• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic Book Investing

1,421 posts in this topic

What did Warren Buffet say:

http://www.businessinsider.com/warren-buffett-quotes-2012-8?op=1

"Rule No. 1: never lose money; rule No. 2: don't forget rule No. 1"

"Investors should remember that excitement and expenses are their enemies. And if they insist on trying to time their participation in equities, they should try to be fearful when others are greedy and greedy only when others are fearful."

"Long ago, Ben Graham taught me that 'Price is what you pay; value is what you get.' Whether we’re talking about socks or stocks (or COMIC BOOKS), I like buying quality merchandise when it is marked down."

I think the one above is the key. I added into the quote, the "or COMIC BOOKS".

You are a classic value investor, just like Warren. The Oracle of Omaha is a brilliant man, but lets also not forget that sometimes "the trend is your friend". You may have heard the analogy that buying certain investments while they are dropping is the equivalent of "catching a falling knife". There is certainly strong momentum in the comic marketplace. I'm not so sure that is a bad thing.

I list my picks in the first post of the thread. It's been a giant urinating match ever since. For the record, my top picks are All Star Comics #3 and Forever People #1, both DC's. GSX #1 and Fantastic Four #48 my top two Marvels.

Forever People 1 makes sense because of the movie tie-in. Unfortunately, I'm not very familiar with the GA and SA prices, so I don't know if All Star Comics 3 and Fantastic Four 48 are good bets or not. GSX 1 is about $4000 now in CGC 9.6, correct? It has the first appearance of Storm, Colossus, and Nightcrawler.

For my money, DC Comics Presents 26 is a comparable book to GSX 1 and not as lofty in price. It came out 5 short years after GSX 1 and I believe current prices are $200 for a CGC 9.6. The book has the first appearance of Raven, Cyborg, and Starfire. Rumor has Cyborg appearing in the upcoming Superman/Batman movie. If a Teen Titans movie is ever released, DC would be silly to go with any line-up that doesn't include the class New Teen Titans line-up.

What about a book like Weird War Tales 93 (1st Creature Commandos)? I picked up a NM copy on eBay last month for $15 after looking for a nice copy for over a year on eBay. The funny thing is, no high grade copies showed up seemingly forever and then two copies popped up in the same week from 2 different sellers. I took the cheaper copy because from the scans, they looked to be the same grade. I think the other copy sold for $20.

There are probably lots of smaller 1st appearances that go for very little. I also bought a Brave and Bold 200 (1st Outsiders - Geoforce, Halo, Katana) for $10 in NM. You also have books like:

Flash 92 - 1st Impulse - $10 - 15 NM

Defenders 94 - 1st Gargoyle - $10 NM

Green Lantern 141 - 1st Omega Men - $20 NM

Green Lantern 201 - 1st Kilowag - $10 - 15 NM

DC Comics Presents 27 - 1st Mongul - $20 NM

It seems like most Marvel character first appearances are already fairly priced, but there are many DC characters that seem to get no love. (shrug) Maybe the next 20 years will see a shift to these overlooked characters?

Short term yes

Long term no

I caution against non-Batman/Superman DC characters for long term compared to Marvel.

But that is where I see DC has more potential than Marvel. Marvel's characters are already in the speculator spotlight because of their success with their movies. DC characters haven't even begun to be tapped. Limiting yourself to just Batman and Superman is short sided IMHO. Those characters are the *only* characters that DC has paraded around in the media for decades. The other characters have more potential (more risk and possibly more reward.)

Legos and Nikes? I was thinking more along the lines of Tupperware and boner pills.

There has been big money in Legos and Nikes these last few years.

Money like comic books and baseball cards of the early 1990s.

The Lego community is pretty advanced now.

Brickpicker

http://thebrickblogger.com/

Air Jordan collecting seems to be hot as well.

Of course these hobbies won`t be this hot forever.

Legos are like tulip bulbs. They'll just grow more.

Legos are like tulip bulbs. They'll just grow more.

Excellent point. This might be the only thread in this boards history that has referenced both the Dutch Tulip bubble and Weimar Hyperinflation. Before you know it we will have these guys reading Adam Smith's Wealth of Nations.

Great thread, scanned through most of it.

I'm one of those that lost money on comics!

I started collecting back in the mid 80s (as a young teen) up to 99. Then quit because of variant covers/mega crossover fatigue. But I got back into collecting this spring, all the Marvel/DC movies and The Walking Dead of the last few years had me missing the medium.

