• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Universal monsters of old come together again - WATCH OUT!
1 1

280 posts in this topic

Doctor Strange Screenwriter Believes The Mummy Reboot Will Terrify Audiences

themummy-reboot-209678.png

Screenwriter Jon Spaihts, who co-wrote Marvel's latest blockbuster, will be even more in-demand after Doctor Strange exceeded expectations. Aside from that project, Spaihts also penned The Mummy, the Alex Kurtzman-directed reboot and first film in Universal's Monstersverse.

While the 1932 original, starring Boris Karloff, relied an eerie mood and atmosphere and the 1999 reboot, starring Brendan Fraser, brought fun and adventure to the franchise, the 2017 reboot, according to will Spaihts, "legitimately explore the frightening and the cosmic."

"In The Mummy, I think we're going to see the first Mummy film in the entire Universal canon with the true power to terrify," Spaihts told The Hollywood Reporter. "The earliest [boris] Karloff and Bela Lugosi Mummy movies were scary in a small way, perhaps a dated way. They were almost parlor movies. Subsequent movies have been more swashbuckling. This one is going to have all of that action and adventure, but a legitimate power to terrify. I think that's going to be the new experience of that film."

Lugosi was never in a Mummy movie. The character was played by Karloff, Tom Tyler(of Captain Marvel fame), and Lon Chaney Jr. He shouldn't diss the old movies if he hasn't even seen them.

Doctor Strange Screenwriter Believes The Mummy Reboot Will Terrify Audiences

themummy-reboot-209678.png

Screenwriter Jon Spaihts, who co-wrote Marvel's latest blockbuster, will be even more in-demand after Doctor Strange exceeded expectations. Aside from that project, Spaihts also penned The Mummy, the Alex Kurtzman-directed reboot and first film in Universal's Monstersverse.

While the 1932 original, starring Boris Karloff, relied an eerie mood and atmosphere and the 1999 reboot, starring Brendan Fraser, brought fun and adventure to the franchise, the 2017 reboot, according to will Spaihts, "legitimately explore the frightening and the cosmic."

"In The Mummy, I think we're going to see the first Mummy film in the entire Universal canon with the true power to terrify," Spaihts told The Hollywood Reporter. "The earliest [boris] Karloff and Bela Lugosi Mummy movies were scary in a small way, perhaps a dated way. They were almost parlor movies. Subsequent movies have been more swashbuckling. This one is going to have all of that action and adventure, but a legitimate power to terrify. I think that's going to be the new experience of that film."

Lugosi was never in a Mummy movie. The character was played by Karloff, Tom Tyler(of Captain Marvel fame), and Lon Chaney Jr. He shouldn't diss the old movies if he hasn't even seen them.

Good catch about Lugosi in Mummy movies. It makes me think he didn`t do his homework.

He is also using the term parlor movies? What is a parlor movie?

I googled and still couldn`t find anything.

Parlor movie means a film that is very talkie with little action.That criticism can be applied somewhat to parts of the original movie, but it has such a timeless story with incredible visuals, so who cares? It obviously inspired Francis Coppola when he made Bram Stoker's Dracula. The other Mummy movies from the forties are all action from beginning to end.

Parlor movie means a film that is very talkie with little action.That criticism can be applied somewhat to the parts of the original movie, but it has such a timeless story with incredible visuals, so who cares? It obviously inspired Francis Coppola when he made Bram Stoker's Dracula. The other Mummy movies from the forties are all action from beginning to end.

Thanks.

Yes, I agree. Those first Universal movies were the best. I loved Mummy 1932. That`s a classic. I am starting to have a feeling though this new Mummy movie will be more like the Van Helsing movie than Mummy 1932. :(

The full trailer has arrived!

I like it. I am all in ! (thumbs u

It is definitely different from the 1932 Karloff classic, but has a feel to the Brandon Fraser 1999 classic.

Disclaimer: I am a big Universal Monsters fan and want this to do good box office,so we can get more Universal Monsters.

And he's lucky to have lined this up so quickly after Dr. Strange, after the critical and financial drubbing Passengers took.

Dude's got talent, but Passengers could have been a career killer.

‘Aquaman’ Scribe Will Beall Diving Into Universal’s ‘Creature From The Black Lagoon’

EXCLUSIVE: Universal Pictures has set Will Beall to write The Creature From The Black Lagoon, from an idea Beall had to revive the classic 1954 film as part of the studio’s classic monsters franchise. Beall just scripted another underwater event movie, Aquaman, which James Wan is directing with Jason Momoa in the title role for Warner Bros and DC. 

http://deadline.com/2017/03/creature-from-the-black-lagoon-will-beall-aquaman-universal-pictures-1202057300/

will-beall-creature-from-the-black-lagoon.jpg?w=446&h=299&crop=1

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

9 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Feels a lot like the latest X-Men. I hope this is better.

I always felt the original was one of the lesser Universal Monster Movies. Though I still Love Karloff. Well, hopefully no one is laughing to death in this one.

12 hours ago, Rip said:

Feels a lot like the latest X-Men. I hope this is better.

I always felt the original was one of the lesser Universal Monster Movies. Though I still Love Karloff. Well, hopefully no one is laughing to death in this one.

It should be better at least this got Tom Cruise.

BTW, I want to go on record, and say X-men:Age of Apocalypse was one of the worst superhero movies I ever saw. It was barely a step above Fantastic Four reboot. It was putrid. I am a guy who tries  to find a silver lining in every movie I watch and couldn`'t find one. Lone Ranger was better than  X-men:Age of Apocalypse.

On 4/1/2017 at 5:37 AM, ComicConnoisseur said:

‘Aquaman’ Scribe Will Beall Diving Into Universal’s ‘Creature From The Black Lagoon’

EXCLUSIVE: Universal Pictures has set Will Beall to write The Creature From The Black Lagoon, from an idea Beall had to revive the classic 1954 film as part of the studio’s classic monsters franchise. Beall just scripted another underwater event movie, Aquaman, which James Wan is directing with Jason Momoa in the title role for Warner Bros and DC. 

http://deadline.com/2017/03/creature-from-the-black-lagoon-will-beall-aquaman-universal-pictures-1202057300/

will-beall-creature-from-the-black-lagoon.jpg?w=446&h=299&crop=1

I always thought a remake of TCFTBL would be great if they gave the creature some back story. Like if engeneered by ancient aliens to mine for underwater gold or something. I hope they get creative with this one! :wishluck: