• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sub. creases & CGC

12 posts in this topic

My educated guess is that if the crease breaks color, probably a VG. If it doesn't, as not all do, it could wind up a Fine or maybe even a F+ at most. That depends on how much other damage there could be attributed to the crease, as sometimes you get stress cracks along the fold. I was recently involved in a trade with an overtreet advisor, and this is how he graded them. And based on what I know of grading it made a lot of sense.

Variations in grading could occur because not all subcription creases are the same. (As per above description). But, I would be interested in what other board members think.

My own take on it is that, value-wise, there are cases where a hi-grade

book with a light crease can be just as attractive as an overall FN+ or FN/VF.

I'm asking because I've never seen a CGC graded sub-copy get more

than VG+, which doesn't make sense to me.

Here's a good example - book looks like a VF+ other than the sub crease (spine stress, light 1/4" edge crease bottom right), CGC gave it a VG+. I agree that it depends on the severity of the crease, and would imagine sub creases are handled the same as any other type of crease.

hulk4.jpg

That's a pretty book...maybe a Fine? Light spine stress, a couple bindery chips at the tips of the spine (CGC doesn't downgrade much for these on GA books), looks like a 9.2 without the crease. I guess it depends on how bad the creasing is - is the book bent, or does it lay flat? Is the crease visible on the back cover?

BTW - have you seen the CGC 9.6 NM+ Four Color 178 Mark Wilson had for sale!?!? His asking price was $15k...and it's sold!

Nice book. The sub crease is not bad, but it does break the color enough that it stands out. The corners have some rounding to them and there appears to be some stress wear to the spine. Is the writting in the bottom right corner printed or hand written?

Tom

The date is hand written. Scary to think that Pearl Harbor happenedjust a few weeks later, btw... Here are some bigger scans. I'd have given this book a VF- without thecrease because of the stress lines at the lower spine (which are actuallynot as bad as they appeared in the first scan).My point is that I still think it should be a FN with the crease. I thinkCGC is out of sync with the market if they categorically give every sub. copy a VG! mad.gifBig- FC scan

BC scan