• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Phoenix Comic Con, May 28-31, 2015

93 posts in this topic

I was immensely satisfied!

I LOVE Friday mornings at the cons - soooo much more my speed compared to, say, a Saturday afternoon. :cool:

I really like how they moved the "Hall of Heroes" upstairs, made it less crowded-feeling.

First comic seller I visited was Ed, but sadly, he didn't have the book I was looking for - already sold. Oh well, I did get a few other books I've been looking for at reasonable prices, did a trade-up, and also got to meet and spend time talking with Steranko.

Steranko is absolutely one of the nicest, most entertaining, charismatic and genuinely pleasant guest/celebrities have ever met at any con.

I got to his booth first thing in the morning, only a couple people were at his booth and so when it was my turn he spent quite a bit of time telling tales and doing a lot of give-and-take discussions about life, movies, art, comics, exercise, health - the day couldn't get any better!

So I got a couple of classic Steranko books for signature-series submission signed, and he thoroughly enjoyed discussing his art with me, what movies and artists have influenced him and explaining where, what color and why he would place each signature on each particular cover. A true artist. And a pretty solid handshake for a guy who's 76 years young!

I won't be seeing these for about 3-4 more months so until then....

Steranko_Signatures_zpsfffashkd.jpg

Jim Steranko and Jae Lee were the highlights of the show for me. I would have liked to chat with Art Adams, but the guy was swamped every time I went by. I agree with jcjames, Friday by far was the best day.

Here's Steranko with my daughter holding a drawing of Captain America that she drew for him. He said he would hang it on his wall - what a classy guy! (worship)

DSCN3765_zpsiiijqdui.jpg

Steranko was definitely one of the highlights of the show; as Stuporman & jcjames said, classy charismatic guy.... Willing to spend a lot of time with each person. We talked a lot about his art & I had him sign my Steranko Artist Edition - a rather large book. When he asked how much space he had, I told him the whole book was at his disposal... The guy signed the largest sig I've ever seen.

A30999ED-918B-457A-A3F9-6A7412381963_zpsmd35w2x9.jpg

Thanks to Mike's Rack for storing the book for me while I walked around the rest of the day; it was way too heavy and awkward to manage otherwise.

Jim Steranko and Jae Lee were the highlights of the show for me. I would have liked to chat with Art Adams, but the guy was swamped every time I went by. I agree with jcjames, Friday by far was the best day.

Here's Steranko with my daughter holding a drawing of Captain America that she drew for him. He said he would hang it on his wall - what a classy guy! (worship)

Wow that is awesome!

Steranko was definitely one of the highlights of the show; as Stuporman & jcjames said, classy charismatic guy.... Willing to spend a lot of time with each person. We talked a lot about his art & I had him sign my Steranko Artist Edition - a rather large book. When he asked how much space he had, I told him the whole book was at his disposal... The guy signed the largest sig I've ever seen.

http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo14/nclangley/A30999ED-918B-457A-A3F9-6A7412381963_zpsmd35w2x9.jpg

Thanks to Mike's Rack for storing the book for me while I walked around the rest of the day; it was way too heavy and awkward to manage otherwise.

That's an awesome signature! :cool:

Did you have him sign your #4 also?

I was thinking about getting that one signed, but I decided to leave it home because I didn't know where I'd want him to sign it.

I was immensely satisfied!

I LOVE Friday mornings at the cons - soooo much more my speed compared to, say, a Saturday afternoon. :cool:

I really like how they moved the "Hall of Heroes" upstairs, made it less crowded-feeling.

First comic seller I visited was Ed, but sadly, he didn't have the book I was looking for - already sold. Oh well, I did get a few other books I've been looking for at reasonable prices, did a trade-up, and also got to meet and spend time talking with Steranko.

Steranko is absolutely one of the nicest, most entertaining, charismatic and genuinely pleasant guest/celebrities have ever met at any con.

I got to his booth first thing in the morning, only a couple people were at his booth and so when it was my turn he spent quite a bit of time telling tales and doing a lot of give-and-take discussions about life, movies, art, comics, exercise, health - the day couldn't get any better!

So I got a couple of classic Steranko books for signature-series submission signed, and he thoroughly enjoyed discussing his art with me, what movies and artists have influenced him and explaining where, what color and why he would place each signature on each particular cover. A true artist. And a pretty solid handshake for a guy who's 76 years young!

I won't be seeing these for about 3-4 more months so until then....

Steranko_Signatures_zpsfffashkd.jpg

Not to mention, the bossest pompadour this side of the 1950's...

I got to bore several people senseless with my droning on about the minutiae of pressing comic books. Looking forward to boring more people again tomorrow!

:cloud9:

I need to hit up a con you are at one of these days.

I got to bore several people senseless with my droning on about the minutiae of pressing comic books. Looking forward to boring more people again tomorrow!

:cloud9:

zzz See you in a few hours.

:foryou:

DSCN3765_zpsiiijqdui.jpg

What's Adams rate for a sketch?