• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Collection inventory software

19 posts in this topic

If this is already posted please forgive me (I tried searching and found no hits).

What software/apps do you use to keep track of your comic book collection and wish list?

I currently have a spreadsheet and am looking to upgrade so I can scan UPCs for newer books and take my wish list on my mobile device.

I found these apps: CLZ Comic Database ($14.99 + annual fee for cloud storage), Comic Book Inventory (free for 100 books). Any experience with these or others?

------------------------------

Longtime Lurker

Longer Time Collector

I use CLZ (Collectorz.com) software and I'm pleased so far; even though it doesn't have some of the features I would like (being able to print out want lists).

Psy

You can't? I put them in my "Wish List" and it looks like that can be printed.

I purchase the Pro version of Collectorz after soliciting some recommendations. I've been slowly moving my collection over from the text programs where I had been tracking everything. I'm finding that there are a lot of items missing from their database, and also a lot of duplication of issues or incorrect information. So far I've mostly been entering books that aren't Marvel or DC, so there may be less issues with those publishers, but it irks me that I'm basically doing the job that I would think they should be doing to keep their software useful.

I use Comic Base. It's a little on the expensive side but you can print want lists. There is also a free version if you want to test the program.

http://www.comicbase.com/mycb/products/products.aspx

+1 I've used them for 15 years so I must be happy! I've looked at other resources but none of them have listings that are as complete.

Thanks for these many replies. Looks like we have a tie between Comic Base and Collectorz. From my research, it looks like both work as locally installed software on a computer (vs. a web app), both have lots of issues and covers pre-loaded, and both let you back up your data to the cloud.

With Comic Base you can buy an expensive UPC scanner/reader or their website says they have a new app available for scanning codes, BUT I can't find it in the iTunes Store. Comic Base is also at least $60 (and up) for the basic software.

You can get the Collectorz software for $30 or $50; the smart phone app for $15 and use the built in camera to scan codes; can you buy the $15 app and nothing else? Not clear... Collectorz may be the one for me since I still collect current series and entering them by hand is a pain.

I may download free demo versions of each PC software. If I misunderstood anything please let me know.

I too was like you doing research and asking this question when looking at software. I was using excel but that wasn't enough for me, even using google docs excel.

Collectorz is the program I went with. To use the app, you're required to have the program. If you have 100 comics, use the trial as it's the same program as the full version. When you're ready to buy the full version, you get a $5 off coupon towards the full version.

I have 2 saved files, 1 for my CGC and 1 for raw books.

Thanks for these many replies. Looks like we have a tie between Comic Base and Collectorz. From my research, it looks like both work as locally installed software on a computer (vs. a web app), both have lots of issues and covers pre-loaded, and both let you back up your data to the cloud.

With Comic Base you can buy an expensive UPC scanner/reader or their website says they have a new app available for scanning codes, BUT I can't find it in the iTunes Store. Comic Base is also at least $60 (and up) for the basic software.

You can get the Collectorz software for $30 or $50; the smart phone app for $15 and use the built in camera to scan codes; can you buy the $15 app and nothing else? Not clear... Collectorz may be the one for me since I still collect current series and entering them by hand is a pain.

I may download free demo versions of each PC software. If I misunderstood anything please let me know.

Collectorz has a barcode ap that's an additional $7 or so. You don't necessarily need to enter with the barcode, you can search their database for comics and add them that way. But as I mentioned, I'm noticing some duplication and errors. (I also imagine that for you to be able to find the book with a barcode scanned that someone would have had to enter the book into the database using the barcode.)

I use CLZ (Collectorz.com) software and I'm pleased so far; even though it doesn't have some of the features I would like (being able to print out want lists).

Psy

You can't? I put them in my "Wish List" and it looks like that can be printed.

I would prefer to not have to enter them as a wish list item; and instead I would rather run a report and have it print out what issues I'm missing. For example; what I would prefer is to be able to enter a title; volume and start and end numbers and have it print out a list of issues that I'm missing between those numbers.

Which to me is a lot easier then having to go in select issues that I'm missing and add them to a want list; and then make sure I take them off the want list and add them to my collection. With over 350 different titles and almost 7000 comic books; trying to enter stuff via the want list is just not manageable in my opinion.

I use to use an old dos program called Compu-Comic and it worked great; with all kinds of different reports that could be printed and the missing issue was the one that I used the most.

I'm finding that there are a lot of items missing from their database, and also a lot of duplication of issues or incorrect information. So far I've mostly been entering books that aren't Marvel or DC, so there may be less issues with those publishers, but it irks me that I'm basically doing the job that I would think they should be doing to keep their software useful.

I think that some of what you are running into is that CLZ's database is user driven; as in the users supply the data. So that is one reason why you see a lot of duplicate issues in their database as one user might enter the issue information one way and another user might call it something different because of it being a 2nd printing or a variant cover.

As I do various updates (I'm currently going through and making sure that I have the price I paid for each issue entered; and also entering a rough value for each issue); I go in and fix the information so it looks cleaner.

Psy

I use comic collector live. The only negative is the yearly fee. It lets you log multiple formats of things(comics, graphic novels, statues). Has a wish list and its own online store. It will auto generate reports. It does have an app that lets you keep up with your wishlist. I forget how much the app costs but its a minimal one time fee.

Comic Base can give you the list you are looking for. It can do either a list of missing issues or a list of issues you have, whatever works for you.

I remember getting the scanner off of Amazon and $60.00 sounds about right. If you have a lot of books to enter the scanner is the best way to do it. Just keep in mind that old books reused UPC codes so you will get a list asking which book you are trying to enter.

I love the web storage. I update my collection to the web which allows me to access it from any PC tablet or phone. I can easily see what books I have and if an issue is needed.

It is an expensive item I know that, but it's been perfect and I have yet to find a book that isn't in the database.