'Shazam' movie official thread (because he deserves one too)
5 5

1,517 posts in this topic

8,601 posts

Zac will be at the Calgary Expo this weekend! I’m looking forward to shaking his hand. I was a huge fan of the TV show Chuck back in the day.

16,066 posts

CM Day 48 $1.4MM > Shazam Day 20 $1MM.  WB botched this release badly; at least the movie was well received by critics.

5,421 posts
2 minutes ago, paperheart said:

...WB botched this release badly; at least the movie was well received by critics.

Sadly, you're 100% correct.

I would not have even touched close to Avengers if I was them. I'm not sure what they were thinking.

The public has known about Avengers 4 being "early-May 2019" since 2015. Awful timing by WB.

80,321 posts
1 hour ago, Bosco685 said:

Although sitting at 3.3X production budget, this could have been so much larger.

DC_MCU190425a.thumb.PNG.40ac80497c1277b18e133b767f1e266b.PNG

80,321 posts

Zachary Levi and cast deserved better marketing and release schedule planning.

Shazam01.thumb.PNG.e269cf75b48f581959318bb3616fc812.PNG

80,321 posts

6,585 posts

...Enjoyed it! Just hope for a more 'serious' take in regards to the Captains personality next go round.

....He does possess the 'wisdom' of Solomon. 

16,066 posts
Posted (edited)

luiz, can we talk about legs? 635K Thurs, down 75% vs Holy Thursday

Edited by paperheart

19,554 posts
Posted (edited)

Disagree with the notion the movie is a bust. Eventual $400 million on a $100 million budget with no star power whatsoever? And a totally obscure character? Warner is making a $50-100 million profit. (Based on needing 3x budget to break even). Could it have done better in june? Maybe. But who cares what the avengers with a $300 million budget and 20 stars does? Plus it gives some context to black Adam, which will crack a billion with the rock.

Edited by the blob

16,066 posts

absolutely buried by Endgame.  $5.6MM weekend estimate is down 66%. If Int'l similarly affected (why wouldn't it have been?), $400MM WW is a pipe dream.

80,321 posts

1,027 posts

I’m still seeing it today over Avengers. I prefer to catch movies as they near the end of their run. Then I can pretend the theater is my own personal entertainment room. Watched Pet Semetary yesterday but could have skipped it. Regardless of reviews, I will see every Stephen King movie and hope for the best. Avengers is taking up half of the cinema screens in the one I go to in Vegas so it’s a great time to watch other movies that are ending their runs soon. Near empty theaters.

8,601 posts
52 minutes ago, Oddball said:

I’m still seeing it today over Avengers. I prefer to catch movies as they near the end of their run. Then I can pretend the theater is my own personal entertainment room. Watched Pet Semetary yesterday but could have skipped it. Regardless of reviews, I will see every Stephen King movie and hope for the best. Avengers is taking up half of the cinema screens in the one I go to in Vegas so it’s a great time to watch other movies that are ending their runs soon. Near empty theaters.

DC386A1F-6A78-476A-82E9-4A7431D7E8CC.jpeg

80,321 posts
10 minutes ago, piper said:

Zac’s panel was a blast and we just got a family photo with him!

P-TVK-TP7-9YX.JPG

That is outstanding! Thank you for sharing this.

:foryou:

1,027 posts

Going to see this in an hour, it BETTER BE GOOD or I’m coming back to this thread like Eastwood riding into a town with vengeance on his mind.

ok that was a bit much but I’ll trash this place like TwoPiece in a Captain Marvel thread. 

ok that was worse. 

80,321 posts
1 hour ago, Oddball said:

Going to see this in an hour, it BETTER BE GOOD or I’m coming back to this thread like Eastwood riding into a town with vengeance on his mind.

ok that was a bit much but I’ll trash this place like TwoPiece in a Captain Marvel thread. 

ok that was worse. 

:whatthe:

:ohnoez::ohnoez::ohnoez:

29,635 posts
5 hours ago, Oddball said:

ok that was a bit much but I’ll trash this place like TwoPiece in a Captain Marvel thread

ok that was worse. 

that's gotta be close to the hate-crime standard.

1,853 posts

Saw it, loved it. Shocked it made what it did being released in a horrible position with no quality marketing but it left a lot of money on the table. This should be a lesson to all. Where you position your film matters. How you advertise it matters. its not just enough to be great, you gotta be in a spot with little competition in the weeks before and after you to avoid fatigue and direct box office battle. You gotta spend money on advertising too.

Glad the film made ok profit, hope this means sequel is on the way.