• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A bit off topic: Any non comic art experts here?

12 posts in this topic

Several years ago I purchased a metal/ wire sculpture from a garage sale- from a person I knew that was in the process of losing their home. They mentioned it was an Alexander Calder and quite honestly I had no idea who he was. I bought it to help out and I put it away and forgot about it until a few months ago. I now realize it may be actually worth something. The person I bought this from had rather expensive paintings, various art, and antiques from famous artists etc that they bought in the 1980's when they were doing very very well from various auction houses. I have been in contact with Heritage, but its been months with little contact. They stated they would need to authenticate it before being able to auction it (rightly so) as there is no documentation. The Calder foundation no longer authenticates his works. Which brings me to my question.

I am thinking of paying artexpertswebsite to authenticate it. Does anyone know if they have a good reputation or not. Or is there another that would be better at authenticating this. This is way out of my field of expertise. I figure someone here may have more knowledge of the art world outside of comics

Antiques Roadshow? My wife and I did it and had a blast. Turn it into a vacation trip as well.

Tickets are hard to get, but not impossible. You can "like" their FB page and each season they publish the list of cities and how to apply.

Yeah, it's not really practical, but it is fun.

If Calder foundation won't authenticate it, it will always have "attributed to" connected with it. Not saying yours is fake but Calder works are easy to fake. Find out where they bought it from, or pick up a complete works catalog of Calder and see if the piece is in it.

If Calder foundation won't authenticate it, it will always have "attributed to" connected with it. Not saying yours is fake but Calder works are easy to fake. Find out where they bought it from, or pick up a complete works catalog of Calder and see if the piece is in it.

Unfortunately, I lost touch with the person over a year ago. I don't have a lot into the piece. It was more of I will help out type of buy. So if it turns out to be a fake it will not hurt me in any financial or investment type of way. The person simply mentioned she got it as auction and that it was a Calder and a special piece. They had a Rembrandt, some Picasso sketches along with other artists.

I was hoping to get it authenticated to sell at auction. I figured I could buy more comic book art if it turns out the worth something. lol

It could very well be authentic. I've had an experience of trying to sell a piece gotten directly through an artist to fund some home improvements, but the dealer wouldn't sell it for me unless I had a provenance or letter from the artist.....the artist was a friend and I didn't want to approach them and make it known that I was selling so I just kept the work. Good luck! And I hope it's the real deal.

Unfortunately, I lost touch with the person over a year ago. I don't have a lot into the piece. It was more of I will help out type of buy. So if it turns out to be a fake it will not hurt me in any financial or investment type of way. The person simply mentioned she got it as auction and that it was a Calder and a special piece. They had a Rembrandt, some Picasso sketches along with other artists.

I was hoping to get it authenticated to sell at auction. I figured I could buy more comic book art if it turns out the worth something. lol

If she bought it at an auction, there may be some public record of the sale. I would call the big fine art auction houses and see if they ever sold it.

Another thing you could try is email the postwar sales dept at Sotheby's or Christies along with an image and tell them you are interested in selling it, I'm sure they will be helpful.

I would also try Phillips and Bonhams.

I'm just curious as to how collectors savvy enough to buy a Calder at auction and own Rembrandt and Picasso originals ends up selling something like this at a garage sale for presumably chump change.

Another thing you could try is email the postwar sales dept at Sotheby's or Christies along with an image and tell them you are interested in selling it, I'm sure they will be helpful.

I'm just curious as to how collectors savvy enough to buy a Calder at auction and own Rembrandt and Picasso originals ends up selling something like this at a garage sale for presumably chump change.

Disability and the economy hit them hard. If I had more money I would have bought more. I picked up a 1900's Grandfather clock some Eastlake furniture, Art and Crafts lamps, silver from the 1800's and various other antiques. I forget the artist but there was a complete set of Lucite artist signed furniture from the 1970s that was cool I had no place for and huge stain glass panels from churches etc. I have never seen anything like before and since. I was able to get in before the actual opening of the sale and it went on for a few weekends as stuff continued to pour out of the place.

The same thing crossed my mind.....Picasso prints and Rembrandt etchings are quite plentiful, paintings on the other hand.....hmmmm.

There was only one Rembrandt painting it was small and not for sale neither were the Picasso "sketches". There were various other old paintings most not for sale. I was told the stuff was real and I was able to go through the home. Could they have been blowing smoke since I don't know about the stuff, absolutely, but at the same time I don't see why they would. The interior was like a museum in the sense it was all antiques and collectibles throughout (I consider stuff under 100 years a collectible and not true antiques)