• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Strain TV Show Discussion Thread

689 posts in this topic

This show really suffers from awful kid syndrome. It also suffers from "why do you always make the worst possible choice"-itis as well. There's enough plot holes to drive a dumptruck thru it too. But I hate-watch the heck of it. I try to turn off every part of my rational brain & just watch stabby-stabby, shooty-shooty, face-wormy stupidity & not throw my Bad Call Brick at the tv every time something entirely nonsensical happens or is done by a character (or the entire population of a major American city)

So its the little things that are so unrealistic that aggravate you more so than the premise its a show about Vampires? Last time I checked Zomibies are not real either. :baiting:(shrug)

I've gotten non horror fans hooked on this show so it can't be all that bad. :headbang:

It's not about an unrealistic premise. It's about unrealistic behavior & logic. People should still behave like people in the show. It's a mix of outbreak/epidemic story & vampire story. Yet nobody is behaving like it's an outbreak.

This show really suffers from awful kid syndrome. It also suffers from "why do you always make the worst possible choice"-itis as well. There's enough plot holes to drive a dumptruck thru it too. But I hate-watch the heck of it. I try to turn off every part of my rational brain & just watch stabby-stabby, shooty-shooty, face-wormy stupidity & not throw my Bad Call Brick at the tv every time something entirely nonsensical happens or is done by a character (or the entire population of a major American city)

So its the little things that are so unrealistic that aggravate you more so than the premise its a show about Vampires? Last time I checked Zomibies are not real either. :baiting:(shrug)

I've gotten non horror fans hooked on this show so it can't be all that bad. :headbang:

It's not about an unrealistic premise. It's about unrealistic behavior & logic. People should still behave like people in the show. It's a mix of outbreak/epidemic story & vampire story. Yet nobody is behaving like it's an outbreak.

Let's recap shall we? The internet is toast in the story, the government is denying anything (really so hard to believe here?), all the information available is we are working on the problems come to this location where they are giving out food and / or locking up people in containers. The only information is what neighbors are saying and anyone encountering the vampires probably don't live to tell many tales. If a family member is infected he/she goes and infects the rest of the family before anyone is the wiser. Witnesses see people shoot giant worm / claw like launchers out of heir necks.....Seems far fetched to me too. Its a horror TV show about Vamps and my goodness its a roller coaster fun hour every week in the summer.

Like the WD makes any more logical sense. lol

Let's recap shall we? The internet is toast in the story, the government is denying anything (really so hard to believe here?), all the information available is we are working on the problems come to this location where they are giving out food and / or locking up people in containers. The only information is what neighbors are saying and anyone encountering the vampires probably don't live to tell many tales. If a family member is infected he/she goes and infects the rest of the family before anyone is the wiser. Witnesses see people shoot giant worm / claw like launchers out of heir necks.....Seems far fetched to me too. Its a horror TV show about Vamps and my goodness its a roller coaster fun hour every week in the summer.

Like the WD makes any more logical sense. lol

A handful of illogical behaviors from just this week:

The goth rocker dude got arrested for literally pulling a suitcase full of dirt in the dark.

The kid that got attacked by his mom after she turned in season 1 leaves on a bus at nigh to try to find her & is sure she's fine or can be made fine, knowing full well that these things come out at night. I won't even get into his temper tantrum.

There's not an ounce of military presence even with an obvious illness of some sort going out & turning manhattan into a leper colony. And it's not like the military have to rely on the civilian internet or phones. Yet there's nothing. Not even an reservists that live in the area that might decide "we can't contact the Pentagon & this is a straight up state of emergency whether it's been called or not. We're mobilizing with or without approval"? I sincerely doubt it.

The people on that subway platform: "Oh, I hear those things are only out when/where it's dark & not sunny, let's hang out on the non-sun-lit subway platform like 25 feet away from black caves (that's inexplicably still in operation when it's like 50 yards from that vampire nest thing because that was the point of hacker chick & russian guy bombing it) and make out while these 2 sketchy looking people talk loudly 8 feet away from us about how to best knock down the right pillars to collapse the subway station".

The new assistant girl's monologue about having developed a radar for bad guys & yet still being unsure as to if the creepy goth rock star & the weirdly threatening german guy are "bad guys" after hearing them talk in her presence in an obviously menacing tone about vaguely ominous dire plans & someone called the Master. Any normal person would have either got the $*%* out of there or been like "hold up, this is an investment firm. What in the hell business are we doing with someone that is literally named the Master?"

Gus (my 2nd favorite character behind the BA staten island politician chick who I want to watch personally punch the Master in the face with a stake) doesn't have any side-effects from, with no protection on, grabbing the wormy face worm of some vampire. In season 1, even some vampire saliva getting on you would infect you with their worms, much less getting all the blood/goop all over his bare hands ripping it out. The show isn't even following its own rules anymore.

And seriously, the security guard doesn't even check for clearance to let in some guy that just says "I'm here to work not he elevator". The elevator that they then use.

I can probably come up with another half dozen nonsensical moments if I think bout it, but these are just off the top of my head.

