• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Blade Runner 2 on the way care of Ridley Scott
2 2

460 posts in this topic

The most significant difference is the original theatrical version has voiceover narration that Ford intentionally did poorly, which really alters the tone of the film. The other permutations vary by tiny amounts of additional footage that have significant impact on the overall meaning. But yeah, Final Cut is the way to go.

I envy you, I wish I were seeing it for the first time! That being said, don't let your expectations get the better of you; it is absolutely a fine film but if you expect too much you may be disappointed.

Maybe it's just the fact that it was the first one I saw and fell in love with, but I love the original theatrical release. I always felt it would be too confusing if he didn't have the narration explaining some of the back story.

The most significant difference is the original theatrical version has voiceover narration that Ford intentionally did poorly, which really alters the tone of the film. The other permutations vary by tiny amounts of additional footage that have significant impact on the overall meaning. But yeah, Final Cut is the way to go.

I envy you, I wish I were seeing it for the first time! That being said, don't let your expectations get the better of you; it is absolutely a fine film but if you expect too much you may be disappointed.

Maybe it's just the fact that it was the first one I saw and fell in love with, but I love the original theatrical release. I always felt it would be too confusing if he didn't have the narration explaining some of the back story.

I was the opposite - I don't like the narrative, it's too distracting. I actually love the quiet moments in the film, it seems to mirror the isolation and introspection that Deckard's character faces in the film, and inspires some contemplation in the audience about the film, atmosphere, etc. It's a minor thing, but I prefer no VO.

David Lynch is a great director. He also did some music which pops out if you’re into weird stuff: Jocelyn Montgomery album Lux Vivens. The woman that sang this has a voice that produced a perfect pitch without any editing. Twin Peaks is still great, but dated. Eraserhead I was never obliterated enough to watch it. It’s like seeing Pink Floyd the Wall straight.

For others who are into Blade Runner, you guys do realize that Rick Deckard was a replicant; right?

Well, everyone I've ever talked to if it has come up in idle conversation has said it's a really slow movie, kinda boring, etc. This thread is the first time I've seen so much positive stuff about it.

So my expectations aren't to high, but I've probably got 2 hours to kill and I'm sure I could do worse things with the time.

Movies before 1985 had a different pacing than movies of today. I guess the Bieber crowd may see it as a down side, but I'll take Godfather over anything Vin Diesel has ever been in.

David Lynch is a great director. He also did some music which pops out if you’re into weird stuff: Jocelyn Montgomery album Lux Vivens. The woman that sang this has a voice that produced a perfect pitch without any editing. Twin Peaks is still great, but dated. Eraserhead I was never obliterated enough to watch it. It’s like seeing Pink Floyd the Wall straight.

For others who are into Blade Runner, you guys do realize that Rick Deckard was a replicant; right?

i1um1hWX06d4H.gif

I still haven't seen Blade Runner. Every time I mention it to anyone the consensus is I'm not missing much.
Really?

Because it's leaps and bounds better than every super hero movie combined. Worlds better than the best movie Marvel Studios has ever, and will ever produce. Better than anything featuring a muscleman in briefs could possibly ever be, by it's very nature. It's a true classic. One we'll still be talking about sixty years from now, in a positive manner, like Citizen Kane. Not something most people won't even realize ever happened, like every single super hero movie before Superman.

Ok I'm going to watch it tonight or tomorrow after all those endorsements. I'll let ya know what I think.

Labeling this movie as a science fiction movie or action movie wont do it justice. I was always fascinated at how people approached this movie in that manner and treated it as such. If you don't associate with the level of depth in this movie, you would simply see it as an ok Sci-Fi flick. nothing better. But this movie is more about a different understanding/interpretation of life, with many Quantum Mechanics elements thrown in (the many-worlds interpretation is one that comes to mind) this to me was a life changing experience, only to be succeeded by Inception.

I still haven't seen Blade Runner. Every time I mention it to anyone the consensus is I'm not missing much.
Really?

Because it's leaps and bounds better than every super hero movie combined. Worlds better than the best movie Marvel Studios has ever, and will ever produce. Better than anything featuring a muscleman in briefs could possibly ever be, by it's very nature. It's a true classic. One we'll still be talking about sixty years from now, in a positive manner, like Citizen Kane. Not something most people won't even realize ever happened, like every single super hero movie before Superman.

Ok I'm going to watch it tonight or tomorrow after all those endorsements. I'll let ya know what I think.

Labeling this movie as a science fiction movie or action movie wont do it justice. I was always fascinated at how people approached this movie in that manner and treated it as such. If you don't associate with the level of depth in this movie, you would simply see it as an ok Sci-Fi flick. nothing better. But this movie is more about a different understanding/interpretation of life, with many Quantum Mechanics elements thrown in (the many-worlds interpretation is one that comes to mind) this to me was a life changing experience, only to be succeeded by Inception.

I call it Film Noir.

Inception sucked bung. :)

Well, everyone I've ever talked to if it has come up in idle conversation has said it's a really slow movie, kinda boring, etc. This thread is the first time I've seen so much positive stuff about it.

So my expectations aren't to high, but I've probably got 2 hours to kill and I'm sure I could do worse things with the time.

Good Call to watch it mate.

Like I said before - lights out, no distractions. Watch it alone. Get a decent bottle of Red in.

Pris, Kowalski,Roy,Zhora and Rachael are played sublimely. Sean Young is so beautiful in this - breathtaking.

JF and Gaff are excellent supporting characters - but Deckard - never has such a conflicted character ever been played so well on the big screen by Ford.

From the neon to the never-ending rain - Blade Runner will mesmerise you.

And you will watch it again, straight away afterwards.

