• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Reasonable Price for ASM 361

489 posts in this topic

Man, just came across this thread today and it has been VERY informative.  I remember when these books were selling for $5 and shops would just have stacks of #362/#363.  I never would have imagined #361 would be selling for so much.  I might have to get my copy slabbed.  Not that I would ever consider selling mine, but any idea how much CGC SS copies have sold for?  I see this ebay auction (http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMAZING-SPIDER-MAN-361-CGC-9-8-3X-SS-STAN-LEE-MARK-BAGLEY-MICHELINIE-1ST-CARNAGE-/172755414191?hash=item2839066caf:g:1WQAAOSw3h1ZVYTn) , but until it actually sells, that price doesn't mean much.

5 hours ago, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

I don't think they had a choice but to ding the grading.  I have to tilt my head to look at itlol.

Even if it got graded a 9.8 I think most collectors would look for a better copy to buy.

This was from a couple of years ago and you would be surprised how many people don't care. It sold quickly...of course I had little room to haggle because it's so ugly, but I want to say I got GPA average at the time.

Amazing Spiderman #361c.jpg

I think most buyer pay average GPA on the book as this book has a horrible wrap and it's expected

i have gotten higher than GPA on books that have had a perfect wrap (or no printer tears)

Edited by jsilverjanet

2 hours ago, jsilverjanet said:

I think most buyer pay average GPA on the book as this book has a horrible wrap and it's expected

i have gotten higher than GPA on books that have had a perfect wrap (or no printer tears)

When there are differences for a comic (but no differentiation by CGC), it's interesting how the preferred difference (a perfect wrap) usually has a slight premium vs. GPA average prices, but the GPA average includes that premium.  It's a bit of a circular calculation, and both books can benefit, even though the preferred book is the only one that's preferred.

For example:

If 8 copies of the bad wrap are sold, and 2 copies of the good wrap get an extra $20 each, the GPA average (for all 10 copies) would be $2 higher than the bad wrap average.

Since the bad wrap generally sells for the GPA average, the bad wrap starts getting an extra $2.  The good wrap gets that extra $2 from the average plus the premium of being a good wrap, so you start getting a $4 premium... which means the bad wraps begin selling for $4 more.  Rinse and repeat.

It's funny how people will actually pay more while thinking they're not paying more.

10 hours ago, jsilverjanet said:

If bad books get the average and good books get more then how is the average the average?