• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Universal monsters of old come together again - WATCH OUT!
1 1

280 posts in this topic

Universal's Cinematic Monster Universe Will Focus On "Action-Adventure" Instead Of Horror

---------------------

LANGLEY: We have to mine our resources. We don't have any capes [in our film library]. But what we do have is an incredible legacy and history with the monster characters. We've tried over the years to make monster movies — unsuccessfully, actually. So, we took a good, hard look at it, and we settled upon an idea, which is to take it out of the horror genre, put it more in the action-adventure genre and make it present day, bringing these incredibly rich and complex characters into present day and reimagine them and reintroduce them to a contemporary audience.

---------------------

Action-Adventure? Universal's 3 Euro-Gothic characters are IDEAL for the soapy paranormal stuff that's all the rage in YA. That's a universe staring them right in the face.

Hell, toss the Mummy in that mix too. They could go the 'ancient astronaut' Egyptology route like was injected into the Hawkman mythos. Undying interplanetary love junk, lasting through eons. Expand it out he size of the Stargate universe or something.

If Universal wasn't so dazzled by Marvel's success they could insert themselves in the YA Potter/Hunger Games phenomenon imho. Universal's characters are both Paranormal and desperate. Work with what you have.

Universal's Classic Monster-Verse Adds MONSTERS: DARK CONTINENT Screenwriter

--------------------

Last month, Universal hired Prisoners screenwriter Aaron Guzikowski to work on their reboot of The Wolf Man, which will be apart of their classic monster cinematic universe and today Deadline reports that Universal has also hired Monsters: Dark Continent co-screenwriter, Jay Basu, to work on their monster-verse. Though, no details were provided about which monster(s) Basu will be working on.

Universal is one of the few major studios that doesn't have any superheroes, so they are hoping they can build their own cinematic universe with their classic monsters. Alex Kurtzman ("Star Trek Into Darkness") and Chris Morgan ("Fast & Furious") are overseeing the interconnected stories, which will focus on "action-adventure" instead of horror. This summer's Dracula Untold kicked things off, and the next film in the universe will be the reboot of The Mummy, which will be in theaters June 24, 2016.

--------------------

Universal is definitely putting some effort into this universe build-out.

Universal's Classic Monster-Verse Adds MONSTERS: DARK CONTINENT Screenwriter

--------------------

Last month, Universal hired Prisoners screenwriter Aaron Guzikowski to work on their reboot of The Wolf Man, which will be apart of their classic monster cinematic universe and today Deadline reports that Universal has also hired Monsters: Dark Continent co-screenwriter, Jay Basu, to work on their monster-verse. Though, no details were provided about which monster(s) Basu will be working on.

Universal is one of the few major studios that doesn't have any superheroes, so they are hoping they can build their own cinematic universe with their classic monsters. Alex Kurtzman ("Star Trek Into Darkness") and Chris Morgan ("Fast & Furious") are overseeing the interconnected stories, which will focus on "action-adventure" instead of horror. This summer's Dracula Untold kicked things off, and the next film in the universe will be the reboot of The Mummy, which will be in theaters June 24, 2016.

--------------------

Universal is definitely putting some effort into this universe build-out.

I just hope this time they bring back the classic Frankenstein monster look!

00-image.jpg

Johansson Being Eyed For Lead In 'The Creature From The Black Lagoon'

Now comes word on who might lead one of these ambitious new films, and it's someone who has plenty of experience with shared universes: Scarlett Johansson.

According to Tracking-Board, Universal wants to get Johansson to star in The Creature From The Black Lagoon, presumably filling the iconic role of Kay Lawrence- which was played by Julia Adams in the 1954 original. The role was an important one for the horror genre, and the film itself was very influential for many of the "creature features" to follow.

It seems Warner Brothers are not the only ones having cold feet.

Now the Universal Monsters Universe will be delayed.

I wonder if Dracula Untold`s mediocre box office for domestic of $56,280,355 has something to do with it?

Universal Monsters Universe delayed.

Warner and cold feet?

•March 25, 2016: Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice

•August 5, 2016 – Suicide Squad

•June 23, 2017 – Wonder Woman

•November 17, 2017 – Justice League, Part One

•March 23, 2018 – The Flash

•July 27, 2018 – Aquaman

•April 5th, 2019 – Shazam

•June 14th, 2019 – Justice League, Part Two

•April 3rd, 2020 – Cyborg

•June 19th, 2020 – Green Lantern

I wonder if Dracula Untold`s mediocre box office for domestic of $56,280,355 has something to do with it?

Warner and cold feet?

•July 27, 2018 – Aquaman

Up to Suicide Squad

then will see if there will be any delays.

:)

Warner and cold feet?

•July 27, 2018 – Aquaman

Up to Suicide Squad

they still got time to get everything ready for these

•July 27, 2018 – Aquaman

we don't know the type of story telling their going to do with the films. we know that the story for JL Pt1 & 2 are already being work by chris terro. so maybe they want to let their other movies tell a story at the same time move a bigger story arc forward.

i would love for them to make the green lantern movie about the crops and not just one lantren.

Warner and cold feet?