A tour-de-force.

One of the problems with Blade Runner is there is now, what? 6 different cuts of the movie.

I have a soft spot for the original U.S. Theatrical cut because that's what the movie was when I was growing up. But the voice-over, while giving a noir 30's detective movie feel, tends to dumb the movie down a bit. And the ending feels exactly like what it is: tacked on.

I haven't seen the Final Cut, but the digital restoration on Blu-Ray is supposed to be amazing. But I have seen the Director's Cut, and I actually think I prefer it to the original release.

Just a word to prep you: the Director's Cut (and from what I've read of the Final Cut) are subtle films. There's several almost subliminal shots and not everything is spelled out. It requires the audience to think about what they're seeing. While the movie varies quite a bit from the book, if you've read the book and are familiar with it's themes it will help you understand the movie. When watching it for the first time, give it your undivided attention.

It's an artful movie, meant to provoke thought and discussion. And it looks awesome!

I have the Director's Cut of BLADE RUNNER in my collection and watch it yearly. In fact it is due for a watching this week! Looking forward to it.

Two things you said really strike true to me: "It requires the audience to think about what they're seeing." and "It's an artful movie, meant to provoke thought and discussion."

Both sentiments very true. BLADE RUNNER just pulls you into its world and doesn't let go. On the first viewing there are places you may not feel much or think "Huh? What?" But on subsequent viewings (one of the beauties of this film - it begs for subsequent viewings) you start getting more answers and asking more questions. A true masterpiece.

And this is form someone who generally does not like movies set in a rainy environment. (seriously. too much rain in a movie just depresses me because it is often used to mask shoddy special effects as in Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem which I will not dignify with all uppercase for the title - but in BLADE RUNNER it worked perfectly.)

Good Call to watch it mate.

Like I said before - lights out, no distractions. Watch it alone. Get a decent bottle of Red in.

Pris, Kowalski,Roy,Zhora and Rachael are played sublimely. Sean Young is so beautiful in this - breathtaking.

JF and Gaff are excellent supporting characters - but Deckard - never has such a conflicted character ever been played so well on the big screen by Ford.

From the neon to the never-ending rain - Blade Runner will mesmerise you.

And you will watch it again, straight away afterwards.

A tour-de-force.

And no word about the brilliant Vangelis soundtrack? hm

Yea there are only a handful of times where the movie is that much better than a really good book. Off the top of my head I'd say, Godfather, Blade Runner, Jurassic Park, and Jaws.

... And every Stanley Kubrick adaptation

The Shining is a terrible book. But you're right about A Clockwork Orange, that's an awesome book and a better movie. I'm not sure that 2001 counts.

I disagree, The Shining is a great book and I prefer it to the movie. (thumbs u

Edited by Bane

I wonder if people like Dune the movie or book more?

Awesome, groundbreaking book. movie, and David Lynch is one of my Top One directors!

Dune suffered from the producers interfering and Lynch being forced to cut it short.

They filmed over 4 hours of material, there is a "TV version" floating around thats longer then the cinematic version which someone edited together.

The studio has approached Lynch a number of times to produce a remastered directors cut which he has full control over but he refuses to this day to have anything to do with the movie.

The soundtrack is very good and the movie doesn't look too bad for its age, its a bit rushed and convoluted but its still watchable if your a fan of the book.

I always assumed that Deckard was a replicant, but my understanding is the different cuts of the film make this more or less true.

Correct. Depending on which version you get a chance to see, Deckard is either the sixth replicant mentioned earlier in the movie, or he finally comes to value his humanity more than he did earlier in the movie. A big variance.

I have the 4-disc Collector's Edition that contains four versions of the movie (2007 Final Cut, 1992 Director's Cut, 1982 Theatrical Cut, 1982 International Theatrical Cut). I may go ahead over a week and watch each to see what the differences are.

A reviewer on Amazon did a super job of capturing the different versions of the movies, based on recent different disc sets.

Disc 1

• Final Cut Version - Restored and remastered with added & extended scenes, added lines, new and cleaner special effects and all new 5.1 Dolby Digital Audio.
  • Also included is commentary by Ridley Scott and a host of others that worked behind the camera.

Disc 2 - Documentary - Dangerous Days: Making of Blade Runner - A feature-length documentary revealing all the elements that shaped this cinema landmark. Cast, crew, critics and colleagues give a behind-the-scenes, in-depth look at the film from its literary roots and inception through casting, production, visuals and special effects to its legacy.

Disc 3

• 1982 Theatrical Version - The original that contains Deckard's narration and has Deckard and Rachel's (Sean Young) "happy ending" escape scene.

• 1982 International Version - Also used on U.S. home video, laserdisc and cable releases up to 1992. This version is not rated, and contains some extended action scenes in contrast to the Theatrical Version.

• 1992 Director's Cut - Omits Deckard's voiceover narration and removes the "happy ending" finale. It adds the famous "unicorn" sequence, a vision that Deckard has which suggests that he, too, may be a replicant.

Disc 4 - BONUS Disc "Enhancement Archive" - Eight featurettes, image galleries, radio interview with the author, and screen tests for the part of Rachel.

Disc 5

• Workprint Version - This rare version of the film is considered by some to be the most radically different of all the Blade Runner cuts. It includes an altered opening scene, no Deckard narration until the final scenes, no "unicorn" sequence, no Deckard/Rachel "happy ending," altered lines between Rutger Hauer and his creator Tyrell (Joe Turkell), alternate music and much more.

• Also included is commentary by Paul M. Sammon, author of Future Noir: The Making of Blade Runner and a featurette - "All Our Variant Futures: From Workprint to Final Cut".