• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THOR: RAGNAROK official thread (7/28/2017)
5 5

896 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, sd2416 said:

So she destroys the hammer twice?

twss

also, I didn't realize karl urban was in it. nor did I realize it was cate blanchett.  I thought it was whoever was in the Sicario movie, who may or may not possibly the 'Girl on the Train' (is it the same woman? am I sexist and/or racist for thinking it is the same woman?  Is it more sexist/racist if its the same woman? or if its not?)

this movie looks good, I will see it in the theater if it goes over 85% RT (I know a lot of people don't trust it, but the critics usually match me pretty well).

41 minutes ago, revat said:

twss

also, I didn't realize karl urban was in it. nor did I realize it was cate blanchett.  I thought it was whoever was in the Sicario movie, who may or may not possibly the 'Girl on the Train' (is it the same woman? am I sexist and/or racist for thinking it is the same woman?  Is it more sexist/racist if its the same woman? or if its not?)

this movie looks good, I will see it in the theater if it goes over 85% RT (I know a lot of people don't trust it, but the critics usually match me pretty well).

Girl on the Train and Sicario are the same actress.  

Reviewers seem to be loving early screenings of Ragnarok.

:whee:

Ragnarok is basically a Joke Delivery System — and on that score, it works. The movie is fun. So to recap: Taika Waititi was mostly the right director for the job. Chris Hemsworth is hilarious. Tessa Thompson is going to be a star. And while Ragnarok’s story is an aimless mess, you won’t stop laughing. In other words, it’s a…  

SOURCE: Entertainment Weekly

Daft as a badger sandwich and twice as funny, this is vintage Waititi, and the boldest, most outrageously fun film Marvel has yet produced. [4/5]

SOURCE: Empire

It basically throws up its hands at its own ridiculousness and plays it all for laughs – and it gets them. The price of this irreverence is the possibility of taking anything that happens all that seriously – even the potential destruction of the Norse gods’ home (that’s not a spoiler either: it’s the title of the movie). There’s a potentially intriguing subtext about Asgard’s gilded spires – and by extension European civilisation – having been built on the suffering and riches of others, but, being a bit of a downer, it’s dealt with fleetingly. The romp must go on. [3/5]

SOURCE: Guardian

There are moments that might bring a viewer back to the day's news: a citizens' uprising, an exodus of refugees. But amid the strife and the battles — on land and sea, in arenas and in the air — it's the loose-limbed laughs that amp the story's comic-book formula. In the evanescent Ragnarok, even the shock of grievous bodily injury evaporates before our eyes. What will linger when the weapons are withdrawn is the knowledge that you've been prepped for the inevitable next chapter.'

SOURCE: The Hollywood Reporter

Thor: Ragnarok is a goofy, kitschy- but- fun romp and the most purely entertaining of the three Thor movies, marked by its distinctive designs, ‘80s synth score, and assemblage of spirited characters. It’s carried by the excellent chemistry between Thor, Hulk, and Valkyrie, who give humanity to a visual effects-heavy spectacle that finally makes good on Thor’s title of God of Thunder. But it’s also a film fragmented by its clear preference for its B storyline (Sakaar) over its A storyline (Asgard). Thor: Ragnarok’s desire to go for the gag also hurts the movie in a few key serious moments that deserved to pack more punch than they did. [7.7/10]

SOURCE: IGN

Instead it’s right there on the edge, a very, very good movie that’s almost great. However, its saving grace is that a truly funny movie can still have a life beyond the screen and, unlike many of its predecessors, Thor: Ragnarok has that timeless potential. Long after the Marvel Cinematic Universe is over, odds are we’ll still be enjoying, rewatching, and quoting this crazy, hilarious movie.

SOURCE: io9

The final fight scene, played out to the strains of Led Zeppelin's Immigrant Song and against a burning Asgard, doesn't hold back. It's so exciting you'd be forgiven for getting physically aroused. This is a Marvel movie that knows when to embrace the ridiculous and when to puncture any pomposity, and it's a delight from start to big finish. And yes, you do need to stay to the very very end of the credits.  [4.5/5]

SOURCE: Total Film

Thor: Ragnarok is by far the most unusual of the Marvel movies – a crazy, colorful, ambitious, hilarious ride through the cosmos – even surpassing the Guardians of the Galaxy movies as the former holder of that title. And it’s by far the funniest. It’s not even a question that Thor: Ragnarok is the best of the Thor movies and it’s certainly up there as far as the best in the MCU. Who knew a Thor movie could be this wonderful? I guess Taika Waititi did. And please let Taika Waititi make whatever other movies he wants from now on.

