• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Captain America: Civil War official movie thread (5/6/16)

2,267 posts in this topic

That's why I started that tracking list of all the big hits.

• May 20, 2016 – Neighbors 2: Sorority Rising
  • May 20, 2016 – The Angry Birds Movie
  • May 27, 2016 – X-Men: Apocalypse
  • May 27, 2016 – Alice in Wonderland: Through the Looking Glass
  • June 3, 2016 – Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows
  • June 10, 2016 – Warcraft
  • June 17, 2016 – Central Intelligence (Dwayne Johnson)
  • June 17, 2016 – Finding Dory (Disney)
  • June 24, 2016 – Independence Day: Resurgence
  • July 1, 2016 – The Legend of Tarzan
  • July 15, 2016 – Ghostbusters
  • July 22, 2016 – Star Trek Beyond
  • July 29, 2016 – Jason Bourne
  • August 5, 2016 – Suicide Squad (directed by David Ayers)
  • August 5, 2016 – The Founder (Michael Keaton's take on McDonald's founder)
  • August 12, 2016 – Pete's Dragon (Disney)
  • August 19, 2016 – Ben-Hur (2016)
  • September 16, 2016 – Snowden
  • September 23, 2016 – The Magnificent Seven
  • October 21, 2016 – Underworld 5
  • October 21, 2016 – Jack Reacher: Never Go Back
  • November 4, 2016 – Doctor Strange
  • November 23, 2016 – Moana (Disney)
  • December 16, 2016 – Star Wars: Rogue One
  • December 21, 2016 – Assassin's Creed

The movie field is so crowded now, there are points where certain films can get washed away by the others surrounding it. Including our beloved comic book films mixed in with other hits.

Civil War should fade faster due to 1) X-Men Apocalypes coming out and 2) superhero movie fatigue.

Add in the fact that the movie was almost as bad as AoU, with possibly an even weaker story, and I can see CW fading fast. My non-comic friends thought that CW was worse than Winter Soldier, and those that have not seen it will likely wait due to the negative word of mouth they are hearing. lol

lol negative word of mouth from who exactly? you? 90%RT, 75 Metacritic, A- Cinemascore- those are the only #'s that count. poor Marvel, will have to make do w/ $1.2BB. only $475MM more the Cap:WS. :cry: like every one of these tentpoles, will have banked 85-90% of its total take after 4 weekends; that's just the nature of the summer movie biz (unless it's animated aimed at kids- which can run for ages)

I think it's more about the fact that we use to get 1 or 2 superhero movies a year & now we're starting to see more popping up on a year basis & overlapping one another also. We're getting so spoiled, people are expecting more of a thrill to appreciate any content. We're seeing more superhero movies this year than ever before:

Deadpool 2/12/2016

BvS 3/25/2016

CW 5/6/2016

Apocalypse 5/27/2016

SS 8/5/2016

DS 11/4/2016

With 4 big movies in 4 months, it's no wonder they're not reaching the same heights at the BO these days. Maybe SS & DS won't have as big an issue, since there's some room between them.

Then there's 7 set for next year:

Deadpool 2 ???

Wolverine 3 3/3/2017

GOTG 2 5/5/2017

WW 6/2/2017

Spider-Man 7/7/2017

Thor 3 11/3/2017

JL 11/17/2017

I personally think Ragnarok is set too close to JL. That will certainly affect the BO. They should move it to October.

oh, there's no doubt there are way too many of these being made and the US box office will continue to sag; i wouldn't be shocked if X-Men does less than $200MM domestic. the foreign box office is another story.

lol negative word of mouth from who exactly? you? 90%RT, 75 Metacritic, A- Cinemascore- those are the only #'s that count. poor Marvel, will have to make do w/ $1.2BB. only $475MM more the Cap:WS. :cry: like every one of these tentpoles, will have banked 85-90% of its total take after 4 weekends; that's just the nature of the summer movie biz (unless it's animated aimed at kids- which can run for ages)

Plenty of people I know from my kids school classes or sports (hockey, lacrosse and soccer) have said it was disappointing and does not live up to the hype. Is it an okay popcorn flick? Sure. However, there are a number of parents/families I know who have not seen it yet that are not planning to either based on the so-so responses from those of us that have. More importantly, their kids have heard it is not great at school or sports so they do not want to go. Heck, there are a number of us that have not seen The Force Awakens yet either. Why? Our kids have heard from their classmates/teammates/friends that it is not that great so they did not want to go.

