• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Black Panther official movie thread (11/3/17)
1 1

1,416 posts in this topic

Ava DuVernay Passes On Marvel's BLACK PANTHER; "We Couldn't See Eye To Eye"

“I guess I'll declare my independence from this rumor on 4th of July [and] Essence weekend!” said DuVernay, today. “I'm not signing on to direct Black Panther. I think I’ll just say we had different ideas about what the story would be. Marvel has a certain way of doing things and I think they’re fantastic and a lot of people love what they do. I loved that they reached out to me.”

“I loved meeting Chadwick and writers and all the Marvel execs,” she said. “In the end, it comes down to story and perspective. And we just didn't see eye to eye. Better for me to realize that now than cite creative differences later.”

:roflmao: She wanted to make a statement with this film. Marvel probably told her no. Come on sweetheart, you just passed on a golden ticket. Opening weekend will probably bank more than Selma's whole run.

hm

:roflmao: She wanted to make a statement with this film. Marvel probably told her no. Come on sweetheart, you just passed on a golden ticket. Opening weekend will probably bank more than Selma's whole run.

She may have passed on a golden ticket, but I have a lot of respect for her if she did really pass on it because she felt that it wasn't going to wind up being the best it could creatively (from her POV). Many might see it as "selling out" if she took the cash cab anyway. :shrug:

Joe Robert Cole To Write Black Panther Movie For Marvel

John Robert Cole is reportedly close to closing a deal to write the -script for Marvel’s Black Panther movie, according to a report from the Wrap. Marvel declined to comment on the report.

Black Panther will star Chadwick Boseman as T’Challa, king of the African nation of Wakanda and the latest hero to become the country’s Black Panther. The film was teased with the appearance of Black Panther’s nemesis, Klaw (Andy Serkis) in Avengers: Age of Ultron. Black Panther will make his debut in Captain America: Civil War.

Cole was previously rumored to working on the -script for Marvel’s Inhumans, but those rumors were never confirmed.

Rumor: Creed Filmmaker Ryan Coogler In Contention For Black Panther

Ryan Coogler, whose Rocky spinoff Creed is one of the most anticipated films of the holiday season, is apparently one of the filmmakers being considered to direct Black Panther at Marvel.

Heroic Hollywood reports that Coogler is the top pick for the moment -- although obviously there have been a few top picks that have come and gone on this film, most notably when Selma's Ava DuVernay seemed like a shoo-in before leaving the project over creative differences with Marvel.

Creed's Ryan Coogler Reportedly In Talks To Direct Black Panther

Ryan Coogler is reportedly back in talks with Marvel Studios to direct the upcoming Black Panther movie.

The report from Birth.Movies.Death suggests that the two parties are still negotiating a deal.

Coogler’s name has some awards buzz surrounding it, thanks to the critical success of his latest film, Creed.

Black Panther Will Link To Avengers: Infinity War

Marvel Studios head, Kevin Feige, recently shared some new details about the film. "This one is important," Feige tells Empire of Black Panther. "Not only do you get an unbelievable lead character, but you also get all of Wakanda which is a whole new setting and culture to explore.”

Despite the cast being unannounced and/or undecided, Feige assures it will be "primarily African-American." That will be another step in the diversity direction for Marvel films, which have become known for having white male actors front and center (often times named 'Chris'). Earlier this year, the announcement of Ant-Man and The Wasp marked Evangeline Lilly's Hope Van Dyne as the first heroine to be named in a Marvel Studios film's title.

Marvel Confirms Creed Director Ryan Coogler Is Directing Black Panther

Press release follows:

It’s official, Marvelites: Ryan Coogler will step up to direct Marvel’s “Black Panther,” in theaters February 16, 2018!

Chadwick Boseman will star in “Black Panther” after debuting as the character in the upcoming Marvel’s “Captain America: Civil War,” in theaters May 6.

“We are fortunate to have such an esteemed filmmaker join the Marvel family,” said producer Kevin Feige. “The talents Ryan showcased in his first two films easily made him our top choice to direct ‘Black Panther.’ Many fans have waited a long time to see Black Panther in his own film, and with Ryan we know we’ve found the perfect director to bring T’Challa’s story to life.”

Director Ryan Coogler Says BLACK PANTHER Will Be His "Most Personal Movie"

Coogler has made a name for himself with his films Fruitvale Station and Creed, both starring Michael B. Jordan, who has recently joined the cast of Black Panther. His films so far have been character driven, and emotionally powerful to the point where he has said that they were deeply personal.

During an interview with FastCompany, Coogler talked about taking on Black Panther, revealing how it would be his most personal film yet. "It’s a specific challenge," said Coogler. "What Marvel’s doing, and what you see a lot of studios doing now that Marvel has done it so successfully, is making content that exists in a particular universe, where the characters tie in and crossover, and I think that’s a great creative challenge to me—to make this movie as personal as possible. It’s going to be my most personal movie to date, which is crazy to say, but it’s completely the case. I’m obsessed with this character and this story right now, and I think it’s going to be very unique and still fit into the overall narrative that they’re establishing."

tumblr_o6i2mccdLa1spz1xao5_540.gif

tumblr_o5u7nuNDP11rvufhzo2_500.gif

Sebastian Stan Hints At The Winter Soldier's Return In BLACK PANTHER

The majority of fans expected Captain America: Civil War to end with Bucky wielding the shield, but instead, he ended up asking to be frozen again until Wakanda's scientists could purge his mind of all that pesky HYDRA programming. The character returning in Avengers: Infinity War for a major role seems unlikely considering the fact Iron Man wants to kill him, so what's next for the Winter Soldier?

Well, talking at Wizard World in Philadelphia this weekend, actor Sebastian Stan said: "I don’t know, man. I mean, there’s obviously a very clear answer but I’m not maybe say it, now. Where did he end up at the end of the movie? That’s the movie he should be in. I feel like that would be the natural... But I don't know."

Sebastian Stan Hints At The Winter Soldier's Return In BLACK PANTHER

The majority of fans expected Captain America: Civil War to end with Bucky wielding the shield, but instead, he ended up asking to be frozen again until Wakanda's scientists could purge his mind of all that pesky HYDRA programming. The character returning in Avengers: Infinity War for a major role seems unlikely considering the fact Iron Man wants to kill him, so what's next for the Winter Soldier?

Well, talking at Wizard World in Philadelphia this weekend, actor Sebastian Stan said: "I don’t know, man. I mean, there’s obviously a very clear answer but I’m not maybe say it, now. Where did he end up at the end of the movie? That’s the movie he should be in. I feel like that would be the natural... But I don't know."

Translated - "I will be playing a human popsicle" lol

The Black Panther Will Bring New Action and Fighting Scenes To The Marvel Movie Universe!

Via his instagram, Chadwick Boseman announced this week that he is training with Martial Arts Master Marrese Crump.

14iislk.png

For those of you who do not know who Marrese Crump is, just know this, dude here is amongst the top 10 trainers and masters in the whole world. He is an actor, stunt man, and fitness guru also. He teaches various forms of fighting styles, but his true calling card is the art of Capoeira, a Brazilian style of Mixed Martial Arts that was invented and taught by West Africans.

:whee: