• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bent staples

18 posts in this topic

I'm posting this because of a discussion in the bronze forum. Here's an example of a bent staple:

stp.JPG

How much should be deducted for this? Is it really even a defect? It seems to be common on certain books.

Opinions?

I don't deduct unless it's a pull or the area underneath is damaged. It's not much of a defect IMO as long as the book is still solidly together..staples do that way too easily to consider that a flaw

Brian

NM 9.4 and grades below, I wouldn't consider it a flaw, however, if a book was a flawless 9.8 caliber item, I'd downgrade it to 9.6 based on the staple defect. Same on some 9.6s (down to 9.4) as it IS a DISTRACTIVE element to the overall appearance in the rarified grade range where hair-splitting does make .2 differences in overall assessments.

You mentioned before AK about some collectors being excessively anal about some flaws, and I think this is one of them.

Unless you are talking about a super high grade book (9.8,9.9,10.0) then I wouldn't downgrade for this 'defect'.

No, I don't think it should stop a 9.8 grade if the rest of the book is flawless. If they don't deduct for page quality, or ink transfer stains(Minor), I don't think this should be accounted for. It dosen't detract from the book in any way, and only a truly anal individual would be put off by it.

No, I don't think it should stop a 9.8 grade if the rest of the book is flawless.

This is a hard one. The criteria, at least by OS, a NM 9.2-9.7 allows "only the most subtle binding and/or printing defects..."

But I recognize there is a lot between a 9.2 and a 10.0. So - looking at MT 9.9-10.0 - again we see "only the most subtle binding and/or printing defects..."

But the difference is cumulative. In the lesser 9.2-9.7 a 1/16th or less bindery tear, a couple of color flecks are allowed with the subtle printing/bindery issues - and the accumulation of these on top of a really HG book will lower it.

So, if the only defect is that bent staple - which is a pure bindery defect, then I would say in 9.8 it is allowed. But also, by OS definition (and I do consider that a subtle defect) it should be allowed in a 10 if that is absolutely the only defect extant. What to do?

Nah, 10 is perfect. Therefore, no defects should be allowed. But it's almost impossible for a book to not have any defects, so 10.0's theoretically should not exist. blush.gif

Never mind, I don't wanna start this.

Nah, 10 is perfect. Therefore, no defects should be allowed.

Too late - you did start this! grin.gif

Now bear in mind I am using OS because other specific graers do not seem willing to reveal their standards - why? Who knows? smirk.gif

But OS DOES say, in their current issue, that "the most subtle" bindery defects are allowed in a 10. I say a staple with a bend to it is a subtle defect.

But that is just me! grin.gif

This is my whole point. A 10.0 is a friggin' 10.0. There's no room for any subtle defect, by definition, I don't care what O.S or the " Covert Guidelines Corporation" blush.gif says. Perfect is friggin' perfect. So if 10.0 is not perfect, what is? 10.8?

That's why I said "I don't want to start this". It's that damn Poverty's fault. mad.giftongue.gif

But OS DOES say, in their current issue, that "the most subtle" bindery defects are allowed in a 10. I say a staple with a bend to it is a subtle defect.

It IS too late, consider it re-started.

This is important to define, 10.0 books are selling for crazy amounts of cash, and this is because collectors consider them to be PERFECT.

The OS definition, when applied to CGC books just doesn't wash. The CGC 10.0 book should have absolutely NO DETATECTABLE DEFECTS if it does it should be getting the lowly 9.9 or 9.8 grades.

CGC do not grade exclusively by Overstreet standards and here is a prime example of where they SHOULD differ from traditional grading.

I agree.....A 10 should be as close to perfect as possible and a bent staple just wouldnt cut it for that lofty grade. MAYBE a 9.9 and I dont see anything wrong with a slightly bent staple on a 9.8, but a 10.0........NO,NO,NO......Id be pissed if I bought a "10" and it had a bent staple! mad.gif