• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THOR: RAGNAROK official thread (7/28/2017)
5 5

896 posts in this topic

Not to be a Debbie Downer but I've read enough reviews and opinions to say otherwise to the 98% (now 96%) RT score.  Overall consensus was it was the best Thor movie but not the best Marvel movie.  That doesn't jive with the fact that it has the highest MCU RT score right now.

I think a lot of reviewers now aren't only putting out reviews but also skewing their reviews on the high end to build up the hype for more views to their articles/videos.  Or they're being given gifts/incentives (I have no idea).

I personally don't see the difference between a RT score of 90% versus 95%...both indicates a great movie.  But everything feels artificially overhyped lately.

'Thor: Ragnarok' Now Tracking For $125 Million Opening Weekend

Thor: Ragnarok has started airing in international markets where it's already hauled in $12.8 million. So far the film has only been open for less than three days, and is only airing in the United Kingdom, France, Indonesia, Taiwan, and South Korea, according to a report from Variety.

Disney seems to be pleased with these initial numbers, and analysts expect it to be the highest-grossing opening in the franchise. They said the movie is pacing with Doctor Strange, which hauled in $678 worldwide.

The movie has already made $4.8 million in the UK alone.

Of course a huge chunk of the money will be made when it premieres in stateside markets, where it's expected to haul in $125 million for its opening weekend.

6 hours ago, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

Not to be a Debbie Downer but I've read enough reviews and opinions to say otherwise to the 98% (now 96%) RT score.  Overall consensus was it was the best Thor movie but not the best Marvel movie.  That doesn't jive with the fact that it has the highest MCU RT score right now.

I think a lot of reviewers now aren't only putting out reviews but also skewing their reviews on the high end to build up the hype for more views to their articles/videos.  Or they're being given gifts/incentives (I have no idea).

I personally don't see the difference between a RT score of 90% versus 95%...both indicates a great movie.  But everything feels artificially overhyped lately.

i think of RT as a likeability index.  For "best" I'd look at Metacritic: "Best" MCU movie: Iron Man (79), "Best" Spider-Man movie: Spider-Man 2 (83), Best Batman movie: Dark Knight (82), Best X-Men movie: DOFP (74) (or Logan (77) if you want to lump that in w/ X-Men).  Everyone's mileage may vary but this should be considered a pretty accurate way to assess "best."

34 minutes ago, paperheart said:
6 hours ago, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

i think of RT as a likeability index.  For "best" I'd look at Metacritic: "Best" MCU movie: Iron Man (79), "Best" Spider-Man movie: Spider-Man 2 (83), Best Batman movie: Dark Knight (82), Best X-Men movie: DOFP (74) (or Logan (77) if you want to lump that in w/ X-Men).  Everyone's mileage may vary but this should be considered a pretty accurate way to assess "best."

good call, there's still a lot of people who read Rotten Tomatoes the wrong way.  its basically, 'did you like it more than you didn't'  So a movie that EVERYONE agrees is a C+ might have an equal or better RT score than a movie that 80% of people think is super awesome and 20% of people think is kinda sucky.  Its binary. One thumb, up or down, no indication of how high or low the thumb is.  Which still has its uses, but people shouldn't read more into it than is there.

8 hours ago, jsilverjanet said:

I suspect that maybe they went with the comedy angle of the film to make the next avengers movie more dramatic since it seems to be much more grim than normal 

This is an angle I had not considered and probably holds more weight than my first impression.  Initially I thought they were simply copying the GotG formula, going more with the jokes/comedy and heavy dose of throwback feel with the music/title graphics/vivid colors etc as it is the only other iteration taking place principally off-earth.  Not to mention the 'team' aspect they're throwing together.

Also makes sense as a logical lead in to finally get at least one of the infinity stones into Thanos' hands.

10 hours ago, jsilverjanet said:

I suspect that maybe they went with the comedy angle of the film to make the next avengers movie more dramatic since it seems to be much more grim than normal 

I sure do hope so. Don't need nobody crackin' jokes while Thanos goes 'round killin' folks.

As a big Thor fan, I saw it a few days ago and loved it. It's the best Marvel movie since GOTG #1.

The opening scene is absolutely spectacular, the best in any Marvel movie and even better than Nightcrawler in the White House in X2.

In terms of how they come across power-wise and in the battles, we finally see the Thor & Asgardians of the Silver Age and I love the way they stuck to the Kirby source material.

Not all the jokes worked but I found it pretty funny, and the humor's definitely not as embarrassingly forced as GOTG #2.

Overall, I give it 8/10.

Edited by r100comics

Saw it last night. I liked it due to all the characters so gracefully fed into what could have been an extremely confusing storyline. And I liked the father-son theme used again like Guardians of the Galaxy. The comedy was good, the action was plenty, and combined it made for a fun experience. But there were parts of this movie that kept me from seeing this 'best of Marvel' film some have noted in articles. To include it never felt like any of the heroes were in grave danger, or this story could flow into a Thor 4 because you are left with a massive cliffhanger. You knew for the most part who were hardcore villains, who were the definite heroes, and then there was a minor surprise near the end where a character changed sides (I liked that scene - but not their end-state).

Overall, an 8.5/10.0 for me. A movie I would watch again because there were so many amazing visuals and story points I enjoyed.

Spoiler

I do hate they couldn't line up Jamie Alexander's calendar to return to a story she definitely would have been part of. I felt like that was one piece missing that bothered me when defending Asgard as a whole.

Heimdall definitely got more screen time than he was ever given before. I liked him as one of the underground defenders of Asgard.

I do want to see more of Korg and Miek. Though with the latter, there wasn't character exposure you had in 'Planet Hulk'. But the approach used by Waititi in applying a soft voice to a massive character based on New Zealand bouncers (polite giants), it really worked and made the character more interesting.

thorragnarokkorgmarvel.jpg

'Thor 3' Hauls in $100M+ International Debut

Disney and Marvel's release of Thor: Ragnarok into 36 material markets this weekend delivered an estimated $107.6 million. Disney reports the opening is +4% ahead of Guardians of the Galaxy 2 and +22% ahead of Doctor Strange when comparing the same suite of territories at today's exchange rates. The release accounts for ~52% of the international marketplace and was led by the UK with an estimated $15.8m followed by South Korea ($15.5m), Australia ($8.4m), Brazil ($8.3m), France ($7.4m), Indonesia ($5.5m), Taiwan ($5.4m), Italy ($4.2m), Philippines ($3.8m), Malaysia ($3.5m), Spain ($3.4m), Hong Kong ($2.9m), Singapore ($2.2m) and Argentina ($2.0m).

Thor: Ragnarok releases in ~3,800 North American theaters next weekend along with debuts in Germany, Russia, China, Japan, Mexico, Austria and several others, accounting for nearly 100% of the global marketplace.

On ‎10‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 10:59 AM, piper said:

Wish I could see it early!

Just fly to Indonesia like normal people.