SOURCE: Uproxx

The best surprise of Ragnarok? Both sides of Hulk, the rage monster and the insecure genius, get more to do than in their prior two Avengers appearances. Even tonal issues can’t upend the magic this movie taps into putting Thor and Hulk together as new best buddies, whether they’re throwing down in an arena or having a bromantic heart-to-heart.

SOURCE: USA Today

You don’t have to have seen the lead-ups to “Thor: Ragnarok” to enjoy yourself, nor will your delight depend upon another five future movies to be announced later. There’s little pomp and even less circumstance, but its goofy pleasures are more than enough.

SOURCE: The Wrap

These days, Marvel movies arrive as parodies of themselves. If only that were an indication of the genre’s own impending Ragnarok — a sign that the entire phenomenon is about to implode, only to be reborn as something more worthy of the audience’s time and intelligence.

SOURCE: Variety

After the rave reviews for "Star Wars: The Force Awakens" and being soul crushing disappointed once I saw it with my own two eyes, I am always apprehensive now when I see 98% positive scores.  We live in a world where nobody ever agrees with each other with that level of consensuslol.

Plus saying it's the best Thor movie isn't exactly a raving endorsement.  But I'm going to plop down my $15, large popcorn, and a cherry slushee on opening night.  Can't wait!

Edited by AnthonyTheAbyss
gramma

4 hours ago, Straw-Man said:

but i did prefer rogue one to tfa.

Agree 100% as a SW fan. TFA was just a rehash of the plot from A New Hope with modern special effects and a more diverse cast sprinkled in. I am glad I waited to watch it for free on the small screen. Rogue One was a better story and movie. 

4 hours ago, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

saying it's the best Thor movie isn't exactly a raving endorsement. 

You hit the nail with the hammer! lol

It looks like it should be a fun flick regardless. Now I have to convince my kids, who think Thor sucks based on the last two movies, to want to watch this.

Edited by kimik

5 hours ago, paperheart said:

Another MCU triumph, choosing a director who had made two micro budget movies and letting him run amok with their, arguably, most boring character.   Let the vitriol begin.  

Don't worry. Your crown for best approach is safe.

:baiting:

Edited by Bosco685

5 hours ago, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

Plus saying it's the best Thor movie isn't exactly a raving endorsement.  But I'm going to plop down my $15, large popcorn, and a cherry slushee on opening night.  Can't wait!

Hey now! I like the first Thor movie. Especially with his adventures with the Warriors Three plus Lady Sif. That was a fun movie.

Now that mess afterwards - that's just a shame it ever happened.

On 10/11/2017 at 6:37 PM, Bosco685 said:

I was wondering if she is phasing in and out of timelines. The pose kind of matches. But then I look at the hair, and she isn't a 100% match.

a76b4b61c5ef17a20425520c2124d40e9d390fa4

a54d2a49702d0bfb81727e14ff74675c572275ed

And now we know the details.

'Thor: Ragnarok' Director Reveals Why They Changed The Hela Hammer Scene Location

Waititi explained how the scene taking place in New York City would have made things a little too easy for the God of Thunder. Be warned, though, the description contains spoilers for Thor: Ragnarok.

Spoiler

"We originally shot some of that stuff on the set of our stuff in New York," Waititi said. "What we wanted to do was have them go down to Earth and they see Doctor Strange and stuff but it felt too convenient that he was suddenly just down the road in an alley and also everything, up to then, everything was so fast-paced and all over the place. We wanted to go somewhere peaceful and actually chill out with those characters and be with Odin while he imparts this wisdom and stuff and not have to hear stupid yellow cabs honking out the back."

The new environment lent itself to the moment Odin and his boys were having together. "It just felt like a terrible environment to have a scene that could be very emotional for what happens with Odin and the boys, and the first time we've seen the three guys all together, and him telling them he loves them and acknowledging Loki as his son," Waititi said. "It was just very important for us to be in a beautiful peaceful environment."

Yes, Ragnarok is supposed to be funny.

Maybe these movies are good and stand on their own in their own way, but the MCU has consistently missed the mark with adapting the Marvel Universe. Sometimes by a wide margin. These movies are simply not the Marvel comic universe come to life.

In the words of Chick Hearn, it's been more of a disappointment than a surprise.

1 hour ago, marvelcollector said:

Yes, Ragnarok is supposed to be funny.

Maybe these movies are good and stand on their own in their own way, but the MCU has consistently missed the mark with adapting the Marvel Universe. Sometimes by a wide margin. These movies are simply not the Marvel comic universe come to life.

In the words of Chick Hearn, it's been more of a disappointment than a surprise.

+1, where is Thor the Frog of Thunder? Huge missed opportunity.

13 hours ago, paperheart said:

+1, where is Thor the Frog of Thunder? Huge missed opportunity.

Absolutely. And where's Dr Don Blake questioning the morality of healthcare in the US? And Jane Foster in that nurse's uniform?