And I have similar complaints about WD & their inexplicable decision making, but at least it generally sticks with its established rules on how/when people turn or get infected. And this kid on this show is like 50-times as awful as Carl.

But as I said... I'll hate-watch this show forever because it's utter nonsense & as long as I turn my rational brain completely off & don't expect even the slightest ounce of logical behavior at any junction by any character, I have a blast both loving & loathing it at the same time.

I did. It at least seemed marginally better. But it's been a few years since I read it. Might have to grab it from my roomie & re-read it. I thought it was a series of books? (I only read the 1st tho)

I read the first book not long after it came out, and remember enjoying it. I never got around to reading the others cause I'm a cheapo and never caught them on sale.

I wanted to like the tv series, I really did. I made myself watch the whole first season, even tho i was ready to give up at the halfway point. I watched the first episode and half of the second this season and just can't anymore. It's terrible. The actors, tho good in other things, just feel flat here. And like mentioned previously, there's way too much illogical behavior.

Others said previously (and my wife also brings it up to me often about other shows/movies/books): "so you're ok with (insert fantastical/supernatural: in this case vampires) element but not the rest?"

Yes, yes I am.

For me, I enjoy these types of stories when it seems as if they can really happen in our world, minus the fantastical/supernatural element of course. I want everything but that element to feel real. I want the characters to act like real people and not just plot devices or cliches.

At this stage in the show, there are far too many people acting normal considering that a vampire apocalypse is going on around them. Sure, the internet's down, and sure the government has been trying to downplay it, but come on.

I read the first book not long after it came out, and remember enjoying it. I never got around to reading the others cause I'm a cheapo and never caught them on sale.

I wanted to like the tv series, I really did. I made myself watch the whole first season, even tho i was ready to give up at the halfway point. I watched the first episode and half of the second this season and just can't anymore. It's terrible. The actors, tho good in other things, just feel flat here. And like mentioned previously, there's way too much illogical behavior.

Others said previously (and my wife also brings it up to me often about other shows/movies/books): "so you're ok with (insert fantastical/supernatural: in this case vampires) element but not the rest?"

Yes, yes I am.

For me, I enjoy these types of stories when it seems as if they can really happen in our world, minus the fantastical/supernatural element of course. I want everything but that element to feel real. I want the characters to act like real people and not just plot devices or cliches.

At this stage in the show, there are far too many people acting normal considering that a vampire apocalypse is going on around them. Sure, the internet's down, and sure the government has been trying to downplay it, but come on.

People like and dislike different things. Such is life. I for one am so burnt out on the MCU movies revolving around bad guys in evil robots or evil robot creatures that are easily defeated ant the public ignores the fact it happened. 2c

The Strain is entertaining and is not supposed to be 100 percent real and doesn't take itself that serious. One of the many things I love about it.

Yes, yes I am.

Sorry to inform you but believe it or not... vampires ARE REAL!

Watched last night's episode, some thoughts

Barnes confirmed dead? Still kind of a surprise considering the role he had in the books. Fitzwilliam didn't last very long, either. I don't recall his role in the book very well, so not sure if this is an early exit for him. The whole "infecting the infected" thing is also something that was not in the book, as far as I can recall (maybe I need to go back and re-read). Not sure if last night's killings put an end to it. Might be that Eph is going to be blamed for the two killings and hunted even more now. Was hoping Kelly and the Feelers were going to get Zach, but that didn't happen. Zach was at least a little less annoying last night as he didn't keep screaming for his mom when the others were shooting at her. Maybe he's starting to wise up (but I doubt it). The transfer of the Master from Josef Sardu to Gabriel Bolivar came a lot quicker than in the books, as well. Eichhorst looked like a scorned lover when the Master chose Bolivar as his new host over him. Overall, a very good episode, just very interesting how much they are straying from the books. I was wondering if someone didn't think the whole "Night Eternal" stuff was too depressing for a TV show and maybe we're not going to get that.

Watched last night's episode, some thoughts

Barnes confirmed dead? Still kind of a surprise considering the role he had in the books. Fitzwilliam didn't last very long, either. I don't recall his role in the book very well, so not sure if this is an early exit for him. The whole "infecting the infected" thing is also something that was not in the book, as far as I can recall (maybe I need to go back and re-read). Not sure if last night's killings put an end to it. Might be that Eph is going to be blamed for the two killings and hunted even more now. Was hoping Kelly and the Feelers were going to get Zach, but that didn't happen. Zach was at least a little less annoying last night as he didn't keep screaming for his mom when the others were shooting at her. Maybe he's starting to wise up (but I doubt it). The transfer of the Master from Josef Sardu to Gabriel Bolivar came a lot quicker than in the books, as well. Eichhorst looked like a scorned lover when the Master chose Bolivar as his new host over him. Overall, a very good episode, just very interesting how much they are straying from the books. I was wondering if someone didn't think the whole "Night Eternal" stuff was too depressing for a TV show and maybe we're not going to get that.

I don't think so because they made it official now that Eph had died falling off the train. I'm glad in a way its building without telling too much and not strictly following the books