• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Killing Joke spin-off thread: Your Top Ten
2 2

43 posts in this topic

57 minutes ago, BCarter27 said:

I see your point. Not to pick on the KJ page 1 (that's just the outlier of the moment), but isn't it more of an "early Action" and not Action 1? (Cue A,B,C,D discussion! Or please don't! lol ) But I think your metaphor holds up.

The last time I was in that situation it was an Action 23 in high grade, in 1996, and I had to decide if I wanted 6 times time or 7 times guide as an asking price, so it applied to lots and lots of items if the grade was high enough which made them scarce enough to demand above guide pricing. 

I think it is impossible to properly value pages from a book like KJ or Watchman or Dark Knight by comparing them to the rest of the OA market.  Those books and a few others are in a class by themselves.  You can look at what Bolland art goes for and it will be significantly lower than even one of the worst pages from KJ.  In my opinion, pg. 1 is one of the weakest pages but they are all special and amazing.  I just don't see how it is possible to grade comic art and establish a market in the same way you do comics or baseball cards.