There is a bigger issue of superhero movie fatigue setting in as well. This spring is showing that 4 movies in 4 months may be too many. However, until the movies stop making $500+ million the studios will keep pumping them out. How many other genres can reach that global box office total?

Civil War should fade faster due to 1) X-Men Apocalypes coming out and 2) superhero movie fatigue.

Add in the fact that the movie was almost as bad as AoU, with possibly an even weaker story, and I can see CW fading fast. My non-comic friends thought that CW was worse than Winter Soldier, and those that have not seen it will likely wait due to the negative word of mouth they are hearing. lol

Yeah I don't know where this negative word of mouth is coming from either. Was it that long ago that people were calling it the best superhero movie ever, and if not, at the very least the best Marvel Studios movie ever?

I guess in true Civil War fashion, we all have to choose sides ;)

Jim

Yeah I don't know where this negative word of mouth is coming from either. Was it that long ago that people were calling it the best superhero movie ever, and if not, at the very least the best Marvel Studios movie ever?

Jim

:applause:

Plenty of people I know from my kids school classes or sports (hockey, lacrosse and soccer) have said it was disappointing and does not live up to the hype. Is it an okay popcorn flick? Sure. However, there are a number of parents/families I know who have not seen it yet that are not planning to either based on the so-so responses from those of us that have. More importantly, their kids have heard it is not great at school or sports so they do not want to go. Heck, there are a number of us that have not seen The Force Awakens yet either. Why? Our kids have heard from their classmates/teammates/friends that it is not that great so they did not want to go.

There is a bigger issue of superhero movie fatigue setting in as well. This spring is showing that 4 movies in 4 months may be too many. However, until the movies stop making $500+ million the studios will keep pumping them out. How many other genres can reach that global box office total?

Too much time hanging out with the jocks... :baiting:

Jim

Who was calling it the best superhero movie ever? :roflmao:

Marvel has several movies I would put ahead of it easily:

Iron Man

Avengers

GoTG

Winter Soldier

Civil war is an okay summer flick, but it is far from the best Marvel movie, let alone best superhero movie ever.

Jim

Marvel has several movies I would put ahead of it easily:

Iron Man

Avengers

GoTG

Winter Soldier

Civil war is an okay summer flick, but it is far from the best Marvel movie, let alone best superhero movie ever.

I disagree. It is a top 3 movie.

Jim

is that a question? hm easy answer. :)

Cinemablend: " While Captain America: Civil War was praised as being one of the best superhero movies of all time,..."

Forbes: "Review: 'Captain America: Civil War' Wins Crown For Best Pure Superhero Movie"

The Washington Post: " Why ‘Captain America: Civil War’ is one of the best superhero movies of all time"

The Telegraph: "Captain America: Civil War is Marvel's best film so far - review"

the Toronto Sun: " If you do not count Guardians of the Galaxy — because it remains an eccentric outlier — Civil War now easily ranks as the best movie in the Marvel Cinematic Universe."

I could go on (there's lots more), but you get the idea. :D

Who's laughing now? :gossip::busy::banana::foryou:

Jim

Cinemablend: " While Captain America: Civil War was praised as being one of the best superhero movies of all time,..."

Forbes: "Review: 'Captain America: Civil War' Wins Crown For Best Pure Superhero Movie"

The Washington Post: " Why ‘Captain America: Civil War’ is one of the best superhero movies of all time"

The Telegraph: "Captain America: Civil War is Marvel's best film so far - review"

the Toronto Sun: " If you do not count Guardians of the Galaxy — because it remains an eccentric outlier — Civil War now easily ranks as the best movie in the Marvel Cinematic Universe."

where's the guy who was saying that BvS got beat up by critics because DC/WB refused to payoff the critics like Marvel/Disney did... the above headlines would probably tickle him...

I really enjoy Chris Evans as Cap, and his latest appearances. But I would say these folks stopped laughing a while ago.

