• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Funniest comic strip from Golden Age - Joker's Boner
1 1

24 posts in this topic

Boner was a really common term a long time ago for a mistake, a screw up. Kind of bugs me when people do this or laugh at the word gay being used in old stuff or that stupid "beat off" archie cover that seems to be so popular. I don't even think boner was that commonly used as a slang term for what it is now until not too long ago. I certianly don't remember it as a kid in the 80s, besides wasn't there a guy nicknamed Boner on some popular 80s sitcom, because he was a insufficiently_thoughtful_person that screwed up a lot?

I went through late elementary, jr high and high school in the 60s. Boner always meant that a male was getting a bit excited. I didn't discover that it had an earlier meaning of a mistake until I was in college!

Yeah, boner was definitely not considered a "mistake" when  I went to grade school in the seventies. And when you read these stories, you have to wonder if the writers were in on the joke. I know there was an EC text story about "little Dickie D ildo". I think some of these guys tried to slip lots of double entendres in the books for their own amusement.

Edited by Larryw7