• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hulk 181 wrong value stamp?

24 posts in this topic

I think something like that should be in the title, not halfway down the ad and 3rd on a list of things

I think something like that should be in the title, not halfway down the ad and 3rd on a list of things

I agree.

I believe that's Mark and/or Thomas Wilson. Same people involved with the spine shift incident.

I agree.

I believe that's Mark and/or Thomas Wilson. Same people involved with the spine shift incident.

Serious? I bought a high dollar book off of id "scroogenightmare". The book was shipped in an envelope and damaged so had to be returned. The guy was Mark Wilson out of WA. If it's the Wilson's and you are reputable, why have so many id's? I thought at the time it was the same group as had the "fire mountain" books under a different id, but never went back to check. This is clearly under a different id.

I agree.

Serious? I bought a high dollar book off of id "scroogenightmare". The book was shipped in an envelope and damaged so had to be returned. The guy was Mark Wilson out of WA. If it's the Wilson's and you are reputable, why have so many id's? I thought at the time it was the same group as had the "fire mountain" books under a different id, but never went back to check. This is clearly under a different id.

Guess the error in my assumption was "reputable". :facepalm:

Read the description. It states:

-MISSING MARVEL VALUE STAMP! (See Pic)

Only it's even sleazier.

Beautiful book. NM in hand!

MISSING MARVEL VALUE STAMP! (See Pic)

Read the description. It states:

-MISSING MARVEL VALUE STAMP! (See Pic)

Only it's even sleazier.

Beautiful book. NM in hand!

MISSING MARVEL VALUE STAMP! (See Pic)

Yup, It is.

(thumbs u

Definitely a carnival barker type seller.

How much does it decrease the value of the book if the stamp is removed? I bought my Hulk 180 w/o the stamp but was aware for like 20.00 a fw years ago. Too me a good price cause I just wanted the book! Everything else looked great

Looking at completed sales in GPA it looks like it takes between 20-45% off the value depending on grade.

EDIT: I just looked at Incredible Hulk 180's so I don't know if there is a general rule.

I agree.

Hey, I bought a couple high grade raw books from "Scroogenightmare" about 4 months ago. They look fantastic and I gave them a once over looking for resto and didn't see anything, but I never sent them in for slabbing. Should I be worried? I don't think there is any color touch. What type of shenanigans does Wilson pull besides spine shift? Trimming?

I agree.

Hey, I bought a couple high grade raw books from "Scroogenightmare" about 4 months ago. They look fantastic and I gave them a once over looking for resto and didn't see anything, but I never sent them in for slabbing. Should I be worried? I don't think there is any color touch. What type of shenanigans does Wilson pull besides spine shift? Trimming?

I don't personally think he's trimming but I do think that if there is a defect that needs work that it's been worked on to the best of their ability.

Mark Wilson was probably the best resto guy around a few decades back - most everything that went through his hands got worked on in some way from what I understand from others. Keys, big books, the works. Cleaning, pressing, etc.

I just think that if you buy a book from them it's probably been 'maxed' in whatever way it could be.

I've never been a fan of sellers who show their books in the most flattering manner and leaving defect presentation dubious and that seems to be common with these auctions - books are pictured at odd angles, descriptions are buried. It's all there but it's not very clear unless you take your time to look at the listing to get past the carnival barking and hyperbola. Never been a fan of that type of listing.

I agree.

I don't personally think he's trimming but I do think that if there is a defect that needs work that it's been worked on to the best of their ability.

Mark Wilson was probably the best resto guy around a few decades back - most everything that went through his hands got worked on in some way from what I understand from others. Keys, big books, the works. Cleaning, pressing, etc.

I just think that if you buy a book from them it's probably been 'maxed' in whatever way it could be.

I've never been a fan of sellers who show their books in the most flattering manner and leaving defect presentation dubious and that seems to be common with these auctions - books are pictured at odd angles, descriptions are buried. It's all there but it's not very clear unless you take your time to look at the listing to get past the carnival barking and hyperbola. Never been a fan of that type of listing.

I've seen a few of their books that looked tempting, but the manner of their listings looked suspicious. I suppose they catch more fish than they lose, but I lose confidence in a seller when it looks like they are trying to hide stuff.

I've no problem with leaving info out of listing title, as I can understand driving eyeballs to a page where some might reconsider a grade, resto, etc, that they might have auto-dismissed in a quick scroll, but in those cases the pertinent information should be quickly and obviously identifiable in the listing. More than once I've been about to pull the trigger on a BIN only to catch info there's a coupon cut or some other critical flaw, buried in a wall of text.