• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official Doctor Strange Movie Thread

1,320 posts in this topic

This was the worst genre film of the year. BvS was superior to Dr Strange.

I wouldn't necessarily disagree with this. Dr. Strange was too... generic. And I had a hard time recognizing the character I grew up reading in comic books. It was an okay movie; not terrific but not bad. Luckily we are getting GOTG2 which should be different enough from the Marvel movie formula to make it interesting.

I have to ask, have they introduced the sentient cape into the comic yet?

It is too bad Marvel isn't embracing their history (I wanted Mandarin in Iron Man III) but instead are cowtowing to political correctness.

....part of me agrees with you and another part wonders if strict adhesion to the source would lead to a bland and dated result. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Doctor Strange Makes #1 Debut In Japan

Doctor Strange opened in its final territory this weekend, taking the top spot in the Japanese box office.

Director Scott Derrickson’s mind-bending trip through parallel realities with the Sorcerer Supreme raked in $4.5 million on its opening weekend in Japan, according to Exhibitor Relations.

The Benedict Cumberbatch-led film bumps its worldwide total to $644 million, taking in $433 million in the international markets.

Doctor Strange will appear next in Thor: Ragnarok, and is also due to appear in Avengers: Infinity War, which began principal photography this week. Doctor Strange hits digital HD February 14, and DVD/Blu-ray on February 28.

Did you leave the theatre?

I didn't think so.

Dr Strange was great. BvS was mediocre at best.

And yet movie goers have voted the opposite with their hard earned dollars........ :whistle:

Dr. Strange met mixed reviews even with Marvel fanboys I know. I have not seen it yet since I do not care for Cumberbatch as an actor, but as I posted here earlier, the mixed reaction was to be expected due to the magic/fantasy theme.

That being said, hitting over $650M worldwide was a huge win for Disney and will likely lead to more Dr. Strange which is great for the franchise.

I wouldn't necessarily disagree with this. Dr. Strange was too... generic. And I had a hard time recognizing the character I grew up reading in comic books. It was an okay movie; not terrific but not bad. Luckily we are getting GOTG2 which should be different enough from the Marvel movie formula to make it interesting.

It is too bad Marvel isn't embracing their history (I wanted Mandarin in Iron Man III) but instead are cowtowing to political correctness.

We got Mandarin in Iron Man 3, and the more I see it on reruns the more I like the twist with the character. lol

Edited by kimik

We got Mandarin in Iron Man 3, and the more I see it on reruns the more I like the twist with the character. lol

It was a much more interesting version of the character than the stereotype comic book original created for 12 year old's.

I didn't think so.

And yet movie goers have voted the opposite with their hard earned dollars........ :whistle:

Dr. Strange met mixed reviews even with Marvel fanboys I know. I have not seen it yet since I do not care for Cumberbatch as an actor, but as I posted here earlier, the mixed reaction was to be expected due to the magic/fantasy theme.

That being said, hitting over $650M worldwide was a huge win for Disney and will likely lead to more Dr. Strange which is great for the franchise.

obviously, it's always rank speculation when we project what goes on in the dc/marvel boardrooms, but i can't help but believe that dc finds it galling that a movie featuring a third-tier marvel character virtually unknown to the non-funny book masses could earn 75% the global total of their movie featuring the two biggest comic icons in the world, known to just about everyone.

I didn't think so.

obviously, it's always rank speculation when we project what goes on in the dc/marvel boardrooms, but i can't help but believe that dc finds it galling that a movie featuring a third-tier marvel character virtually unknown to the non-funny book masses could earn 75% the global total of their movie featuring the two biggest comic icons in the world, known to just about everyone.

seriously. Everyone and their mothers from the swamps of Florida to the Australian outback to the Serengetti has heard of Superman and Batman. And Warner Brothers is one of the original movie studios. Marvel is like 15 years old (although obviously Disney knows what's up). Call me when DC makes a Teen Titans movie that makes 75% of GOTG.

It was a much more interesting version of the character than the stereotype comic book original created for 12 year old's.

