• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic Book Spine Realignment Therapy, turn your 8.5's into 9.2's!

3,329 posts in this topic

I put most of the blame on CGC. The defects are still there.

Nick is right, the book should have been a 7.5 to begin with. That it was graded 8.5, then upgraded to 9.2 with the same defects, is ridiculous.

^^

I just looked real good - put two screens up at once

If you look REAL CLOSE there are two boxes - the upper Yellow Ad box and the lower Green box - they DO sit closer to the edge towards the left of the comic - definitely a TRIM job!!!

Take a real good look at the back cover scans for yourselves CAL...

They look identical to me. Your eyes might be playing tricks on you because you have the fanned pages in the 8.5 copy that are not visible in the 9.2 scan.

It's also nearly impossible to accurately compare 2 different quality photos and at 2 different angles, no less.

We had a Marvel Mystery discussion a few years ago and everyone screamed trimming...and this is where huge scans were available at the time of both books and in the end the book conclusively turned out not to be trimmed.

There is much less evidence in this case.

If you look REAL CLOSE there are two boxes - the upper Yellow Ad box and the lower Green box - they DO sit closer to the edge towards the left of the comic - definitely a TRIM job!!!

They look identical to me. Your eyes might be playing tricks on you because you have the fanned pages in the 8.5 copy that are not visible in the 9.2 scan.

It's also nearly impossible to accurately compare 2 different quality photos and at 2 different angles, no less.

We had a Marvel Mystery discussion a few years ago and everyone screamed trimming...and this is where huge scans were available at the time of both books and in the end the book conclusively turned out not to be trimmed.

its not trimmed lmao

If you have a spine rolled book and that book is flattened so that the pages fan they would generally line up exactly like this one would. All pages would fan from one to the next.

Exactly. I think a few people are interpreting the pics as the cover having shifted position in relation to the rest of pages, which is not the case. The entire spine has rolled back, creating the fanned pages visible from the front. It is a spine roll by any definition.

Oh, and for those who think CGC's standards haven't slipped over the years, please explain how a 7.5 is now in a 9.2 holder? hm

Well, it was graded an 8.5 in one of CGC's looser periods, the book received the 9.2 in one of CGC's looserer periods, last Tuesday, March 5. :screwy:

If you have a spine rolled book and that book is flattened so that the pages fan they would generally line up exactly like this one would. All pages would fan from one to the next.

Exactly. I think a few people are interpreting the pics as the cover having shifted position in relation to the rest of pages, which is not the case. The entire spine has rolled back, creating the fanned pages visible from the front. It is a spine roll by any definition.

We quibble over terms.

Absolutely. Nothing to see here - let's move on, people. :eyeroll:

We quibble over terms.

So, a natural spine roll detracts from the grade while an artificial spine roll improves the grade.

Gordon Bennett! I think I've got it!

:o

We quibble over terms.

So, a natural spine roll detracts from the grade while an artificial spine roll improves the grade.

Or the exact opposite!!! Either way, whatever we're concerned with shouldn't concern us!!! End of!!

We quibble over terms.

Or the exact opposite!!! Either way, whatever we're concerned with shouldn't concern us!!! End of!!

(tsk)

Evil prevails when good men don't blow smoke up CGC's arse.

Was the eye roll directed at me or just in general?

I wanna make sure before I type my next post and start dividing the camps!

:D

Generally, it would seem. You were referring to the book not being trimmed, which is almost definitely the case.

The book hasn't been trimmed.

:facepalm:

The evidence is substantial and definite. All this hubris about two photos being impossible to compare and invoking one previous case from several years ago to muddy the waters does force one to throw one's hat into the ring.

Really? :o

I was just joking about the "dividing the camps" stuff. I wasn't trying to muddy the waters. (shrug)

How anyone can accurately conclude a micro trim job from two poor, dissimilar photographs (one of which has the book straight on and one of which has the book at an angle) is beyond me when the majority of the chat forum had it completely wrong with two large size, 2 dimensional scans comparing both books side by side and overlapping each other.

If the CGC music ever suddenly stops playing in this hobby, whoever is left holding this piece of mess Avengers # 1 will lose a lot of money. The fact that the book is sitting jn a 9.2 blue label holder is just ridiculous beyond words and I think it's an eye opener to a lot of people who always think that CGC is right in what they do.

The evidence is substantial and definite. All this hubris about two photos being impossible to compare and invoking one previous case from several years ago to muddy the waters does force one to throw one's hat into the ring.

Really? :o

I was just joking about the "dividing the camps" stuff. I wasn't trying to muddy the waters. (shrug)

How anyone can accurately conclude a micro trim job from two poor, dissimilar photographs (one of which has the book straight on and one of which has the book at an angle) is beyond me when the majority of the chat forum had it completely wrong with two large size, 2 dimensional scans comparing both books side by side and overlapping each other.

Edited my previous post - you were referring only to the alleged trimming. I agree with what you said regarding that.

Edited my previous post - you were referring only to the trimming. I agree with what you said regarding that.

:foryou:

:cloud9:

If the CGC music ever suddenly stops playing in this hobby, whoever is left holding this piece of mess Avengers # 1 will lose a lot of money. The fact that the book is sitting jn a 9.2 blue label holder is just ridiculous beyond words and I think it's an eye opener to a lot of people who always think that CGC is right in what they do.

Agreed.

Plus, let's not lose sight of the real problem. There's pressing and then there's stupidity. Stupidity is what CGC is encouraging, fostering, and displaying in allowing something like that in a blue label. The CGC is the one creating a marketplace where that type of creative manipulation is acceptable. I don't see these type of books jumping off the shelves with that level of eye appeal.

I agree with your comments about CGC, but this book will sell, and the seller will make a handsome profit. Whether it gets standard 9.2 money or not really doesn't matter because the profit is conducive to more of this kind of activity. The larger implication is that the confidence in graded books continues to erode over time, in conjunction with oversaturation, as frankenbooks, general pressing, and overgrading swells the census.

The CGC will push profits to the breaking point, so this long-term effect likely doesn't concern them. It's collectors who need to be concerned. If I had money I was counting on tied into graded books, I'd get out now.