6,657 posts in this topic

41 posts
Posted (edited)

seller: comics_ink

Events:
sold me Worlds Finest 88 (Oct 2019).
sent to Grading Co. for encapsulation.
came back as Trimmed.
notified seller; he stated he doesn't check/doesn't know about Restoration/Trimming. he offered me $60 in store credit (50% of what I paid for the book).
I Declined store credit because he doesn't do/know about Restoration checks/Trimming so it's possible I'd receive another Restored/Trimmed book. 
I did say I'd accept a $60 partial refund (not the ideal solution to me but better than nothing).
End of communication from comics_ink.

What do you guys think here? Am I wrong?

I never intentionally buy Restored/Trimmed books. Had I known this book was either of those things I would not have bought it.

Edited by Angelo.

3,700 posts
1 hour ago, Angelo. said:

seller: comics_ink

Events:
sold me Worlds Finest 88 (Oct 2019).
sent to Grading Co. for encapsulation.
came back as Trimmed.
notified seller; he stated he doesn't check/doesn't know about Restoration/Trimming. he offered me $60 in store credit (50% of what I paid for the book).
I Declined store credit because he doesn't do/know about Restoration checks/Trimming so it's possible I'd receive another Restored/Trimmed book. 
I did say I'd accept a $60 partial refund (not the ideal solution to me but better than nothing).
End of communication from comics_ink.

What do you guys think here? Am I wrong?

I never intentionally buy Restored/Trimmed books. Had I known this book was either of those things I would not have bought it.

Seems like a very reasonable request from you in my opinion.  Especially since you’re not trying to stick him up for any reimbursement on the grading fees, and you stuck to the book sale price only.

41 posts
43 minutes ago, Gaard said:

Send it back. No partial refunds ... all or nothing.

I generally agree with this but in this particular case would you say I'm out the grading and shipping fees then? 

352 posts
2 hours ago, Gaard said:

Send it back. No partial refunds ... all or nothing.

Yeah I definitely wouldn’t send it back after having it graded and finding out it was trimmed. Partial refund or store credit would be the only choices. 

1,366 posts
1 hour ago, Angelo. said:

I generally agree with this but in this particular case would you say I'm out the grading and shipping fees then? 

I'm not an expert on these matters but I'm pretty sure this is how it works...

CGC grading fees: I don't think the seller is under any obligation to reimburse these fees. Sorry. You can ask, but that's about all you can do.

Return shipping: If the seller specifically stated (either in his listing or in a message) that the book was unrestored, then he is obligated to pay the return shipping. If he never specifically stated that the book was unrestored, then you pay.

If it was me and he paid for return shipping, I'd ask him if he wanted me to crack it out. If I had to pay for return shipping, I wouldn't even ask, I'd crack it out. (unless he paid for the grading fees)

315 posts
59 minutes ago, Corona smith said:

Yeah I definitely wouldn’t send it back after having it graded and finding out it was trimmed. Partial refund or store credit would be the only choices. 

I disagree. Send the newly graded book back to seller??? Only if they pay for all the costs associated with getting the book slabbed. I think the best solution in this situation is for the buyer and seller to agree on a partial refund. That being said, trimming can be extremely difficult to detect. I'm terrible at it. Can sellers really always be held responsible for that? I think it's part of the risk we take as buyers. If seller guaranteed no restoration, that's a different situation. 

767 posts

That’s the rib with dealing with few bay at least at local shows and on here you can work out arrangements beforehand ... eBay is kind of a crapshoot 

41 posts
Posted (edited)

I look at it like this.....if I buy a comic on Ebay from someone who sells comics, toys, clothing, knick knacks, bicycle parts etc and the book come back as trimmed or restored, I can virtually guarantee I'd eat that loss and chalk it up to taking a gamble and lost. The guy I bought from only sells comics...hes a comics dealer. If a comics dealer does not disclose restoration/trimming then I believe the book is free from resto/trimming unlike the mom and pop 5 and dime scenario above.

