• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Second Action 1 9.0 to hit the census

723 posts in this topic

So the CGC records say it was graded in Feb, assuming that is when it happened all that has been "manipulated" is holding back on inclusion of the book on the CGC Census. The records are (assumedly) accurate.

Just to be clear, this morning the CGC verification feature on the The Collector's Society site says that the book was graded in February. Yesterday, it said 7/18/14. Not saying there's anything nefarious going on, but it did change.

So the CGC records say it was graded in Feb, assuming that is when it happened all that has been "manipulated" is holding back on inclusion of the book on the CGC Census. The records are (assumedly) accurate.

Just to be clear, this morning the CGC verification feature on the The Collector's Society site says that the book was graded in February. Yesterday, it said 7/18/14. Not saying there's anything nefarious going on, but it did change.

I wonder if it was a label replacement for the QR code. Do the pics in over street have the QR?

I wonder if it was a label replacement for the QR code. Do the pics in over street have the QR?

Yes.

I emailed with the owner. I've known him for a few years (as do a few others around here).

Says he's going to follow through with the auction route, as committed.

These are the first pics I'm seeing of the book. What a gorgeous copy.

I agree I do think CGC needs to speak to the census update topic.

People do make purchasing decisions based on a books census count and the related market results.

I'd be upset if I was buying the "single highest graded" of something when it wasnt.

(and yes I know this can happen anyway because people hold back high grade raw comics all the time and they never hit the census...)

I have a slightly different view of the census data. It is a FREE service provided by CGC (why they don't charge for access still amazes me). Given it is free, folks can complain all they want, but it is free. Everyone should know that the census data is not 100% accurate and uses it with than in mind. If folks aren't aware it isn't 100% accurate, please take note now.

I take this as more than a mild deception and a bit more seriously than most folks probably will.

You're right that the census is inaccurate, probably more on the order of 75 to 80% in respect to mid/high grade, but that can be factored in when assessing general rarity and probable resubmissions with grade bumps.

It may be a FREE service, but I'd argue that census data has become almost as critical to market criteria as the encapsulation service itself and should be treated more seriously by CGC and hopefully any competing service.

What worries me about the length of this delay in posting crucial data is that it may be perceived by some as market manipulation. That is, CGC providing favoritism to maximize the owner's profits on a supposedly unbiased third party graded book. The problem with holding information back is that it can used to leverage the sale of some books and disadvantage the sales of others during the interim creating uncertainty (distrust) in the census process beyond the inaccuracy issues.

The bottom line is that with data this important and time sensitive it should be treated exactly the same from book to book, resubmission discrepancies notwithstanding. My 2c

PS: I'm not saying any blame should be placed on the book's owner for this as it is entirely fair game to maximize one's profits using whatever legal strategies are afforded, but if there is any ethical question over the withholding of census data, that would fall squarely on the service provider, IMO.

It may be a FREE service, but I'd argue that census data has become almost as critical to market criteria as the encapsulation service itself and should be treated more seriously by CGC and hopefully any competing service.

Census data does seem to have a large impact on market prices based on scarcity and rank. If a competing service ever does take a decent share of the grading market, isn't census data even more at risk (accuracy of count, grade relative to others, and even possible slight criteria differences in grading scale)? I can just see a run of re-subs between grading companies that are going to significantly inflate the census counts and completely water down any potential relevance of any census data. I'm just pondering the potential impact of another relevant player in the grading market (if it ever comes to be)...

I agree I do think CGC needs to speak to the census update topic.

People do make purchasing decisions based on a books census count and the related market results.

I'd be upset if I was buying the "single highest graded" of something when it wasnt.

(and yes I know this can happen anyway because people hold back high grade raw comics all the time and they never hit the census...)

I have a slightly different view of the census data. It is a FREE service provided by CGC (why they don't charge for access still amazes me). Given it is free, folks can complain all they want, but it is free. Everyone should know that the census data is not 100% accurate and uses it with than in mind. If folks aren't aware it isn't 100% accurate, please take note now.

I take this as more than a mild deception and a bit more seriously than most folks probably will.

You're right that the census is inaccurate, probably more on the order of 75 to 80% in respect to mid/high grade, but that can be factored in when assessing general rarity and probable resubmissions with grade bumps.

What worries me about the length of this delay in posting crucial data is that it may be perceived by some as market manipulation. That is, CGC providing favoritism to maximize the owner's profits on a supposedly unbiased third party graded book. The problem with holding information back is that it can used to leverage the sale of some books and disadvantage the sales of others during the interim creating uncertainty (distrust) in the census process beyond the inaccuracy issues.

The bottom line is that with data this important and time sensitive it should be treated exactly the same from book to book, resubmission discrepancies notwithstanding. My 2c

PS: I'm not saying any blame should be placed on the book's owner for this as it is entirely fair game to maximize one's profits using whatever legal strategies are afforded, but if there is any ethical question over the withholding of census data, that would fall squarely on the service provider, IMO.

At first I didn't care that it might be preferential. But these are valid points that the census can act as a measure of scarcity to many buyers. It's certainly trumpeted that way by the auction houses. It's unlikely, but what if another Action #1 8.5 had come to market between when this was graded and when it hit the census? Might the buyer expect that it would be 1 of the 2 highest graded copies? (apologies for the actual #s being wrong, as I'm not looking it up).

I emailed with the owner. I've known him for a few years (as do a few others around here).

Says he's going to follow through with the auction route, as committed.

These are the first pics I'm seeing of the book. What a gorgeous copy.

Surprised no one has mentioned the book before if that was the case? Has he kept this book under wraps for years?

They got caught so they changed it?

This poster on reddit purports to have some insight on the history of the book, no idea how he would know or even if it's true. But it's interesting reading:

http://en.reddit.com/r/comicbooks/comments/2bgmiv/a_90_cgc_rated_copy_of_action_comics_1_is_going/cj5gvaw

[–]Apiy 1 point an hour ago

Yep, the original owner purchased it off the newsstand and left it in the cedar chest for a couple decades. After he passed away, a minor collector discovered the issue during the estate sale, who sold it shortly after to a larger dealer who kept it in a bank vault for 30 years. Darren purchased it from that dealer but I'm not sure of when, possibly around ten years ago.

It has only been held privately by those four individuals since 1938.

Has anyone ever discussed forming a syndicate to purchase a book of this caliber? With the potential final hammer prices being conjectured and this appearing as one of the bluest of the blue chip collectibles in the comics world I would sure be interested in participating in something like that if the terms were correct.

Has anyone ever discussed forming a syndicate to purchase a book of this caliber? With the potential final hammer prices being conjectured and this appearing as one of the bluest of the blue chip collectibles in the comics world I would sure be interested in participating in something like that if the terms were correct.

That happened before on a Marvel Comics #1. It did not end up well