• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'Shazam' movie official thread (because he deserves one too)
3 3

1,885 posts in this topic

Gives it a 'B' as a really good time. But where he thought the villain had a solid backstory on his key motivation, for some reason it bothered Stuckmann they didn't tell the whole story. I had no issues with how the film approached this.

On 3/23/2019 at 6:52 PM, Bosco685 said:

the way they handled this is no trailers before the film. You go right into seeing the main film

We had a 30+ minute line at the concessions stand, but figured it would be fine since the 4:00 movies typically don't actually start til near 4:20.. missed the beginning as a result, but I'll see it again anyway.  Thought it was really good!

8 hours ago, Action252Kid said:

We had a 30+ minute line at the concessions stand, but figured it would be fine since the 4:00 movies typically don't actually start til near 4:20.. missed the beginning as a result, but I'll see it again anyway.  Thought it was really good!

Weird.  We had trailers on our advanced showing. 

10 hours ago, Action252Kid said:

There was the pre-movie theater commercials for local events and then the Fandango game app period. But come 4 PM the lights went down and that movie kicked right in. I was totally surprised.

I loved Freddy Freeman in the old cartoon. This is a great Freddy Freeman movie.

Sandberg: It is. Jack Dylan Grazer, in particular, he just shines in this movie, and he was the first person cast. New Line had just done It, and they were like we have a lot of great kids in that. Maybe someone could work for Shazam! or one of the characters in there. And then saw him and just thought, he’s our Freddy. So we cast him right away, and then we could use him when auditioning other people to sort of read against.

Safran: In the same way Zac is a kid in an adult’s body, Jack Dylan Grazer is very much an adult in a kid’s body. He’s so smart, he’s so sharp, he’s so astute. His improv skills are sensational. He’s just a really, really talented actor. Anybody that’s a fan of Freddy Freeman from the comics is going to feel like we did a great job delivering on him in the movie.

Last time I remember tearing up in a movie theatre was during Angela Landsbury singing "Tale as old as time" watching "Beauty and the Beast" in '91.  Jack Grazer made me tear up over one emotional scene in Shazam! and is a precise gem in his portrayal of Freddy Freeman.  :cloud9:

captain-marvel-marvel-vs.jpg.45fd0f6d250d6d3efd2e59dca87609e3.jpg   

A very low budget.

Film Budget Reportedly Only $80-$90M

THR reports the budget for Shazam! is somewhere between $80-$90 million, making it easily the smallest budget for a DCEU film. The outlet shared this information in light of a recent report that stated the costume budget alone for Shazam! was $10M. Costume designer Leah Butler told Total Film that they created ten Shazam costumes that each cost around $1M to make. However, THR says that the entire suit budget was actually just $600,000-$700,000. Prior to this report, Sandberg responded to the suit cost online, but simply revealed he did not know the actual budget and wouldn't be surprised if the $10M price tag was correct.

THR Heat Vision Newsletter: Shazam suit and budget details

“Each suit costs, oh boy, upwards of a million? We have ten suits." — That quote published in Total Film from Shazam! costume designer Leah Butler has been sparking headlines about the DC superhero movie spending $10 million JUST to make Zachary Levi look heroic.

That would be an insane allocation for a movie that has a budget in the $80 million to $90 million range.

But sources tell Heat Vision that $1 million per suit figure is wildly inflated, particularly as the New Line and Warner Bros. film is being billed as a more modestly budgeted kind of superhero pic. In fact, a source says the Shazam suit is more in the $60,000 to $70,000 range. That's about $600,000 for 10 suits, which is still noteworthy.

41 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

They came up big because they were not so dark.

Other than in Aquaman his mother was hunted for running off, Arthur Curry threatened by his brother who wants him dead and even attempted to murder him early on, and then Orm wanting to fight him to the death...you could be right. Everything should be bright, happy jokes.

:baiting: