• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Black Panther official movie thread (11/3/17)
1 1

1,408 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Chaos_in_Canada said:

Sorry, you're in the minority.

The top five domestic BO movies are, SW:TFA, Avatar, BP, A:IW & Titanic. All top notch movies. 

Comparing domestic BO results is a good indicator of the movie's quality.:baiting:

I disagree. You listed the TOP FIVE grossing movies which I personally agree are top notch. I could now counter you with ten times that amount of movies that were box office successes that were just... dumb.

9 minutes ago, Oddball said:

I disagree. You listed the TOP FIVE grossing movies which I personally agree are top notch. I could now counter you with ten times that amount of movies that were box office successes that were just... dumb.

Go ahead. 10X equals fifty movies.

I'm curious with your selection & their domestic BO results.

It's not easy.

Edited by Chaos_in_Canada
typo

8 minutes ago, Oddball said:

Oops let me add an edit here. I didn't catch the TFA on Star Wars.  I do NOT believe that movie is top notch at all. Quality production, yes, but a recycled story.

4 minutes ago, Chaos_in_Canada said:

Go ahead. 10X equals fifty movies.

I'm curious with your selection & their domestic BO results.

It's not easy.

JP The Lost World. If you read the novel, you hated this. 

All the Transformers except the first one and the new one I haven't seen. (4)

All the Fast and Furious movies. (10) 

Iron Man 2 & 3 

Amazing Spider-Man 1 & 2

Batman V Superman

Justice League

Suicide Squad

All the Pirates of the Caribbean 

Lara Croft Tomb Raider

The Twilight movies

Both Independence Day's

Indiana Jones/Crystal Skull

War of the Worlds

Fifty Shades movies

The Meg

There's at least over 30 right there off the top of my head. I'll have to see a list to give you the rest.

16 minutes ago, Chaos_in_Canada said:

Mr. Oddball,

Let's wait for the Oscars & I'll have my Victory Dance :foryou:

No one said it won't be nominated, just that its not deserving of Best Picture. Speaking of Oscars, did you know that Shawshank Redemption had multiple nominations and was a box office failure?

1 minute ago, Oddball said:

No one said it won't be nominated, just that its not deserving of Best Picture. Speaking of Oscars, did you know that Shawshank Redemption had multiple nominations and was a box office failure?

Sorry Oddball,

You didn't mention the Oscars.

I know Shawshank did poorly at the BO.

oscar+.jpg

On 12/27/2018 at 8:09 AM, Chaos_in_Canada said:

Sorry Oddball,

You didn't mention the Oscars.

I know Shawshank did poorly at the BO.

oscar+.jpg

got the nomination, has no shot as neither coogler or adapted screenplay were nominated, but still an amazing step forward (w/ nod to Christopher Nolan who should have had the first). 8 nominations in all, 1 more than Dark Knight

Edited by paperheart

58 minutes ago, Red84 said:

Black Panther is nowhere near close to being an Oscar worthy movie. It's good, but it's not that good.

Logan was Oscar worthy but didn't get the nod last year.

BP is a pretty good movie & is the ONLY superhero movie to be nominated for a Best Picture Oscar.

You can't change history.:baiting:

Edited by Chaos_in_Canada

Honestly, I don't think there has ever been a comic book movie that deserves an Oscar win for Best Picture. Not even Dark Knight but it did deserve a nomination at least in that category. I'm just being real, I love comic book movies but they do not stack up against films of consequence that evoke thought and emotion. I don't agree with the Best Picture choice every year but even my last choice is usually better than my favorite comic book movies. Of course the Best Pictures may not be as re-watchable or loved but there is no denying that comic movies don't hold a candle to films that deserve the distinction and honor of being considered the best the year has to offer. Are we really going to put Black Panther in the same league as Platoon, Unforgiven, Shindler's List, Million Dollar Baby or The Departed?  (And I only listed modern Best Pictures for my comparison). I loved Black Panther but it was not gut wrenching or emotional or thought provoking at all. I think I felt hollow for days after seeing Million Dollar Baby. After Black Panther, my kids looked at me and said, "That was pretty cool."  And it was. Just like most of them are. 

Too much hype.

Well directed, one of the better villains, okay storyline, patchy CGI.  Interesting social comments, but still basically adherent to the Marvel Studios formula underneath.

Edited by Ken Aldred

14 hours ago, DiamondCityComics said:

Thought it was real good like many of the other comic movies.   I feel there's a big reason why it got the headlines it did but I'm not going there.

...because it was a predominately black (African American) cast and "social" media wasn't going to let it fail.  I was getting tired of that headline after a few weeks.

But it is Black Panther after alllol...and a dang good movie.

Being nominated is great but I'm on the side of "why this movie"(shrug)?  Why not any other super hero movie prior?(shrug).  I honestly believe the topic mentioned above has a lot to do with it.  But that's just my opinion.

there were to many things wrong with the story for it to win best picture.

Example: It is ridiculous that a society so technologically advanced determines the leader of the "tribe" with a fight in cave-man fashion. Totally absurd.

Maybe the USA would like to adopt this and have the next Presidential candidates suit up in boxing attire and step into the ring.

"Winner by knock out and STILL President of the United States...!"

Edited by Artboy99