•July 27, 2018 – Aquaman

Up to Suicide Squad

•July 27, 2018 – Aquaman

we don't know the type of story telling their going to do with the films. we know that the story for JL Pt1 & 2 are already being work by chris terro. so maybe they want to let their other movies tell a story at the same time move a bigger story arc forward.

i would love for them to make the green lantern movie about the crops and not just one lantren.

They`re are having real problems with the Wonder Woman and Aquaman scripts.

Problems with Wonder Woman and Aquaman scripts.

Hopefully, they can turn it around. :wishluck:

You know it is hard to make these movies. They don`t want to just throw something out there to bomb like Dracula Untold at 56 million.

They are going to use caution. We all have been spoiled by Marvel because they make it look so easy.

DC and the Universal Monsters rather get it right than rush to make junk.

Warner and cold feet?

•July 27, 2018 – Aquaman

Up to Suicide Squad

•July 27, 2018 – Aquaman

They`re are having real problems with the Wonder Woman and Aquaman scripts.

Problems with Wonder Woman and Aquaman scripts.

Hopefully, they can turn it around. :wishluck:

You know it is hard to make these movies. They don`t want to just throw something out there to bomb like Dracula Untold at 56 million.

They are going to use caution. We all have been spoiled by Marvel because they make it look so easy.

DC and the Universal Monsters rather get it right than rush to make junk.

it's the something out of the park studios want to get the best person/ writer for their movies even marvel does it.

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 Screenwriter To Pen Creature From The Black Lagoon

Lost and Fringe writer/executive producer Jeff Pinkner, who also co-wrote The Amazing Spider-Man 2, has been hired by Universal to pen their remake of the Creature from fhe Black Lagoon, according to The Tracking Board.

Reportedly, the lead role is still being offered up to Avengers: Age Of Ultron and Lucy star Scarlett Johansson.

Universal Monsters Franchise Will Contain Horror Elements

Collider recently checked in with screenwriter Alex Kurtzman—who is also directing the 2017 Mummy flick—on the series’ progress.

“The monster universe is coming together very very quickly, we’re very excited. There will be announcements soon. We have actually started doing a lot of design work, we’re getting scripts in, everything is feeling really really good, so I don’t want to curse it by saying too much to you, but it’s going well.”

Of course, the big elephant in the room was the general lack of horror in these movies, and Kurtzman went on to assure fans that the horror element would be there.

“Yeah, I think [fans being upset is] a fair response and it’s actually not [going to be devoid of horror] — I think there was some lost in translation quality to the way it was received, because I promise you there will be horror in these movies. It is our life goal to make a horror movie. The tricky part is actually how you combine horror with either adventure or suspense or action and be true to all the genres together. In some way, Mummy, dating all the way back to the Karloff movie, was the first to do that. It was the first to combine horror with — I wouldn’t say action, but certainly a lot of suspense. So it’s more about how you blend the different elements and stay true to each one, but there will definitely be horror in the monster movies…We will hopefully serve it up good and plenty.”

Alex Kurtzman Says The Mummy Reboot Is Not Connected To Dracula Untold

Since The Mummy will exist in a shared universe, Kurtzman says "we very well might" see another monster appear in it. However, when asked if 2014's Dracula Untold, starring Luke Evans in the title role, would be connected to The Mummy -- as it has been rumored to be -- he responded, "The Mummy isn’t connected to Dracula [untold] but I think that is an ongoing conversation."

What will separate his Mummy film from others is that it will take place in modern times, however, moviegoers can still expect a monster wrapped in multiple layers of linen cloth. "Look, I don’t think you can make a mummy movie without having a character wrapped in bandages," he admitted. "I feel like that’d be doing a big disservice to the mummy. It wouldn’t be a mummy otherwise." He believes the modern setting should open up a whole new world of possibilities. "Absolutely, 100%. The minute it’s modern day, the rules change," he stated. "And yet, what’s really exciting for me is how do you take this ancient creature and make an audience believe that they exist in modern day?"

Alex Kurtzman Says The Mummy Reboot Is Not Connected To Dracula Untold

Since The Mummy will exist in a shared universe, Kurtzman says "we very well might" see another monster appear in it. However, when asked if 2014's Dracula Untold, starring Luke Evans in the title role, would be connected to The Mummy -- as it has been rumored to be -- he responded, "The Mummy isn’t connected to Dracula [untold] but I think that is an ongoing conversation."

What will separate his Mummy film from others is that it will take place in modern times, however, moviegoers can still expect a monster wrapped in multiple layers of linen cloth. "Look, I don’t think you can make a mummy movie without having a character wrapped in bandages," he admitted. "I feel like that’d be doing a big disservice to the mummy. It wouldn’t be a mummy otherwise." He believes the modern setting should open up a whole new world of possibilities. "Absolutely, 100%. The minute it’s modern day, the rules change," he stated. "And yet, what’s really exciting for me is how do you take this ancient creature and make an audience believe that they exist in modern day?"

Good.

I liked Dracula Untold,but it`s definitely not the Dracula I remember.

More like Conan the Vampire.

Good.

To me, it felt more like an Anne Rice story. Especially in the end with the 'And so it begins' scene.

Good.

To me, it felt more like an Anne Rice story. Especially in the end with the 'And so it begins' scene.

Anybody watch Bram Stoker's Dracula recently. WOWsers, that still a great looking movie with no CG effects.