• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Legion of Superheroes collecting thread
3 3

620 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, steelcity said:

There are Adventure Comics from the Massachusetts pedigree. I bought some from Marnin Rosenberg back in 1997/98 along with Detective, Superman and World’s Finest. The collection was too early to be CGC graded though some were graded in 2000/01 without all being noted as Mass.copies on the label. My Adventure 300 was bought from Marnin in 2001, CGC graded and it had a green circular sticker on the outside of the case so I have assumed it is a Mass. copy. No certificates were issued with any of my books from the collection. As far as I know only a sticker on the Mylar ever indicated a book to be Massachusetts. Someone needs to ask Marnin. I lost contact with him a long time ago.

Interesting, good to know. 

That of course is one major explanation at the lack of Adventures from the traditional pedigrees surfacing--they're buried in raw form in collections and not flipped every 6 months like Marvels are. 

12 hours ago, Aman619 said:

Earlier it was mentioned why so few LSH covers after 300. Didn’t the covers alternate issue by issue — Superboy then LSH — until the legion took over ?

You'd think so, right?  But that's way too rational.  Here's the first 10 covers.  So after the big fanfare of #300, DC proceeded to have 8 covers featuring the same old same old. 

300 Legion

301 Superboy

302 Legion

303 Superboy

304 Superboy

305 Superboy

306 Superboy

307 Legion

308 Superboy

309 Superboy

310 Superboy

This thread has suddenly died!  Did my detailed analysis of Adventure 300-310 covers put everyone to sleep?

My next Adventure isn't until 312.  What can I say, I've always been a failure as a completist.  I've posted it already, but just to maintain the sequential order.  Tough tough book in high grade, Toth copy, yada yada yada.

adventure 312.jpg

Geez Tim, that 312 is unreal. One of may all time favorite issues! 

And no, your analysis didn't put anyone to sleep. I find it hard to post anything meaningful at work, and even harder to get online at home!

I really wish a Marvel guy would take a look at this thread, and say, I need to give the legion a try, and read a couple of the two-parters or classic early issues we have discussed. These were such fun stories to read! They aren't Lee and Kirby good, but they were very good, very fun. I cant stop thinking that describes them best. 

Ok, do we need a 309? Not Tim quality, but a nice copy. 

adv309.jpg

Edited by Silver

A total left turn here, but why isn't the issue that Superman's Kryptonian name is revealed for the first time a big deal? The name Kal-El is so iconic to the Superman stories, and yet the issue it first occurred isn't even broken out in the guide?

kalel.jpg

Edited by Silver

4 hours ago, Silver said:

A total left turn here, but why isn't the issue that Superman's Kryptonian name is revealed for the first time a big deal? The name Kal-El is so iconic to the Superman stories, and yet the issue it first occurred isn't even broken out in the guide?

kalel.jpg

Which issue is this?

4 hours ago, Silver said:

I think that’s Wayne Boring. Either way, I agree. 

Lol. No I like Boring. He had a quirky style, but his flying walking Superman was always very powerfully drawn.  But his women were similar to Ditko in that they all looked similar, and a bit weird.  

I meant Forte, the Legion artist in the 300s.