• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic Book Spine Realignment Therapy, turn your 8.5's into 9.2's!

3,329 posts in this topic

Plus, let's not lose sight of the real problem. There's pressing and then there's stupidity. Stupidity is what CGC is encouraging, fostering, and displaying in allowing something like that in a blue label. The CGC is the one creating a marketplace where that type of creative manipulation is acceptable. I don't see these type of books jumping off the shelves with that level of eye appeal.

I agree with your comments about CGC, but this book will sell, and the seller will make a handsome profit. Whether it gets standard 9.2 money or not really doesn't matter because the profit is conducive to more of this kind of activity.

What if the book sells for 8.5 money?

It is a big issue for hard core collectors as it will temper the disparity in values between high grade/high value books. It dilutes the value of other high grade books.

Meta considerations:

It is a transfer of $ from high grade books to lower grade books with a cut taken by the presser and CGC.

Especially as these Frankenbook sales get reported to GPA. They will inevitably pull the price down.

It does, however, add viability to the CVA service. (If I were a paranoid man I would suspect those that run CVA of creating debacles like this for just that purpose. Of course, I think like a criminal mastermind).

I think the big issue isn't for hard core collectors, they see the fanning/miswrap/rolling and wouldn't buy it.

It isn't about one book, or one subset of books, or one type of buyer. It's about how this is yet another blow to buyer confidence in CGC's product, and how that gradually diminishing confidence will affect all the books sitting in holders today.

Plus, let's not lose sight of the real problem. There's pressing and then there's stupidity. Stupidity is what CGC is encouraging, fostering, and displaying in allowing something like that in a blue label. The CGC is the one creating a marketplace where that type of creative manipulation is acceptable. I don't see these type of books jumping off the shelves with that level of eye appeal.

I agree with your comments about CGC, but this book will sell, and the seller will make a handsome profit. Whether it gets standard 9.2 money or not really doesn't matter because the profit is conducive to more of this kind of activity.

An 8.5 offer has already been declined.

It doesn't matter what it sells for. It's a practice that shouldn't be encouraged by the CGC.

It doesn't matter what it sells for. It's a practice that shouldn't be encouraged by the CGC.

(worship)

Then this particular individual doesn't make a profit on this particular book. But the existence of this practice means it will be tried on lots of lower profile books that will fly under the radar, which will almost certainly prove to be profitable.

It isn't about one book, or one subset of books, or one type of buyer. It's about how this is yet another blow to buyer confidence in CGC's product, and how that gradually diminishing confidence will affect all the books sitting in holders today.

This.

But neither should taping with non-archival tape. doh!

Sure, I wholeheartedly agree.

I just don't think that this particular Frankenbook is going to net the seller any sort of significant profit.

No argument there. I hate tape.

Then this particular individual doesn't make a profit on this particular book. But the existence of this practice means it will be tried on lots of lower profile books that will fly under the radar, which will almost certainly prove to be profitable.

After knowing what to look for, I would say yes, this has been going on for a while. If he would have waited for the photos to expire off EBay we would be clueless to it.

I wonder if this Avengers #1 didn't undergo the same "treatment" ?

Linky

yes it's been pressed by collectors comics. Collectors comics serial numbers were 1056xxxx for the longest ;) he's using 112xxx now

I think the big issue isn't for hard core collectors, they see the fanning/miswrap/rolling and wouldn't buy it.

Maybe. But not many buyers reads these boards. And even of those that do, not all will see this thread. And, who knows, maybe as a result of this thread (and the one in Silver) CGC may become more alert about downgrading books that show these type of nicks on the bc.

I was hoping this thread would be about how to remove excessive back hair. :(

Just have it pulled around to your chest. That will make all the difference in the world. (thumbs u

:lol:

I was hoping this thread would be about how to remove excessive back hair. :(

Just have it pulled around to your chest. That will make all the difference in the world. (thumbs u

:lol:

lol

Sure, I wholeheartedly agree.

I just don't think that this particular Frankenbook is going to net the seller any sort of significant profit.

I think it will. GPA for a 9.2 is 60K. Someone with more money than brains could offer merely half that and the seller will have more than doubled his investment.

+1000

I think it will. GPA for a 9.2 is 60K. Someone with more money than brains could offer merely half that and the seller will have more than doubled his investment.

This is, unfortunately, what will happen.