• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cry For Dawn / Dawn Appreciation Thread
6 6

291 posts in this topic

I need some assistance determining if either of these 2 copies of Cry for Dawn #1 are original.

These are not mine and are the best pictures I can get. I see some of the checker pattern described, but not sure that's because it's there or I zoomed in too much. Can't find my copy to compare.

Thanks for the help. You should be able to click the picture and zoom in a bit more.

GnB7OlHl.jpg

369ZlePl.jpg

7DZFzEtl.jpg

3KwonN3l.jpg

I managed to track down my own copy and have an opinion; would like to hear from a couple others though.

I wasn't aware counterfeiting was an issue with this one. (shrug)

https://www.cgccomics.com/census/grades_standard.asp?title=Cry+For+Dawn+-+COUNTERFEIT&issue=1&publisher=no+publisher+listed&year=1989&issuedate=4%2F89

:takeit:

Are you taking my copy or these 2? hm

7DZFzEtl.jpg

This looks counterfeit. I can't tell from the other pictures.

My thought as well. Even though it's not in hand, comparing to my copy something looks off.

Owner says he bought both copies on eBay in early 2000's.

The book doesn't look right. The cover looks enlarged. The "C" in the title is partially cut off at the spine,the ghoul has most of the eye socket cut off at the edge, and the blood trail on the bottom of the cover (especially the one that is in the center) looks a lot different from graded copies.

The cross-hatching looks like those are counterfeit.

Legit copy scanned at high resolution: http://valiantman.com/dream/0148346002.jpg

Counterfeit copy scanned at high resolution: http://valiantman.com/dream/0246886003.jpg

50AE_DE is right. The counterfeits were enlarged images of the original (which caused the cross-hatching).

The "Cry for Dawn" logo is higher up on the counterfeit, closer to the top edge due to being enlarged. And the center blood trail on the bottom is another good place to compare as well. Seeing it on the top and bottom of the book shows it wasn't simply cut wrong off the printer, but actually an enlarged image. You can see it in the examples above too.

Another tell is to look inside the book. Pages are printed darker.

Hard to tell from scans Manetteska, but yours are showing signs of being counterfeit... :sorry:

Here are some pictures of mine that may help. I have a 1st print and counterfeit.

Here they are side by side (real on the left, counterfeit on the right):

side%20by%20side%202_zpsp3xv08ao.jpg

Here they are on top of each other. Notice the "Volume One" logo is higher on the counterfeit and at the same time "Linsner" is lower at the bottom.

on%20top%20of%20each%20other2_zpshyvei3qo.jpg

Also, the counterfeit is printed darker inside the book. Here are some examples:

center2_zpszugg1bku.jpg

last%20page2_zpsfsx1vspx.jpg