Unfortunately most of the 90s stuff I bought during the boom is basically junk. I'm finding for the most part, the only stuff worth anything are my X-Men, ASM and Batman. But that's mostly because I bought a lot of back issues from the late 70s and early 80s on those. I wish I had the foresight back then to pick up SA/GA stuff rather than spending money on they latest kewl cover. I'd have a nice windfall today, rather than not much to show for the money spent. But back then it was all the New is cool. Thankfully I didn't go all in on the hype, because I always saw comics as a hobby first, investing second. I only have two copies of Spawn #1, honest!

Now if I had been born in the 60s rather than the 70's, I would be sitting on a nice collection. I think that makes comics more luck than skill, anecdotal sure, but I bet money I'm one of thousands from that era. To me it is not a great way to make money long term. And yes I know some people can, it's just not something most people can do consistently. There are probably better places to park your investment dollars.

What I do find crazy with today's market is the prices that high grade modern comics are going for, stuff that has no history what so ever. Some people may be in for a rude shock in a few years. I think there will be handful that remain significantly valuable, even the Walking Dead may drop a bit once the show and zombie fad are over. But I don't think comics will ever go truly out of fashion or collectable, its art and it will morph the tastes of the day.

For me going forward for comics, I'll be looking more to the SA/GA side of collecting. If I happen to make a little money on it great, but I'm not going to bet my retirement on it. I'll leave that to my other investments, which I've actually made money on.

Excellent point. This might be the only thread in this boards history that has referenced both the Dutch Tulip bubble and Weimar Hyperinflation. Before you know it we will have these guys reading Adam Smith's Wealth of Nations.

Both have been mentioned many times, noob. :baiting:

You might want to check out this thread while you're at it. :whistle:

Interesting points of view.

Comics as an investment is the riskiest endeavor ever. Buy the book for collecting reasons , whatever they may be, to say it's an investment is crazy talk.

I just purchased a couple of grails because I always wanted them and my patience after the last six years was wearing thin. I made sure I bought copies that where remarkable and special to me. I instantly looked at them as comics and not cash in the bank. If I viewed them as cash I could be very disappointed when someone finds a box of fifty hulk #1's in an attic somewhere and the current price is cut in half , talk about blind volatility.

If this situation did happen and I viewed by book as an investment what would my option's be? Keep buying the new found books to protect my investment ( dollar cost averaging) or sell quick and minimize my loss or hold and wait for the price to come back up... I just cannot bring myself to view comic books in this way.

I do think there is good money to be made and feel happy for the dealers right now because they have a strong market but it has not always been strong and they live off of selling comics.

I do feel like Disney owning marvel is a long term game changer for Marvel characters and believe these characters will be relevant for decades to come... I mean Micky mouse is still relevant because of Disney. MHO..

Comics as an investment is the riskiest endeavor ever. Buy the book for collecting reasons , whatever they may be, to say it's an investment is crazy talk.

I just purchased a couple of grails because I always wanted them and my patience after the last six years was wearing thin. I made sure I bought copies that where remarkable and special to me. I instantly looked at them as comics and not cash in the bank. If I viewed them as cash I could be very disappointed when someone finds a box of fifty hulk #1's in an attic somewhere and the current price is cut in half , talk about blind volatility.

If this situation did happen and I viewed by book as an investment what would my option's be? Keep buying the new found books to protect my investment ( dollar cost averaging) or sell quick and minimize my loss or hold and wait for the price to come back up... I just cannot bring myself to view comic books in this way.

I do think there is good money to be made and feel happy for the dealers right now because they have a strong market but it has not always been strong and they live off of selling comics.

I do feel like Disney owning marvel is a long term game changer for Marvel characters and believe these characters will be relevant for decades to come... I mean Micky mouse is still relevant because of Disney. MHO..

Good point on the Marvel stuff, with Disney behind them they are going to stay relevant for the near future. I believe they have movie plans until 2028. The only characters DC has that will stay mainstream relevant is Batman and Superman, until WB gets the movies sorted out. Green Lantern had a shot, but they blew it.

Hence the word "might" Mr. Inferiority Complex. My over under on you is 5' 4 1/2" message board tough guy

Not to mention a goldbug. That's real original. You come up with that on your own? How's that been working out for ya?

:roflmao:

You might want to (a) talk to a few people in the hobby and (b) read all 675 pages of that other thread before you jump to any more erroneous conclusions about me, noob. lol

I have about as much interest in reading 500 of your posts as I do in reading another one of your critiques. Apparently you are the worlds greatest investor and anyone else that wants to start a thread about investing is a clown. I would strongly suggest going to Wikipedia and looking up the term "p*nis envy". It might help you come to grips with your problems.

