• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM 238 missing tattooz: valuation question

85 posts in this topic

I just took a look at my FF 252 and it would not be easy. You would have to remove the staples as the insert is post card sized with 1-2 inches under the front cover thorough the top staple and the rest of it is in front of the back cover. Not sure its worth it to try to get staples all the way out and then put them back in. but could be done.

You could just do what was probably done with mine. Just nicely tear it off and put the 2 parts in the book. Its detached but its there. And honestly when you jam it into the comic is doesn't look detached unless you pull it out. Its still a ASM 238 with Tattoo.

Find an ff with the tats,as it is cheap,and see if they can still be applied. Post pics.

Will do. Gonna track one down this weekend

If you can grab a few cheaply, I'd recommend that. During the staple process, you may find some vary compared to others. The holes may not line up cleanly.

OR, mark off on a piece of paper the ASM 238 stable holes, and match this up to FF books. Then, you only have to purchase one.

Find an ff with the tats,as it is cheap,and see if they can still be applied. Post pics.

Will do. Gonna track one down this weekend

Excellent!!

Now someone replacing the tats into an ASM..would that not be restoration?

If you could prove it I guess it would be but unless you write on the book "I PUT IN ANOTHER TATTOO " or you do a really bad job there is no way to know. if you put 1 book with the Tattoos in it naturally against a book with the Tattoos added it would look the same. Again if you dont mess it up.

If you could prove it I guess it would be but unless you write on the book "I PUT IN ANOTHER TATTOO " or you do a really bad job there is no way to know. if you put 1 book with the Tattoos in it naturally against a book with the Tattoos added it would look the same. Again if you dont mess it up.
So barely detectable or undetectable resto = no resto. Got it. :o

So barely detectable or undetectable resto = no resto. Got it. :o

Considered restoration by whom? I don't think a third party would be able to tell, but who knows.

I suppsoe that there could be a way CGC could detect it but really How do you detect something that belonged in the book to begin with . Again as long as you do it right it looks the same. . The tatoos from FF are the exact same ones in the ASM.

As I said people were doing this years ago with this book (how I knew about it) and I bet there are alot of folks who have copies that this was done to and they dont know but there is no way to know again as long as you do it correct.

Would be more akin to if you replaced the Staples from the exact same book . Example if i took a staple out of Amazing Fantasy 15 and replaced it into another AF 15. Its the exact same Tattoo . But I agree it should be discolsed as some buyers might care but the issue is that since this is done more then you know with this issue there is no way to prove how many out there had this procedure done. Once it leaves the hands of the person who put the tattoo in it , it would never be known.

And for full disclosure i did not do this to sell the book. Just did it to see if I could for the OP.

By the way there will be a copy of ASM 238 w/ Tattoo's by me in the For Sale forum tomorrow but its not this one , honest.

I'd like to ask what exactly is missing. Is the insert still there but the little mini stickers are missing or is the whole insert missing?

If it's just the mini tatooz sticker is there a way to re insert the tatooz sticker into the insert without disassembly?

Also, I thought that there were some cases where the insert was not attached. I vaguely recall reading that some of the inserts would fall out of the comic when being distributed and/or sold back in '83

Ed

It's a "married" tattooz, and I guarantee that I could detect it. :grin: I don't think you'd get it by CGC either. ;)

I know of someone that submitted an ASM 238 and a Harbinger 1 that made it through CGC with an end result of blue labels after replacing the coupons. The feedback I received on changing out the coupon with a Harbinger 1 is it is the worst, as if you get it wrong the cover breaks open from the weak paper.

I say it is restored no matter what,and shady not to disclose.It wouldn't matter to me either way,new tats or old,but a deliberate deception thinking well,they'll never know is very Ross'ish to me.as CGC claims,value should not be affected, but obviously it will.replacing without disclosing is snakey doo. (tsk)

Nothing wrong with doing it to make yourself happy though...besides destroying a poor ol' FF comic :cry:

It's a "married" tattooz, and I guarantee that I could detect it. :grin: I don't think you'd get it by CGC either. ;)

I know of someone that submitted an ASM 238 and a Harbinger 1 that made it through CGC with an end result of blue labels after replacing the coupons. The feedback I received on changing out the coupon with a Harbinger 1 is it is the worst, as if you get it wrong the cover breaks open from the weak paper.

Doesn't the ASM #238 (with tatooz missing) still get a Blue label, but with the notation? hm I'm pretty sure I've seen plenty of those. Much like Harbinger #1.

hm I guess not:

$_57.JPG