I know resto and certainly trimming can be difficult to detect but does that relieve the comics dealer from any responsibility? I'm generally an optimistic person but how do I know the dealer was unaware the book was trimmed? Why does that even matter when we now know the book is definitely trimmed? I would never have bought a trimmed book let alone pay a 3rd party to officially tell me its trimmed. A comics dealer needs to stand behind their books. It's his business, more than mine I'd say, to know his books are free from resto/trimming as he's the one offering it for sale....and if he doesn't know, its imperative he make it right.

Edited by Angelo.

352 posts
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Motor City Rob said:

I disagree. Send the newly graded book back to seller??? Only if they pay for all the costs associated with getting the book slabbed. I think the best solution in this situation is for the buyer and seller to agree on a partial refund. That being said, trimming can be extremely difficult to detect. I'm terrible at it. Can sellers really always be held responsible for that? I think it's part of the risk we take as buyers. If seller guaranteed no restoration, that's a different situation. 

@Motor City RobSo exactly what are you disagreeing with? I said the same thing as you using different words. 

Edited by Corona smith

1,916 posts
Posted (edited)
On 5/13/2020 at 2:25 PM, Corona smith said:

Yeah I just checked out his buying feedback. This guy should be banned. Opened an unpaid item case as well. I mean what are the chances. I had one item listed and was losing $20 on the same to begin with. Now it’s just some more of my time. 

I have an open case on eBay for non-payment. No reply for two weeks. Today he just bought TWO MORE of my books, which I expect to not be paid for. What is wrong with this creep?

Edited by MatterEaterLad

53,618 posts
2 hours ago, MatterEaterLad said:

I have an open case on eBay for non-payment. No reply for two weeks. Today he just bought TWO MORE of my books, which I expect to not be paid for. What is wrong with this creep?

why hadnt he already been put on your block list-you could have avoided 2 more headaches.

1,916 posts
28 minutes ago, kav said:

why hadnt he already been put on your block list-you could have avoided 2 more headaches.

He is now. Who would have thought someone reported for not paying would keep buying? 

845 posts
3 hours ago, MatterEaterLad said:

non-buyer.. that's happened to me in recent weeks. same nut unpaid twice on the same item.. he's blocked now..

53,618 posts
47 minutes ago, MatterEaterLad said:

He is now. Who would have thought someone reported for not paying would keep buying? 

never underestimate the self absorption of a miscreant.

845 posts
22 hours ago, Angelo. said:

I look at it like this.....if I buy a comic on Ebay from someone who sells comics, toys, clothing, knick knacks, bicycle parts etc and the book come back as trimmed or restored, I can virtually guarantee I'd eat that loss and chalk it up to taking a gamble and lost. The guy I bought from only sells comics...hes a comics dealer. If a comics dealer does not disclose restoration/trimming then I believe the book is free from resto/trimming unlike the mom and pop 5 and dime scenario above.

I know resto and certainly trimming can be difficult to detect but does that relieve the comics dealer from any responsibility? I'm generally an optimistic person but how do I know the dealer was unaware the book was trimmed? Why does that even matter when we now know the book is definitely trimmed? I would never have bought a trimmed book let alone pay a 3rd party to officially tell me its trimmed. A comics dealer needs to stand behind their books. It's his business, more than mine I'd say, to know his books are free from resto/trimming as he's the one offering it for sale....and if he doesn't know, its imperative he make it right.

It doesn't matter if a seller has been on ebay since 2000 w tons of positives or just started an account today w 0 feedback .. I expect all sellers to fully stand by their products

41 posts
Posted (edited)

@littledoomI agree, that's exactly how it should be.

Edited by Angelo.

21,624 posts

add this to your list

silver_surfer_collectibles

Claimed he thought he was bidding on something else.   Four days after non-payment.

53,618 posts
23 minutes ago, Rich_Henn said:

add this to your list

silver_surfer_collectibles

Claimed he thought he was bidding on something else.   Four days after non-payment.

This can happen.  Especially if your son the cat was doing the bidding.

15,721 posts
8 hours ago, MatterEaterLad said:

tell him to pay for all three and you will combine shipping