• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic staining / water damage

15 posts in this topic

Hi,

I can't find any definitive answer regarding stains on comics and CGC grading. I realize a fair amount of water damage or staining will drop a grade to Fine or VG. But what about a small faint stain or very light water mark. Does it make a difference if it's on the back cover? Opinions seem to range from VG to VF+. Are there any kind of staining/water mark rules CGC uses to determine a grade? Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks

I have a Daredevil 131 that has a small stain on the book and it came back a 9.2
. Pic? Is it water?

Not sure what kind of stain it is, but it lists it on the graders notes that I bought. Very Very tiny on the edge of the book:

IMAG0283.jpg

I have a Sgt. Fury 13 that has a comparatively significant water stain on the top edge of both the front and back covers, as well as some pages. Structurally, the book is a minimum of a CGC 7.0/7.5. Had it pressed and it came back a CGC 5.0. Because of the red cover, the stain is very light on the front. That being said, the book looks fantastic for the grade if you're one of those people who can overlook a defect like that. There's a pic of it in my sig line.