• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Done with CGC signature series books

23 posts in this topic

because

When I crack open a 9.4, create a signature window, get it signed and submit it, I'm OK with it coming back as anything between 9.0 and 9.6 - heck even 8.5 if the artist was hard on it.

But when you pay 9.4 money and have your books signed and it comes back 6.5 - that is a complete lack of consistency in grading standards.

Lee K

See more journals by Lee K

because

When I crack open a 9.4, create a signature window, get it signed and submit it, I'm OK with it coming back as anything between 9.0 and 9.6 - heck even 8.5 if the artist was hard on it.

But when you pay 9.4 money and have your books signed and it comes back 6.5 - that is a complete lack of consistency in grading standards.

Lee K

Lee, first off, I am very sorry for the grade drop. That is a disheartening feeling that I well know.However, until we have some more detail, there is no way that this can be pinned on CGC consistency. The book could have been damaged getting removed from the slab, by the creator or someone else, or could have been damaged in transit, or even damaged in the encapsulation process.Without more information, it is just not reasonable to say that it is inconsistent grading.

Wow!

Something certainly isn't right with that. Almost sounds like a popped staple.

I'm not sure who you would call but I would. This is a good example of why you shouldn't have to pay for graders notes on your own submission.

because

Lee K

Lee, first off, I am very sorry for the grade drop. That is a disheartening feeling that I well know.However, until we have some more detail, there is no way that this can be pinned on CGC consistency. The book could have been damaged getting removed from the slab, by the creator or someone else, or could have been damaged in transit, or even damaged in the encapsulation process.Without more information, it is just not reasonable to say that it is inconsistent grading.
Exactly. My first thought was "someone dropped that book."

because

Lee K

Exactly. My first thought was "someone dropped that book."
Yeah 9.4 to 6.5 indicates completely popped staple, possibly a stain or tide line or other catastrophic, and possibly new, damage.

Wow... I am so sorry to hear that!

How does a 9.4 drop to a 6.5?

Someone f*cked up big time!

I would give them a piece of my mind... find out and see if you can get some kind of compensation.

Just my two cents.

SW3D

because

Lee K

This. Need more info. To pin it all on CGC without knowing more is unfair

Wow... I am so sorry to hear that!

How does a 9.4 drop to a 6.5?

Someone f*cked up big time!

I would give them a piece of my mind... find out and see if you can get some kind of compensation.

Just my two cents.

SW3D

9zacf.jpg

Wow!!! I would have flipped out! Way out to the point where I would have Hulked out! For a book to drop that far in grade is just disgusting and for someone on the CGC end to not take responsibility it atrocious and just plain low! So why the hell are they charging a $5 handling fee if they aren't properly handling the books!?! As far as inconsistency goes I'm sure they are consistant with the grading just not handling the books properly and that worries me for future submissions on books I know are high grades but drop because of their lack of proper handling. I would first dispute the charges on my credit card if I were you.

Very sorry Lee, that totally bites to say the least. Do you have any idea why they graded it so low or are you s waitin for it to come back from CGC? I feel for you my friend.

Guest Grails
Wow!!! I would have flipped out! Way out to the point where I would have Hulked out! For a book to drop that far in grade is just disgusting and for someone on the CGC end to not take responsibility it atrocious and just plain low! So why the hell are they charging a $5 handling fee if they aren't properly handling the books!?! As far as inconsistency goes I'm sure they are consistant with the grading just not handling the books properly and that worries me for future submissions on books I know are high grades but drop because of their lack of proper handling. I would first dispute the charges on my credit card if I were you.

Shouldn't we give CGC the benefit of the doubt until we have the details? How do we know the signer didn't manhandle the book (which has happened to me). In that case, there is no fault with CGC as they just have to regrade the book in front of them regardless of the previous grade.

Shouldn't we give CGC the benefit of the doubt until we have the details? How do we know the signer didn't manhandle the book (which has happened to me). In that case, there is no fault with CGC as they just have to regrade the book in front of them regardless of the previous grade.

Amazing isn't it that the automatic conclusion for some is that it is unequivocally CGC's fault, despite the possibility that the damage could have occurred anywhere along the line and have nothing to do with CGC?

There is simply not enough information to pin this with 100% certainty on CGC.

You are, of course, correct - I cannot pin the blame on CGC.

But - I have cracked several slabs previously and have a fair hand at this. I did feel that the book was overgraded when I cracked it - more likely a 9.0 than a 9.4.

I examined the book. Created a proper signature window. Personally carried it to the talent that signed it, had it and another book signed (raw 9.4ish copy of that is on its back 9.8), examined the book again, carried it back to the CGC booth and saw it packaged as part of a 2-book invoice (so it wasn't handled repeatedly) for shipping to CGC.

I do not believe that the book was damaged by my handling or while in my possession. The signature wasn't smeared. There was no excessive handling. I'm guessing that a staple popped in transit - the very good people working the booth were kind and skilled, but they were also very busy and slightly understaffed.

I just not cracking previously graded books (unless I originally submitted them) for signature series. Being aware of the actual condition of books I submitted raw, I would crack those for a later signature. Or I will use raw books.

Lee K

What does that mean to say a "staple popped in transit?" I would think a staple on a 9.0 to 9.4 should be fairly solid. Would a loose staple really drop a comic down to 6.5? It seems like the paper quality should be far more important than a staple. Or is this term not to be taken literally and I'm sounding silly.

What does that mean to say a "staple popped in transit?" I would think a staple on a 9.0 to 9.4 should be fairly solid. Would a loose staple really drop a comic down to 6.5? It seems like the paper quality should be far more important than a staple. Or is this term not to be taken literally and I'm sounding silly.

Popped or blown staples can occur on any quality of book. This is a really solid 9.0 with a very cleanly popped cover staple. If it were really blown with some of the underlying pages fanning through the staple pop, I could see a 6.5.

http://www.myslabbedcomics.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=7719&GSub=632

The window bagging is cool for facilitators and it offers a consistency to ensure that no damage is done when the book is signed, however, it does give pause when many hot books are going through CGC and a lot of them are signature series books and they have the signature of the artist (big instance) Stan Lee in the center.

This gives many opportunities for books to be confused with other books (mistakes do happen) and a book that is supposed to be 9.4 is confused with another that is a 6.5 and it is the same book signed in the same place. If someone is going through the same process, I suggest that multiple signatures of different artists rather than one major artist just so you can differ your book from another book that has been submitted. Having said this, Universal labels can also be confused with other hot books coming through...for instance Incredible Hulk 271...