As far as hearing more about how great you are, I have a better idea. Why not show me instead? I'd like to issue you a challenge. I might be new here but very shortly I will be the teacher and you will be my pupil.

Last night I won a book on the comiclink auction. Detective Comics #93 in universal 7.0. I'd like to wager it against any book you own where the 90 day avg is at least $350. I paid $400 last night so I'm setting the line slightly in your favor.

Here's our game. You pick a stock. I pick a stock. The largest % gainer on 1/1/15 wins the others book. We will use the closing price at 4 PM today so Ill give you the weekend to do your homework pupil. Don't pay up and the deadbeat gets outed over and over again.

Let me know if you are game. Just tell me what book you are wagering and I will even be the first to pick a stock, right here, on this very thread. All I ask is that you choose a stock from a different sector. If you are game, I will await your reply. Otherwise, next time you feel like typing something on this thread, do me a favor. Don't.

Good point on the Marvel stuff, with Disney behind them they are going to stay relevant for the near future. I believe they have movie plans until 2028. The only characters DC has that will stay mainstream relevant is Batman and Superman, until WB gets the movies sorted out. Green Lantern had a shot, but they blew it.

The problem as I see it with the Marvel films is that their production costs are very high. It wouldn't take much of a decline in revenue for Disney to pull the plug or, at least, drastically scale back. It might be possible to exploit these characters in a lower budget format, but I'm skeptical.

Disney marketing is great but it can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear (hello, Lone Ranger). They had a pretty fallow period with traditional (non-Pixar) animation prior to Frozen. If the public begins to lose interest in these movies, no amount of marketing will save them.

Will superhero movies start declining in popularity tomorrow? Probably not. But in 5 years or 10 years? It's likely that they will, I would think. Once again, it wouldn't take a collapse in popularity to undermine the current model, just a fall back to, say, grosses of $150 million or less.

It's not as if the genre is obviously one for the ages. To take another much cited example, Westerns at one time were at least as central to U.S. popular culture as superheroes are today. They eventually faded away almost entirely.

The problem as I see it with the Marvel films is that their production costs are very high. It wouldn't take much of a decline in revenue for Disney to pull the plug or, at least, drastically scale back. It might be possible to exploit these characters in a lower budget format, but I'm skeptical.

Disney marketing is great but it can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear (hello, Long Ranger). They had a pretty fallow period with traditional (non-Pixar) animation prior to Frozen. If the public begins to lose interest in these movies, no amount of marketing will save them.

Will superhero movies start declining in popularity tomorrow? Probably not. But in 5 years or 10 years? It's likely that they will, I would think. Once again, it wouldn't take a collapse in popularity to undermine the current model, just a fall back to, say, grosses of $150 million or less.

It's not as if the genre is obviously one for the ages. To take another much cited example, Westerns at one time were at least as central to U.S. popular culture as superheroes are today. They eventually faded away almost entirely.

Agreed on the movie front. BUT... Disney is way more than Movies... They ingrain their characters in kids and will do so with Marvels best, be it with movies or other methods.

I have about as much interest in reading 500 of your posts as I do in reading another one of your critiques. Apparently you are the worlds greatest investor and anyone else that wants to start a thread about investing is a clown. I would strongly suggest going to Wikipedia and looking up the term "p*nis envy". It might help you come to grips with your problems.

As far as hearing more about how great you are, I have a better idea. Why not show me instead? I'd like to issue you a challenge. I might be new here but very shortly I will be the teacher and you will be my pupil.

Last night I won a book on the comiclink auction. Detective Comics #93 in universal 7.0. I'd like to wager it against any book you own where the 90 day avg is at least $350. I paid $400 last night so I'm setting the line slightly in your favor.

Here's our game. You pick a stock. I pick a stock. The largest % gainer on 1/1/15 wins the others book. We will use the closing price at 4 PM today so Ill give you the weekend to do your homework pupil. Don't pay up and the deadbeat gets outed over and over again.

Let me know if you are game. Just tell me what book you are wagering and I will even be the first to pick a stock, right here, on this very thread. All I ask is that you choose a stock from a different sector. If you are game, I will await your reply. Otherwise, next time you feel like typing something on this thread, do me a favor. Don't.

Why not just roll a pair of dice, instead? It would take a lot less time.

upsidedown_popcorn_smiley.gif

I might be new here but very shortly I will be the teacher and you will be my pupil.

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

I know this guy by his writing style. Wasn't he here a few weeks ago with that avatar from the Comic Book Men? Walt Flanagan?