Legion of Superheroes collecting thread
3 3

564 posts in this topic

11,200 posts

I actually understated the depth of my LSH collection. I have every silver age appearance (Adventure Comics + Jimmy Olsen, Lois Lane, Superman, Worlds Finest, Action Comics, Superboy) AND the run in Action Comics that immediately proceeded their Adventure run, plus the entire run in Superboy, and then their own multiple series afterwards. 

It’s not the the hardest collecting feat there is, that’s for sure, although the 247 has gotten more expensive though. What makes it kind of fun and a challenge is all of the appearances through the silver age. 

As a side note, high grade Adventures with the Legion (300-380) have definitely been on the price rise, with some going for some staggering amounts. 

Edited by Silver

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,257 posts
On 11/25/2019 at 4:18 PM, Silver said:

I actually understated the depth of my LSH collection. I have every silver age appearance (Adventure Comics + Jimmy Olsen, Lois Lane, Superman, Worlds Finest, Action Comics, Superboy) AND the run in Action Comics that immediately proceeded their Adventure run, plus the entire run in Superboy, and then their own multiple series afterwards. 

It’s not the the hardest collecting feat there is, that’s for sure, although the 247 has gotten more expensive though. What makes it kind of fun and a challenge is all of the appearances through the silver age. 

As a side note, high grade Adventures with the Legion (300-380) have definitely been on the price rise, with some going for some staggering amounts. 

Congratulations on a complete Legion run. Those of us who collect Legion books can only admire such an achievement!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11,200 posts
55 posts
2 hours ago, Silver said:

What a yucky scan for such a pricey book~you'd think if asking that many multiples of guide it would be better.  So I pulled out my bottom staple  pull copy and measured what looks like color loss along the right edge, in the black area, and it is more than 3".  Might be from the poor scan or damage to the case; wish the sellers would always enlighten us?  Any thoughts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57,325 posts

Just because someone's asking that price doesn't mean it's going to sell at that price.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,257 posts

Very true. Silly priced books are easy to seek out and there they are... unsold.

Adventure 311 has a sort of scarcity about it but this copy is not a great NM-. 

I think the following issue 312 far more merits collector demand.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57,325 posts

I remember Michael Naiman auctioning off the raw WM copy of Adventure 311 on eBay many many years ago.  I still regret not winning it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11,200 posts

After seeing 332 get more than 1K twice now in 9.2, I do wonder what this 311 would go for in an auction...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,257 posts

There are examples of various books having a temporary sales price spike that then settles again but equally books can remain at higher prices after a surge of interest. High prices are likely to bring further copies for sale.

This particular copy could do very well at auction with a better scan but what is the ragged white line in the black left edge area? Not seen a 311 with this printing defect so perhaps a surface scratch?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,257 posts
9 hours ago, tth2 said:

I remember Michael Naiman auctioning off the raw WM copy of Adventure 311 on eBay many many years ago.  I still regret not winning it.

I think we all have painful memories of missed books that don’t get easier over time. Yet strangely over the same time our occasional collecting victories often seem to have a lesser amount of positive impact. Perhaps being a collector is more self punishing than self congratulating...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57,325 posts
2 hours ago, steelcity said:

I think we all have painful memories of missed books that don’t get easier over time. Yet strangely over the same time our occasional collecting victories often seem to have a lesser amount of positive impact. Perhaps being a collector is more self punishing than self congratulating...

That's definitely true.  I dwell on the misses and losses way more than I do the wins.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15,296 posts

not sure this counts...

superboy_125.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57,325 posts

Sal! :hi:

Of course it counts!  Nice book! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15,296 posts
10 hours ago, tth2 said:

Sal! :hi:

Of course it counts!  Nice book! 

lol after i posted it i read the notes and was like :tonofbricks:

 

hope you're safe, friend.  have you thought about sending your Western Penn copies of MGA over to me for, uh, safe keeping?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57,325 posts
45 minutes ago, Sal said:
10 hours ago, tth2 said:

Sal! :hi:

Of course it counts!  Nice book! 

lol after i posted it i read the notes and was like :tonofbricks:

Any issue featuring a character named "Kid Psycho" is okay in my book.  Just think what Alan Moore could've done with that!

46 minutes ago, Sal said:

have you thought about sending your Western Penn copies of MGA over to me for, uh, safe keeping?

Long gone, dude! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
396 posts

Picked this one up. Not the best centering but it's the only 9.4 on the census, and downright scarce at 9.2+.

 

AC-347-94(MurphyAnderson).jpg.23f211450813de4570a98af8d61807f3.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,257 posts
On 12/10/2019 at 12:57 AM, Rosland said:

Picked this one up. Not the best centering but it's the only 9.4 on the census, and downright scarce at 9.2+.

 

AC-347-94(MurphyAnderson).jpg.23f211450813de4570a98af8d61807f3.jpg

Nice copy and the black label looks good. The CGC census has shown us that some Adventure Comics from the mid 1960s are surprisingly tough in high grade. 348 and 353 can also be difficult. It took me ages to find a 353 I was happy with. A single CGC 9.6 copy stood on the census for over a decade. Before CGC I remember asking major dealers why issues like these rarely showed in top shape. The answer back then was that they were too cheap for collectors to bother selling. 357 was also a problem but that issue now seems to be easier.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57,325 posts

Congrats!  That issue is indeed a toughie! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11,200 posts

Wow, I completely missed that one, too much Brave and the Bold buying lately! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
625 posts

Bought this for a nickel or a dime sometime around 1967 or 68 at a local swap meet. I’d like to upgrade it to a 5.0 someday if I could sell it and not have to put a lot a money into it.

C35F5018-72C2-4F70-9E82-E5624289F4EE.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
3 3