• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM Mad Comic #1 with ink stains / 'color touch'?

15 posts in this topic

Found this Mad #1... I think I've seen it before, actually, but can't remember where. It looks like somebody's pen broke while sitting on the top of the comic. Or maybe somebody was using an ink bottle and sneezed.

Nonetheless, how do you think this would grade? Would the ink on the cover be graded as "color touch"? I am only partly kidding when I ask that question.

The comic is complete, nothing cut out, and the center wrap is attached at both staples.

More photos in next message.

148713.jpg.a15ef4ec7a7931fc820f0687ddeb060a.jpg

I don't see anyone thinking that was a deliberate attempt at color touch, definitely a spilled ink situation. Given all the staining and chipping, I'd say 1.5 tops and maybe only a 1.0.

I'm not sure there is any value in slabbing it though.

Thanks for the responses, everybody. I was kinda hoping to hear more in the range of 1.8 or 2.0. The reason I was hoping this is that the comic is complete and structurally sound. It's kinda sad how badly the ink downgrades the grade even though it's mostly on the white space of the bottom interior pages. (There's also the issue of the cover corner chipping and/or bug chews, which is unfortunate too -- almost like this copy was part of some comedy of errors in terms of condition damage.)

I don't really care that much because I am a Mad freak. Mad #1 to me is practically like Action Comics #1, except of course it's a world away in terms of value. Nonetheless I really appreciate you all taking the time to look at this and give it a grade.

I was thinking 1.0 as well. The cover is compromised by the ink, but it's even more distracting on the interior pages. It would actually be interesting to find out what CGC would say; I really have no idea.