• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Suicide Squad movie coming
2 2

3,562 posts in this topic

Fan's Recut 'Suicide Squad' Could Be Better Than Actual Movie

Rumors of a messy production plagued the film before it was even released, and those rumors seemed to prove true when the final cut premiered in theaters. The makings of a decent film are there — unfortunately, it just doesn't exist in the runtime as it is.

So a user called PK2141 on the /r/movies subReddit decided to take matters into his own hands and produce what they’ve called the “Ultimate Cut” of Suicide Squad.

- Clean up the pacing and make the plot more concise
- Changes the coloring in certain scenes to create a consistent tone in an otherwise semi-cartoony movie
- Black-and-white colorization for flashbacks and introductions
- Adding some separation to the events of the film
- Removing the Amanda Waller voiceovers which are superfluous to what’s happening on the screen
- Some scenes are removed entirely, like Rick Flag’s introduction
- Changes the “twist reveal” so that everything between Flag, Enchantress, and her brother happens in one sequence
- Removal of some of the soundtrack in the film, replaced by the score. While the film was attempting to capture the magic of Guardians of the Galaxy with the music, Suicide Squad failed in comparison.

If you want to watch it for yourself, you can. So long as you already own a copy of the movie.  (Reddit Thread Here)

The movie was ok to me, but it goes way downhill after the helicopter crash. After that, I feel the Suicide Squad has absolutely no urgency in completing their mission, and casually walk for blocks. I am also discovering how much I hate filler: filler of the team fighting grapehead "who-cares" enemy soldiers.

I bought the DVD and tried to re-watch it, I didn't make it through the film and turned it off before the final battle.

The highlight for me is watching Margot Robbie walk in that over revealing outfit. My goodness the woman is a goddess.

I actually liked Leto as the Joker, but I hated they way they decided he should look. Those teeth, ugh!

8 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

I actually liked Leto as the Joker, but I hated they way they decided he should look. Those teeth, ugh!

I did enjoy what Leto did, but nowhere near as much as Ledger's Joker.  Most of that wasn't his performance, it was the writing.  He just wasn't anywhere near as interesting.  I also had no reason to see why he liked Harley so much that he'd risk himself for her over and over...you just had to accept it as a given.

3 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

I have a feeling Matt Reeves, if he decides to utilize the Joker in his movie, will take the look back to a more traditional appearance. 

None of the 'Training Day' or 'End of Watch' gang look.

Yesterday I brought you some news about how Warner has begun very early discussions about Harley Quinn’s next big screen adventure in the DCEU, but now there’s a rumor about her first. Yes, that means that I’m talking about the Ayer Cut of Suicide Squad.

The latest rumor is that they have begun talking about the possibility of releasing the cut at some point on HBO Max just like they’re doing with Zack Snyder’s Justice League. And the good news is doing so would be much easier (and cheaper) than the task of finishing the Snyder Cut.

Ayer’s cut of Suicide Squad was virtually finished when they began to test screen it, meaning a lot of people outside of Warner Brothers have seen his version of the movie. And for most of them, they liked it a lot more than the theatrical version as there was a lot more Joker including a big fight with him in the subway. The beginning also wasn’t edited like a music video, as all of the flashbacks happened in chronological order. There was also a very different and clear tone to the Joker and Harley’s relationship, which actually fits better with the opening of Birds of Prey.

For some reason, the people in charge of Warner at the time brought in a trailer house to re-edit the movie to basically make it like Guardians of the Galaxy, the two versions competed internally, and we were left with what we got in theaters. Even the “extended” version of Suicide Squad released on home video doesn’t resemble the original Ayer version.

Compared to the costly and time-consuming job of finishing Zack Snyder’s Justice League; polishing the few remaining VFX shots in Ayer’s cut is nothing. It’s so easy to finish up that version of the movie it could even theoretically be released before Justice League; if they decide to go forward with it.

1 hour ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

I'm guessing that the Ayer Cut does not feature Steppenwolf, though?

I'm not sure when he was axed as the villain for Suicide Squad.

‘Suicide Squad’: David Ayer Says Steppenwolf Reveal Was Never Shot

David Ayer addressed some rumors about Suicide Squad and said that the Steppenwolf reveal never made it past the scripting stage.

Ever since Suicide Squad came out, there’s been a lot of speculation regarding David Ayer’s original vision for the film. The theatrical version of Suicide Squad sets up Justice League during the mid-credits scene with the appearance of Ben Affleck’s Bruce Wayne. However, we’ve known that Steppenwolf was originally going to appear in the film at the end as well. There have also been rumors in regards to how much of Jared Leto’s Joker was cut out of the film, with some saying that the cut scenes can make-up an entire Joker movie.

David Ayer’s ‘Suicide Squad’ Originally Led Into Zack Snyder’s ‘Justice League’

The director told fans that he and Zack Snyder “synced up” their storylines so that Squad would lead into the fight against Darkseid and Steppenwolf. This isn’t surprising since Ayer posted concept art of what seemed to be technology from Apokolips and even confirmed that an early -script draft saw Steppenwolf make an appearance at the end of the film. Take a look at David Ayer discussing the two DC films on Twitter below.

I finally got around to watching Suicide Squad as I was clearing out my DVR over the past couple of weeks.  68 Whiskey was a solid program.  I'll start with that interjection first.  As for SS, it was ok.  I liked some of the performances.  Viola Davis was great.  Leto was not my cup of tea.  Maybe I was too spoiled with Romero, Nicholson and Ledger, but I couldn't buy into him as Joker.  I feel if he had been an entirely separate bad guy then I would have a different opinion of him.  I despised his character design as well.  Plot-wise it seemed thin A.F.  It was kind of like watching video game cut scenes between all the game play.  Two minutes of plot, 15 minutes of action.  There has to be a degree of pacing, and this film didn't have it.  I didn't think it was terrible but it kept my interest enough to be at least intrigued as to what was cut from the theatrical version.  

Director David Ayer may finally get what he deserves in the DC Extended Universe (DCEU).

As the man behind the 2016 Suicide Squad, which received a dismal score of 26% on Rotten Tomatoes, Ayer has since been very vocal about his original work being “ripped to pieces,” per Deadline. According to ScreenRant, he argued that the final cut reportedly looks nothing like his original -script.

However, Ayer recently took to X (the platform formerly known as Twitter) on Monday (Aug. 7) to share that DC Studios co-CEO James Gunn told him his version of the film “would have its time to be shared.”

In response to the news, one critic tweeted, “Not to call out David by saying this, but you do know this was released back in 2016, right?”

Ayer retweeted the critic, asking them, “What’s your advice on how to navigate this situation with grace?”

image.png.dd6cf97a5917a24de5c40009f60bcd86.png

Interesting that so many still hate on this movie. You would figure that people would move on at some point. Right now WBD is likely wishing that any of its "failures" or "screw ups" would hit $747M at the box office, especially the domestic take at $325M (which is more than all of the most recent films except for Black Adam did globally)