• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

E.C. Fan Addict THREAD
27 27

6,323 posts in this topic

Mail call from a boardie today. Love this Feldstein robot cover! 

Bottom is trimmed. (Fully disclosed). Many would find this totally unacceptable. I have no problem with it. Nice, tight copy with white pages at about 1/3rd the cost of a similar un trimmed copy. It will fill a big hole until I can pick up a better one. 

Ain’t it cool?

5C0A755C-05D6-47D8-ADA0-633C77348401.jpeg

On 8/4/2019 at 7:27 PM, Raze said:

Heres a new one!! And this is another "nicer" copy.

So you might be wondering "Raze, are you giving up your "self proclaimed" title of  "king of low grade ECs"? Is @OtherEric taking your spot?"

lol

No, this came at the right time and right price! But for the record Ill share the title of "king of low grade ECs" with Eric...what the heck ill share with everyone!!!!!

Reveal hidden contents

I do hope that everyone here understands that I am completely having fun with the low grade king thing! I see so many people on the boards that have amazing books, and I could only wish I could afford some. So this is just me having fun and nothing more.

Scan 2019-8-4 13.37.40.jpg

I really do think EC collectors in general are far more understanding of those of us who collect the books in lower grade.  EC fans just love reading the books in the originals, and we'll all take them however we can get them.  As wonderful as the various reprints are- and make no mistake, they are wonderful- nothing is as fun as seeing the original editions. 

Such good stories and art; there's a very good reason that even well into the 80's they were held up as the best comics ever made.  I think most people now will agree there are comics that are just as good, but there really isn't anything that's topped EC at its best.

5 minutes ago, OtherEric said:

I really do think EC collectors in general are far more understanding of those of us who collect the books in lower grade.  EC fans just love reading the books in the originals, and we'll all take them however we can get them.  As wonderful as the various reprints are- and make no mistake, they are wonderful- nothing is as fun as seeing the original editions. 

Such good stories and art; there's a very good reason that even well into the 80's they were held up as the best comics ever made.  I think most people now will agree there are comics that are just as good, but there really isn't anything that's topped EC at its best.

I even love and cherish my bought off the stands Gladstone double sized issue reprints.My dad loved them so much I let him keep them at his house for years,someone was always reading those.

Edited by porcupine48

39 minutes ago, porcupine48 said:

I even love and cherish my bought off the stands Gladstone double sized issue reprints.My dad loved them so much I let him keep them at his house for years,someone was always reading those.

I remember getting those when they came out, it wasn't my intro to the EC books- I think I even had my first couple originals by then.  But they're the first time I got to see a large sample of the stories.  So very fond memories indeed.

22 minutes ago, OtherEric said:

I remember getting those when they came out, it wasn't my intro to the EC books- I think I even had my first couple originals by then.  But they're the first time I got to see a large sample of the stories.  So very fond memories indeed.

Originals just weren't around here when those came out for me-well,once a year at the annual 'big show',and my paper route money was going to Marvel SA  firsts and origins back then-loved my Marvel Universe handbook listings!!(Thankfully,as my collection would be pretty small right now,paying more modern prices).I just read about yourself and Raze having a fun little beater competition-good grief,if I ever pull out my rags lol I've always been a quantity of reading over condition fella.No back cover?Great!How cheap!??! Coupon cut?Well,is it an ad or story page affected!?!

5 minutes ago, porcupine48 said:

Originals just weren't around here when those came out for me-well,once a year at the annual 'big show',and my paper route money was going to Marvel SA  firsts and origins back then-loved my Marvel Universe handbook listings!!(Thankfully,as my collection would be pretty small right now,paying more modern prices).I just read about yourself and Raze having a fun little beater competition-good grief,if I ever pull out my rags lol I've always been a quantity of reading over condition fella.No back cover?Great!How cheap!??! Coupon cut?Well,is it an ad or story page affected!?!

I've always said I would rather have 10 books I can read rather than one I can't.

Most of my early EC's came from the 'big show'...which in retrospect is smaller than the small show I go to each year now, and not much bigger than the tiny show I was at last year.  But it was an eye-opener for me.  I did get at least a few EC's at local shops, even back in the 90's, though.  My Weird Fantasy #17 and Mad #1, both of which I still have, were from local stores.

20 hours ago, Hap Hazard said:

Looks Good Bob, especially like that 15 (1) you picked up at Wondercon. Here's floor shot of my HOF's.

haunt of fear.JPG

Nice Steve! Are you complete? I think I need 5 VOH and about 6 TFTC to be done with the horror. I have about 2/3rds of the sci-fi and 3 or 4 Suspense to go. I have most of the western and romance issues. Crime Patrol and COT will be pricey. It’s a slow and steady process. My main focus right now. For the most part, all are pretty available. I’m shooting for 4.0-7.0 and will have a few to upgrade when I’m done. Fun process!