• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

E.C. Fan Addict THREAD
27 27

6,323 posts in this topic

Hello my ghastly fright fans! I thought id share a few new things!

1st up is Weird fantasy 13! this was i great book! i really loved the "don't count all your eggs" story Orlando can draw monsters!!! and it has a story "home to stay" which was ( i just found this outP) was a story from bradbury in which they started to do the adaption for. thats pretty cool.

and i will say Thanks to @Superworld or @superworldcomics.com for the auction of this book on eBay which i clearly won!

Scan 2019-5-30 23.17.13.jpg

Scan 2019-5-30 23.18.28.jpg

2 hours ago, Raze said:

Hello my ghastly fright fans! I thought id share a few new things!

1st up is Weird fantasy 13! this was i great book! i really loved the "don't count all your eggs" story Orlando can draw monsters!!! and it has a story "home to stay" which was ( i just found this outP) was a story from bradbury in which they started to do the adaption for. thats pretty cool.

I always thought Bradbury's response to EC's first, unauthorized, adaptation; and Gaines's response to the response, was incredibly cool and classy on both side.

5 hours ago, OtherEric said:

I always thought Bradbury's response to EC's first, unauthorized, adaptation; and Gaines's response to the response, was incredibly cool and classy on both side.

I need to read about this more. When i read any of my EC books i have mycomicshop.com open and im looking at the “contents” and this one had in the “notes” saying it was an adaptation.

On 5/29/2019 at 1:18 AM, OtherEric said:

Fresh in today.  I find it interesting that Davis never did any work for the SF titles until the very end.

Incredible_SF_30.jpg

I remember reading Gaines say that while he absolutely loved Davis’ art, he never felt that Davis was right for SciFi. His style was too earthy. But war, humor,  horror? Yes! Jack Davis was incredibly versatile.

5 hours ago, KirbyJack said:

I remember reading Gaines say that while he absolutely loved Davis’ art, he never felt that Davis was right for SciFi. His style was too earthy. But war, humor,  horror? Yes! Jack Davis was incredibly versatile.

I herd the same thing it might have been in one of the OSPGs

You think you're the only one looking for the low grade EC's, @Raze?  Here's the book I just got.

This one has Wally Wood's "My World" in it.  It's not my favorite EC story; that would be "There Will Come Soft Rains".  It's not my vote for the best EC story, because it's barely a story... more an illustrated essay about science fiction.  But I've said for years that if you made me name who I thought was the best comic book artist of all time- not my favorite, but who I thought was the best- I would say Wally Wood on a good day.  The catch being Wood had too many bad days, sadly.  But "My World" might just be Wood's very best day.

It may not be the best story or my personal favorite story.  But "My World" might just have my vote as the most beautifully drawn comic book story of all time.

Weird_Science_22.jpg

7 hours ago, OtherEric said:

You think you're the only one looking for the low grade EC's, @Raze?  Here's the book I just got.

This one has Wally Wood's "My World" in it.  It's not my favorite EC story; that would be "There Will Come Soft Rains".  It's not my vote for the best EC story, because it's barely a story... more an illustrated essay about science fiction.  But I've said for years that if you made me name who I thought was the best comic book artist of all time- not my favorite, but who I thought was the best- I would say Wally Wood on a good day.  The catch being Wood had too many bad days, sadly.  But "My World" might just be Wood's very best day.

It may not be the best story or my personal favorite story.  But "My World" might just have my vote as the most beautifully drawn comic book story of all time.

Weird_Science_22.jpg

Was this the book from @Superworld i bid on that one but went after a different book. Glad you got it! Last year at a show my friend was one booth ahead of me and he found one for next to nothing and he doesn’t really collect EC but it was cheap!

As to the low-grade stuff I think you know I’m just playing around doing tongue-in-cheek.  A lot of people post a lot of nice mid to high grade books in thea thread and all mine are garbage.  I figured we can at least have some fun with it but I think you know that 😃

Congrats on the book  i’m still trying to get one  Wally wood is my favorite artist of the golden age!

Edited by Raze

14 hours ago, Raze said:

I really enjoy these war stories and war stories ARENT my thing!

also i guess CGC would call this Incomplete???? Oh well its an EC thats of my list!!

#highgradeisoverrated

#lowgradeking

Scan 2019-6-5 22.18.45.jpg

Scan 2019-6-5 22.19.48.jpg

Presents so nice "in the bag"!  Make no excuses Raze, what a great book for the price. Everything you really want is there and it looks nice. I agree, the war books get very little love but are some of the best art and stories in the EC line. I love reading them. I'm just down to a couple to finish of the EC war run.

5 hours ago, Raze said:

Was this the book from @Superworld i bid on that one but went after a different book. Glad you got it! Last year at a show my friend was one booth ahead of me and he found one for next to nothing and he doesn’t really collect EC but it was cheap!

As to the low-grade stuff I think you know I’m just playing around doing tongue-in-cheek.  A lot of people post a lot of nice mid to high grade books in thea thread and all mine are garbage.  I figured we can at least have some fun with it but I think you know that 😃

Congrats on the book  i’m still trying to get one  Wally wood is my favorite artist of the golden age!

Yes, it was, Raze.  Sorry I was fighting you on it, not sorry I won. ;)

I know on low grade.  I love high grade books on the rare occasion I get them, but I would much rather have 10 books I can read than one I can't.

19 minutes ago, KirbyJack said:

I didn’t know I was a war comics fan until I read ECs. I consider the war books the best stuff EC has ever done.

And no disrespect to the DC Big 5, but Two-Fisted Tales and Frontline Combat are the best war mags ever!

I don't actually consider the war books the best EC's, but I absolutely won't argue with somebody who does.  They may be the most consistently excellent EC books, the other genres are much more likely to have a story where I go "the art's great but the story is meh". Certainly they're high on my want list; I've only got about half of them so far.

I tend to be a fan of specific war comics, other than the EC's the only one I really collect is Enemy Ace.  But a lot of the DC stuff is certainly excellent when I come across it.  It's just not as good as the EC's.

2 hours ago, OtherEric said:

I don't actually consider the war books the best EC's, but I absolutely won't argue with somebody who does.  They may be the most consistently excellent EC books, the other genres are much more likely to have a story where I go "the art's great but the story is meh". Certainly they're high on my want list; I've only got about half of them so far.

I tend to be a fan of specific war comics, other than the EC's the only one I really collect is Enemy Ace.  But a lot of the DC stuff is certainly excellent when I come across it.  It's just not as good as the EC's.

EC war is always top of the heap to me. DC is a close second. In addition to Enemy Ace, the Unknown Soldier is always a great read. 

14 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Thanks for mentioning this.

I will never forget D Day. My uncle survived the second round. He rarely talked about it. I know it had a profound affect on the rest of his life.

Sadly, it has just become a near forgotton footnote in American history...:sorry:

Isn’t it weird how its place in our culture is diminishing? When we were kids, WWII was a part of everyone’s life. All the adults lived it. It was still called “The War”, and Vietnam was still going. So much of our TV and movies, etc. focused on it. I feel like it’s a part of me, and I was born in 1965.