• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does a comic book loose value if I redeem the digital code inside?

22 posts in this topic

On Reddit you can easily sell digital codes in Marvel Comics for $1. This is a good way to recoup some of the costs of buying my monthly comics.

I know that most likely modern comics will not be worth any money in the future but I am wondering if redeeming digital codes would lower their value, in case some of them become hot!

I would imagine yes. It would be the equivalent of a missing marvel value stamp, etc.

Not really, because everything would still be there. It's just that the coupon would not work anymore.

I've heard people say that during the first year after publication, during which the code is valid (it's my understanding that they expire after a year), a book with the sticker still in place should be worth more (makes sense), because you know the code is still valid whereas it may not be if the sticker is removed. But that after it expires they should be worth the same.

But my question is this: if you had the choice to purchase a book with the sticker or without the sticker, and they were the same price, and as far as you could tell they were in the exact same condition, which would you choose? I know I would choose the one with the sticker, because it could still be removed and be the same as the other book, but the reverse isn't true. I imagine the vast majority of collectors who expressed a preference would choose the same. So it's worth more, but how much more? Who can say?

But that probably just applies to raw books. It's my understanding that CGC doesn't dock for the sticker being missing, and also doesn't note whether it's present. If that's true, you have absolutely no way of telling if a slabbed book includes the sticker without cracking it open, so until CGC adds that note, slabbed books should be worth the same.

I would imagine yes. It would be the equivalent of a missing marvel value stamp, etc.

Not really, because everything would still be there. It's just that the coupon would not work anymore.

The ones that I've had in Marvel books have a sticker that has to be peeled off to reveal the code underneath. This physically changes the book and you cannot reverse it. So technically it would make the book incomplete. If 20 years from now a book becomes valuable, I am positive an untampered book with the sticker still sealed will be worth more than copies with the sticker removed. Expired or not.

Now the likelyhood that these books will become valuable in the future is a completely different discussion.

Okay...i am really out of touch and an old fogey...this thread really just shredded my mind.....aaaaaaarrrrggghhhhh.....ackack ah ah ah ah.....Wow...alright...

I have only really bought Superior Spidey and ASM modern wise in the last few years...never put in the digital...meant to,but did not get around to it...

Did not even think of a reduced value...besides me reading may damage.

You gang really opened this old fellas eyes..,under forty...but...Wow...blew my mind

The ones that I've had in Marvel books have a sticker that has to be peeled off to reveal the code underneath. This physically changes the book and you cannot reverse it. So technically it would make the book incomplete. If 20 years from now a book becomes valuable, I am positive an untampered book with the sticker still sealed will be worth more than copies with the sticker removed. Expired or not.

Now the likelyhood that these books will become valuable in the future is a completely different discussion.

I will now start using a glue stick to re-attach the little tab.

No one will ever know!

I will now start using a glue stick to re-attach the little tab.

No one will ever know!

Restoration!! (tsk)

It's probably just a matter of time before collectors put enough pressure on CGC to indicate the presence of the sticker, in which case we'll have 3 classes of books in a certain period: with sticker, without stick, and no mention (Schrodinger's Slab!*)

*("Schrodinger's Slab" is ® and ™ GeeksAreMyPeeps 2014)

It's probably just a matter of time before collectors put enough pressure on CGC to indicate the presence of the sticker, in which case we'll have 3 classes of books in a certain period: with sticker, without stick, and no mention (Schrodinger's Slab!*)

*("Schrodinger's Slab" is ® and ™ GeeksAreMyPeeps 2014)

CGC will not downgrade a book below 9.8 for the label being removed from the digital code, but it will always be noted on the CGC label itself that it has been removed.

"Digital code label removed"

or

"Manufactured without peel apart sticker for digital download."

are notations you may already have seen on some CGC labels out there.

If the sticker and label are both present as they should be, no special notation is made on the CGC label.

On Reddit you can easily sell digital codes in Marvel Comics for $1. This is a good way to recoup some of the costs of buying my monthly comics.

I know that most likely modern comics will not be worth any money in the future but I am wondering if redeeming digital codes would lower their value, in case some of them become hot!

you can't post something like that without also posting tonights winning lottery numbers.