• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THOR: RAGNAROK official thread (7/28/2017)
5 5

896 posts in this topic

Now down to 325 domestic theaters, the daily revenue is drastically slowing down.

bM0VnNd.png

After the North America box office, the following are the top 5 countries contributing to a fantastic run.

• China: $112,226,154
  • United Kingdom: $40,920,052
  • South Korea: $35,106,332
  • Brazil: $30,482,697
  • Australia: $27,378,890

Yeah, $850m total box office is legit for a third installment.  I didn't LOOVE this one -- too jokey at times given the weight of what was happening -- but plenty to like.  Loved Valkyrie, too.  

Dan

Even with another week of results, we are $8.8M away from the assumed $860M end, and $148.8M from 'did your movie do a billion dollars because mine did' end-state.

Xr3Bx9h.png

Still, a strong wrap-up soon and a huge win as Chris Hemsworth is now on fire to do more Thor, post-contract. Including trying to encourage Hugh Jackman to team up with him.

Edited by Bosco685

Anyone happen across this when pre-ordering?

Thor: Ragnarok leaks onto the web a month early after huge Movies Anywhere mix-up

According to TorrentFreak, some users on Reddit noticed that when placing a preorder for the well-received Thor: Ragnarok with Vudu, the movie showed up as immediately available on iTunes. Somewhere along the line, Vudu and iTunes mixed up the handshake on the release date, and iTunes seemed to think that customers had rights to watch the film right away instead of waiting another month. The movie could be streamed as well as downloaded in full for offline viewing. And as you might guess, it took very little time for a flawless, 720p version of the digital release to find its way onto the internet. Once iTunes’ DRM protections were stripped away and it was shared, the movie spread like wildfire. Higher resolutions (including 1080p) may also be out there.

If the rumored explanation is true, this would mark the first major failure of Movies Anywhere, and Disney is probably none too pleased about the situation. Thor: Ragnarok wasn’t scheduled to release on iTunes until February 20th. Now, Marvel and Disney might consider pushing up that launch to avoid losing rentals and purchases to a month’s worth of piracy.

Like all the new Disney 4K discs, however, it's upscaled from 1080p and probably not worth paying the 4k premium for unless you're an HDR junkie.

http://realorfake4k.com/my-product/thor-ragnarok/

Edited by fantastic_four

On 12/11/2017 at 7:50 PM, Bosco685 said:

$840M-$860M worldwide.

On 12/22/2017 at 10:00 AM, CBT said:

So I would say MAXIMUM final total is $875 and likely total will be around $860.

At this point, the movie is $8.3M from $860M worldwide, and still $148.3M away from ' did your movie do a billion dollars because mine did' end-state.

msDlPIg.png

Edited by Bosco685

1 hour ago, media_junkie said:

If you would have said to me 5 years ago that the 3rd go round of Thor would make more than the 1st Justice League I'd have kicked you in the nuts, called you "Sally" and ran away.

Now, you can just kick him in the nuts for good measure.

I also finally saw this movie and honestly would love an explanation on what people loved so much about this movie. 

I thought it was ok. I know people will think I’m just hating on Marvel again but I honestly didn’t find it great. 

I’m not a Marvel hater, I just don’t like most of their movies or their style. Many do obviously and that’s great. While I really didn’t like the first two Thor’s, this one was just “turn off your brain fun.” The humor in some places was subtle and better than Marvels standard cheese. I just had a good time watching it which surprised me considering how I felt about the other two. I have a very short list of Marvel movies I like including Winter Soldier, Civil War and Dr. Strange. Yes, I liked that one too.  The pacing of Ragnarok also worked for me, never a dull moment. 

On 12/23/2017 at 8:19 AM, Readcomix said:

Sorry if this is a thread Krap, as recent discussion is mostly movie industry business analysis, but as far as the movie itself goes, I was very disappointed. I haven't seen every Marvel Studios movie (Iron Man 3 and GOTG 2 are the ones I have missed), but to my taste this was the worst by far.

I felt like in many spots the scenes seemed more like outtakes. Hemsworth and Hiddleston had trouble staying in character, it seemed, and most of the others didn't seem to give a thought to trying to convince anyone they were Norse gods. Too much weak humor, an un-Thor-like Thor (I had thought Hemsworth did a great job in all previous efforts). The don't cut my hair crybaby was silly. The Grandmaster was also far from a cosmic Elder, too.

Then there's the gunplay among gods . These are Superbeings. Guns are ordinary. Save it for Punisher movies. Watching the Executioner fend off Asgardian zombies with two AR's instead of wading through them with a battle axe and super strength????

At parts it felt too much like another Star Wars flick, with Ray guns and spaceships. There should have been a massive wooden sailing ship that flew.

Rather than carve a unique mythology, this felt like a mash-up of other non-Marvel franchises. 

I saw it as bland and offkey; anyone else got a different prism that maybe I could look through? At this point, Thor is the first Avenger I'm ready to see retired from the Marvel cinematic universe.

This is how I felt. I actually think I like the first two movies more now as a result of watching this movie. 

Loki was a very likeable character as was Valkyrie but Hemsworth was a bit full of himself 

5 minutes ago, comic_memories said:
still collecting money.....Worldwide:  $853,455,195  

True.

$6.55M from $860M worldwide, and $146.55M from 'did your movie do a billion dollars because mine did' end-state.

Disney is probably holding out to hit $855M as a minimum.