• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OA Steal of 2014 (Breitweiser Drax)

14 posts in this topic

Some lucky schmo got a whole heapin' helpin' of OA goodness for WAAAAY less than it sold for....IMHO.

Right here.

Discuss.

I have a few things by Mitch and this was definitely a great deal although i'm sure the smaller size of some of the prelims turned some people off. He is a great talent and I hope he gets some more marvel work.

At $461.98, and the fact that it's on eBay and the Guardians of the Galaxy movie indexed hot, I think the marketplace took care of artwork which, if the movie failed would have commanded less than $300 (in my opinion) because they're preliminary work not finals, and at best I'd say they're worth $600 if sold individually (again, in my opinion), so at the price it sold for it's a fair deal, not what I'd qualify as a "steal of a deal" nor something to sock away that's of investment grade material with the longevity to increase by leaps and bounds in value to go towards paying a child's college tuition. It's a nice pick up for a fan of the artist or character but if you're neither, then it remains simply fair (again, in my opinion).

While I would have been interested, I wouldn't have outbid the buyer on the lot.

This is probably a big turnoff: "[A]ll of the sketches are on standard computer paper and therefor are not acid free and completely archival. There are tears and holes and stains all over them."

I think it's cool, and I love Breitwiser's art.

But it's all prelims, thumbnails and layouts.

I think it went for a fair price considering what it is.

Plus Drax is about as popular as he's ever been right at this moment.

+1 to that and to ashrael's post.

Even in the listing, it was stated he did it on krappy laser printer bond paper. It's going to be wrinkled, wavy and beat up, i.e., not very presentable. You could probably press out a lot of it if you had access to that - but still, cheap paper doesn't hold ink or paint, so it likely looks pretty hammered in-hand.

I don't see it being as anything more than a fair price. Cool package if you're into prelims and sketches.

I dunno. I think its a fair "auction" price but I also think its the kind of thing where if you find the right person, they might be willing to pay considerably more than the 400 bucks.

The computer paper, stains, etc don't matter to the right person. You guys are looking it at as detracting from the art, but to the right person this is as least as much of a movie collectible as it is artwork.

I dunno. I think its a fair "auction" price but I also think its the kind of thing where if you find the right person, they might be willing to pay considerably more than the 400 bucks.

The computer paper, stains, etc don't matter to the right person. You guys are looking it at as detracting from the art, but to the right person this is as least as much of a movie collectible as it is artwork.

I don't see how they are a movie collectible. It's not like they are sketches done for movie preproduction concepts but are for the Annhilation storyline from a few years back.

I don't see how they are a movie collectible. It's not like they are sketches done for movie preproduction concepts but are for the Annhilation storyline from a few years back.

+1

If they were published, that would also help greatly. But not knocking it - there's a whole bunch of people who like prelim art and enjoy owning the process of creation.

Bronty's right - some people look past the detraction. I've done that on a painting and I'm okay with it. For a "gotta have" piece, it wouldn't bother me if it was on toilet paper. But for something I might not be into, it could also be a turn off.