• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE FANTASTIC FOUR #1 CLUB
14 14

1,088 posts in this topic

On 2017-03-02 at 11:45 PM, Gotham Kid said:

Apparently the FF1 9.0 on ComicLink went 40K under GPA :whatthe:

I was leaving the Seattle show (3 hour time difference) when I say the result. If I'd seen it going that cheap I'd have bid.

Sometimes things just slip through the cracks. You know that book is going to be up for sale with a $130-150K price tag soon.

4 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

I was leaving the Seattle show (3 hour time difference) when I say the result. If I'd seen it going that cheap I'd have bid.

Sometimes things just slip through the cracks. You know that book is going to be up for sale with a $130-150K price tag soon.

For sure someone got a great deal....and it's not the seller!!

4 hours ago, Mr bla bla said:

Never catch a falling knife...

You're calling it a faling knife because one book fell through the cracks?

That sounds alarmist to me as the book has been selling well in other grades.

What ruins a market (any market) is fear. The over-analyzing and over-compensating of the current market based on real time data is what is the negative side of the information age.

I have buyers looking for 9.4 and 9.6 copies of this book.

That doesn't sound like a falling knife to me.

Edited by VintageComics

2 hours ago, VintageComics said:

You're calling it a falling knife because one book fell through the cracks?

That sounds alarmist to me as the book has been selling well in other grades.

What ruins a market (any market) is fear. The over-analyzing and over-compensating of the current market based on real time data is what is the negative side of the information age.

I have buyers looking for 9.4 and 9.6 copies of this book.

That doesn't sound like a falling knife to me.

Agreed 1 sale means nothing!!

The FF 1 went for 90k.  Over the last 5 years there have been 3 tracked sales.

2012=145k

2015=143k

2016=132k

2017=90k

Clearly a trend of diminishing interest in stark contrast to other major keys of the ERA. I think not having a continuing support book and a series of bad films has hurt FF. Its funny because FF original comic art sells really well I've found.

2 hours ago, zhamlau said:

The FF 1 went for 90k.  Over the last 5 years there have been 3 tracked sales.

2012=145k

2015=143k

2016=132k

2017=90k

Clearly a trend of diminishing interest in stark contrast to other major keys of the ERA. I think not having a continuing support book and a series of bad films has hurt FF. Its funny because FF original comic art sells really well I've found.

Perhaps, but that's so little sales data it's not possible to draw any definitive conclusions on the trajectory of the price and whether there even is any trajectory to it.  Let's see what the Fantucchio copy goes for and re-evaluate then.

And while movies can have a big influence on the demand for a key comic, they aren't the only determining factor by any means.  When you consider the importance of the Lee/Kirby creation that began Marvel's ascendency in the industry, including starting the mythical universe upon which their entire movie franchise is based, it can be argued that this comic book will persist at the least and possibly grow even more as an iconic piece of 20th century pop culture.

Edited by namisgr

All the other Fantastic Four books did very well in that last C-Link auctions, especially those pedigree Amazing Spider-mans from the John G. Fantucchio collection.  I agree 95K for that last FF #1 CGC 9.0 was pretty bad, however I curious to see how strong this next FF #1 CGC 9.0 from the John G. Fantucchio does in May. 

(BTW this is my first new post on the new boards.  I am not understanding how some basic features from the old boards were left omitted so far such as clicking back on threads where it shows you on the main page there are new posts. A common sense feature I would have to assume will be implemented in the near future.)

ff 1.jpg

That sale was perfectly solid.  Just because it didn't topple the last sale really isn't a big deal.  50k+ plus for ASM #1 CGC 9.0 is very strong considering its double CGC 8.5's sales as well that copy went much higher than all previous sales CGC 9.0's sales.

The only book that I felt went too low was the FF #1 CGC 9.0.

Below is screenshot GPA of ASM #1 CGC 9.0

Screen Shot 2017-03-06 at 3.56.42 PM.png

Edited by NewWorldOrder 1

21 hours ago, paul747 said:

The John G. Fantucchio  Amazing Spider-man #1 9.0 apparently fell through the cracks It went real low just like the FF #1 and it was a stunner !

How do you figure? I'd estimated that book to end at $50-60K and it ended at $56K

A 9.2 was just on eBay for $80K

I think it sold exactly where it should have sold.

3 hours ago, VintageComics said:

How do you figure? I'd estimated that book to end at $50-60K and it ended at $56K

A 9.2 was just on eBay for $80K

I think it sold exactly where it should have sold.

Well I figure it went for 10 grand less than last sale and it was a flawless 9.0  and its kinda a pedigree book with White pages.

Edited by paul747

14 minutes ago, paul747 said:

Well I figure it went for 10 grand less than last sale and it was a flawless 9.0  and its kinda a pedigree book with White pages.

I would say the $66K sale was the outlier as that was 9.1 price.

The problem with using immediate data is that everyone is quick to make assumptions gut they don't look at the big picture.

And two prices don't make a trend. :blush:

1 hour ago, VintageComics said:

I would say the $66K sale was the outlier as that was 9.1 price.

The problem with using immediate data is that everyone is quick to make assumptions gut they don't look at the big picture.

And two prices don't make a trend. :blush:

I understand that and agree. I think with so many pages in some of these auctions things get lost a little

Edited by paul747