Number=3397612#Post3397612),

I would like to reflect on a few things you mentioned in your post:

I've no ill feelings towards Mike, I know challenges outside of the boards can drastically affect things and I hope things look up for him.

Yes there are MANY things we as facilitators cannot predict when running opps, this includes (but is not limited to) artists who face unexpected work or personal commitments. In some rare cases artists have been know to go RADIO SILENT; stop answering emails, texts, phone calls etc. In situations we as facilitators can only do so much in order to get sketches completed. Some methods that have been implemented to reduce this from happening include holding money in escrow until the pieces are completed. Unfortunately this doesnt work with all as some artists sill require payment upfront.

Getting sketches in person IS AWESOME!!! However not everyone is able to attend shows. When I started offering opps on the boards it was basically for 3 reasons.

1. I wanted to offer sketch opportunities with artist that were NOT attending shows. If you do a search you will see my first few opps were with artists that had not attended any show for years including Mike Zeck (who now is everywhere) Dave Simons RIP, Al Milgrom, Don Perlin etc.

2. I didnt want to fill up sketch lists with artists at conventions with requests for me and client (hey I am a collector too you know lol)

3. I wanted to offer higher quality pieces/ie at home commissions

I cannot speak for every facilitator BUT I can tell you all MY opps and all the OPPS that I have been apart of (DarrellF, A-DONIS, Alphatrion1, THECOLLECTOR, DennisRodmanofSS) have ALWAYS had great communication. Yes some take a little longer than expected, but all were completed.

Again, I am happy you got everything resolved with Mike. But please do not allow your experience, in this, your ONE AND ONLY OPP, be reflection of all OPPS and facilitators who ru them here on the boards.

-Dan

My sincere apologies to Boon and other individuals

I have completed many many opportunities here on the boards. I have come up against an unfortunate set of circumstances, but I've done my best to contact art reps, find out whats's going on with the outstanding books,etc. The staff at CGC has done an amazing job at getting books shipped directly in some opps so the boardies can get their books quickly.

Herb Trimpe---passed away; I'm working to get refunds to 2 customers

****Please do not contact Mrs' Trimpe or anyone related to the Trimpe art support sysyem. I will refund you directly, please contact me directly

Dell'otto--21 sketches altogether, some boardies did not pay their last portion of the group sketch rate so I was stuck with paying this out of pocket. Luckily a boardie offered to pay the remaining balance for these. This opp took a really long time, but last batch of books are currently at CGC

Ardian Syaf--went to China, when he returned he was able to mail these to CGC. These books are in my possession and I've been mailing these out. If you haven't recieved your Ardian sketch please email me at mjeter4@gmail.com thank you

Edited by Mr Mylar

It's been 6 months since I was told I was supposed to receive my refund "soon"

I swear I have the worst luck with ops :sorry:

Sorry man, this sucks.

I think CGC should put in a rule that there needs to be a HARD DEADLINE for sketch opps to be done. It can be anything, but it needs to be stated up front so people know. And if the deadline can't be met, there should be a HARD DEADLINE for how soon people get refunded. And when money can't be refunded by that time for any reason, the CGC account of the facilitator should be SUSPENDED until all obligations are met, meaning no submissions, no witnessing. They collected the money and are acting as an agent, and would generally be considered liable from a legal perspective, and should be treated as such.

I get that many times the facilitators are not the reason for delays, but NO ONE IS FORCING anyone to facilitate a sketch opp. I'm not saying they should be punished, but they should be forced to CAREFULLY EVALUATE if they ARE SURE they can facilitate the opp in a timely manner (part of the facilitation is managing the talent), and that it will be worth all the time and effort, and IF ITS NOT WORTH IT, then the facilitator should not undertake the opp.

Sorry to hear bud. On a positive note your MOS books were signed this past weekend's Magic City Comic Con and driven over to CGC yesterday

Sorry man, this sucks.

I think CGC should put in a rule that there needs to be a HARD DEADLINE for sketch opps to be done. It can be anything, but it needs to be stated up front so people know. And if the deadline can't be met, there should be a HARD DEADLINE for how soon people get refunded. And when money can't be refunded by that time for any reason, the CGC account of the facilitator should be SUSPENDED until all obligations are met, meaning no submissions, no witnessing. They collected the money and are acting as an agent, and would generally be considered liable from a legal perspective, and should be treated as such.

I get that many times the facilitators are not the reason for delays, but NO ONE IS FORCING anyone to facilitate a sketch opp. I'm not saying they should be punished, but they should be forced to CAREFULLY EVALUATE if they ARE SURE they can facilitate the opp in a timely manner (part of the facilitation is managing the talent), and that it will be worth all the time and effort, and IF ITS NOT WORTH IT, then the facilitator should not undertake the opp.

I agree 100%

Out of the 4 missing facilitators that owe me money, this is probably the only one who will make things right.

Sorry to hear bud. On a positive note your MOS books were signed this past weekend's Magic City Comic Con and driven over to CGC yesterday

Thanks, Daniel

I had no worries you'd get them done

Has anyone actually received their refund yet?

I am still waiting and I know 1dingo is as well. I continually chase every couple months for a refund and get told i will get it by xx time and then nothing.