• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Louisville Fandom Fest

10 posts in this topic

This years Louisville Fandom Fest is now in the books. The multi-media event left much to be desired, again! This time for a completely different reason. Last year's logistic problems (the crowd) was heavily covered by the local news. Simply put, the 2013 Fandom Fest crew was not prepared. Attendees waited in lines for hours to enter and for one-on-one with celebrities. Some never meet their celebrities and received no refund.

This year was a completely different story. Long lines were a non-issue, because no one was there. On opening day, I walked into a ticket room of vast emptiness. Just imagine a desert and tumbleweed rolling by. With no other major events going on the only logical explanation for the poor turnout was last year's poor execution. Fan voted with their feet.

To say celebrity autographs and meet&greets were over priced would be an understatement. For the die hard comic collectors, there were only a couple vintage dealers, literally two. The other part timers had decent inventory and were very engaging. Unfortunately, Most (if not all) lost money on the deal.

On the positive side, there was plenty room to maneuver and search the dollar boxes. Children under 10 were free so it made for a good family outing. Parking was abundant at $5/day directly across the street. Onsite food was reasonably priced and tasty.

At a $60 weekend price tag, I will not attend next year. This sentiment was echoed by most attendees and vendors alike.

I got to meet Falcon! (and had to wait 5 hours and 20 minutes to get the picture)

And found 3, count 'em, THREE whole books worth buying. I lied. It was 2.

More could be said, but then I would end up ranting.

Is this for real? (shrug)

Never heard of the show so I googled it. Seems like a typical 'circuit' autograph show.

Hard to believe no one showed up with Firefly, Star Trek NG (full cast), Battlestar Galactica, that kid from Walking Dead and so on, $30/$40 a pop for sigs.

They have shows like this all over the country, right? Celeb hunters get milked routinely, I thought.

I thought it was very altruistic for this person to come here, create a username and start a thread to eviscerate this Louisville con.

"On opening day, I walked into a ticket room of vast emptiness. Just imagine a desert and tumbleweed rolling by."

For a 2nd follow-up post he should eviscerate the Louisville Courier-Journal for collusion.

"An estimated 8,000 to 10,000 fans of anime, sci-fi, fantasy, horror and comic books flocked to the Kentucky International Convention Center on Saturday for the 10th annual Fandom Fest convention. People from all over the country came to..."

I thought it was very altruistic for this person to come here, create a username and start a thread to eviscerate this Louisville con.

"On opening day, I walked into a ticket room of vast emptiness. Just imagine a desert and tumbleweed rolling by."

For a 2nd follow-up post he should eviscerate the Louisville Courier-Journal for collusion.

"An estimated 8,000 to 10,000 fans of anime, sci-fi, fantasy, horror and comic books flocked to the Kentucky International Convention Center on Saturday for the 10th annual Fandom Fest convention. People from all over the country came to..."

Shill from a rival Louisville con trying to run down the competition? Derby City, Wizard World Louisville? The writing style did not suggest the typical first post around here...

Shill from a rival Louisville con trying to run down the competition? Derby City, Wizard World Louisville? The writing style did not suggest the typical first post around here...

I highly doubt Wizard cares that much about this show. Not really Peter's style.