I can not stress how awful Iron Man 3 was to me. Just a horrible movie. I will point to the ridiculous scene of the tech guy in the van with Tony's face tatoo'd on his arm. Please Hollywood, stop with this garbage.

I can not stress how awful Iron Man 3 was to me. Just a horrible movie. I will point to the ridiculous scene of the tech guy in the van with Tony's face tatoo'd on his arm. Please Hollywood, stop with this garbage.

Iron Man 3 was not greatl, though I did actually enjoy the Mandarin twist. Though I didn't really enjoy Iron Man 2 that much either, they both qualify as aight, barely above Thor 2 and Hulk. They are definitely in my lowest tier Marvel movies

I didn't think so.

I wish people would stop this argument.

The prior popularity of a character has much less to do with the success of a movie than the actual quality of the movie does.

I didn't think so.

The prior popularity of a character has much less to do with the success of a movie than the actual quality of the movie does.

sometimes yes, sometimes no. I would argue that BvS making more money than some of the 'better' Marvel movies has more do with how well known Batman and Superman are historically (or as a part of mainstream culture) than its quality as a movie. Which is not to say that they're entirely separate issues, but it has to do with a floor much more than it does a ceiling. If Batman vs Superman had been Darkhawk vs War Machine and everything else about the plot and actors and effects and directing and budget and advertising was exactly the same (Darkhawk=Superman, War Machine=Batman), I'm pretty sure its not pulling $900M. Having more well known characters sets a higher floor and a higher ceiling, because certain people will see ANY Batman movie, or ANY Deniro movie, or ANY Chris Nolan movie.

I thought that was funny. I don't have any problems with IM3 - it was entertaining enough.

I wouldn't necessarily disagree with this. Dr. Strange was too... generic. And I had a hard time recognizing the character I grew up reading in comic books. It was an okay movie; not terrific but not bad. Luckily we are getting GOTG2 which should be different enough from the Marvel movie formula to make it interesting.I have to ask, have they introduced the sentient cape into the comic yet?It is too bad Marvel isn't embracing their history (I wanted Mandarin in Iron Man III) but instead are cowtowing to political correctness.
I thought that was funny. I don't have any problems with IM3 - it was entertaining enough.
The kid forced into the story as if he was an illegitimate Stark child was very distracting. The best thing that came from Iron Man 3 was the apology to the fans.

Marvel.One.Shot.All.Hail.The.King from tacolin on Vimeo.

I didn't think so.

sometimes yes, sometimes no. I would argue that BvS making more money than some of the 'better' Marvel movies has more do with how well known Batman and Superman are historically (or as a part of mainstream culture) than its quality as a movie. Which is not to say that they're entirely separate issues, but it has to do with a floor much more than it does a ceiling. If Batman vs Superman had been Darkhawk vs War Machine and everything else about the plot and actors and effects and directing and budget and advertising was exactly the same (Darkhawk=Superman, War Machine=Batman), I'm pretty sure its not pulling $900M. Having more well known characters sets a higher floor and a higher ceiling, because certain people will see ANY Batman movie, or ANY Deniro movie, or ANY Chris Nolan movie.

I would disagree with this somewhat. While I do agree there are "Batman" fans like there aren't "Darkhawk" fans.

I disagree on the premise.

I feel like if you made a Darkhawk Vs. War Machine movie that was of equal quality to Batman Vs. Superman...AND...you put the same amount of hype and lead up into it and spent the same amount on tie ins and press junkets and filled stores with War Machine and Darkhawk merchandise you could certainly run the take home way up there.

Remember how far back they were hyping this movie? There was an Easter egg in that freaking Will SMith vampire movie a decade ago for chrissakes.

Agreed! I know so many guys that tattoo could have been.......

29 minutes ago, NewEnglandGothic said:

Just finished it.

It was a rock solid movie.

Kind of temporarily rekindles my faith in funnybook movies after some rather dismal ones last year.

I really really enjoyed it. (thumbsu 

What did you think of Benedict Cumberbatch's performance? He is my favorite Marvel actor now.