The Spectator Captain America reviewed:I swear this is the last Marvel film I see

Indiewire 'Captain America: Civil War' Shows the Best and Worst of Marvel Movies

The New York Times In ‘Captain America: Civil War,’ Super-Bro Against Super-Bro: I’m not really feeling it

Daily News 'Captain America: Civil War,' has too many super heroes fighting for screen time

BBC Film Review: Captain America - Civil War Isn't Marvel-ous

theguardian Captain America: Civil War – how I was bludgeoned by a blockbuster

NJ.com 'Captain America: Civil War' review: No marvel

Every movie is going to have its critics. No matter how solid or fan-focused it may be to reach a target audience.

:foryou:

Every movie is going to have its critics. No matter how solid or fan-focused it may be to reach a target audience.

Yep. I understand that.

My post was in answer to Kimic questioning Guardian Comics' claim that "that people were calling it the best superhero movie ever, and if not, at the very least the best Marvel Studios movie ever".

Kimic asked , "Who was calling it the best superhero movie ever?" with a rolling on the floor laughing emoticon, as if the claim was unsubstantiated.

Guardian Comics' claim is backed by a number of reviews.

That was my point. Nothing more. :)

Okay, something more. :sorry:

It seems some folks are upset by all the negative stuff flung at BvS and may be taking it out on CW. Maybe.

That's a proposition I certainly can't prove, but it'd be interesting to see what the reactions would have been by some folks (on CW) if BvS would have been better received critically. If that is the case it's rather petty.

Understandable, but it smacks of retaliatory meanness.

I find the pettifogging about CW - and the MCU in general, as being formulaic and aimed at children, rather humorous.

These are films based on super hero comic books. All the auteur and solipsistic cinematic styling in the world doesn't change the fact that the primary subject matter of these films are men in tights. A film noir lollipop is still a lollipop.

The aim of seriously addressing juvenile works is older than Hawthorne & Longfellow, it ain't nuthin' new. And they were successful because they did it without condescension - unlike some of the comments here in regard to the MCU.

It seems some folks are upset by all the negative stuff flung at BvS and may be taking it out on CW. Maybe.

That's a proposition I certainly can't prove, but it'd be interesting to see what the reactions would have been by some folks (on CW) if BvS would have been better received critically. If that is the case it's rather petty.

I find the pettifogging about CW - and the MCU in general, as being formulaic and aimed at children, rather humorous.

These are films based on super hero comic books. All the auteur and solipsistic cinematic styling in the world doesn't change the fact that the primary subject matter of these films are men in tights. A film noir lollipop is still a lollipop.

The aim of seriously addressing juvenile works is older than Hawthorne & Longfellow, it ain't nuthin' new. And they were successful because they did it without condescension - unlike some of the comments here in regard to the MCU.

I love movies from both DC/Warner and Marvel Studios. So taking sides based on comic company appreciation seems to miss out on amazing times we are experiencing with all these characters rolling out on the big screen.

But I hope you don't assume the MCU concerns were unique. People were carping all over the BvS thread for much longer than the movie release just because it wasn't Marvel. Even noted early on in that thread childish stances like 'DC

Maybe you missed all that because you were looking somewhere else. It only went on for a year or so. So I could see how it would be missed.

:baiting:

I love movies from both DC/Warner and Marvel Studios. So taking sides based on comic company appreciation seems to miss out on amazing times we are experiencing with all these characters rolling out on the big screen.

But I hope you don't assume the MCU concerns were unique. People were carping all over the BvS thread for much longer than the movie release just because it wasn't Marvel. Even noted early on in that thread childish stances like 'DC

Maybe you missed all that because you were looking somewhere else. It only went on for a year or so. So I could see how it would be missed.

What you say is true, I didn't miss it.

There's plenty of childish behavior on both sides, I'm sure.

I've liked many of the DC movies myself. I liked the Green lantern film. I really liked the Nolan Batmans' and the Man of Steel, & I think the first couple Superman and Batman films from the '70s & '80s were downright awesome. (edit: I did think the first Nolan Batman was rather slow, though. Just a personal take)

And I am a Marvel guy, mostly (though I do have quite a few long boxes of old DC's) :)

And I agree wholeheartedly these are amazing times for super hero movies.

I haven't seen BvS yet, but I will, and I'm sure I'll enjoy it; I've always liked Affleck.

I will say I'm Astonished that the lead characters from Tales of Suspense would out-perform the lead characters from Action Comics & Detective comics in head-to-head movies :shy:

I did think the first Nolan Batman was rather slow, though. Just a personal take

I really liked Batman Begins. I enjoyed the telling of Bruce's early years in learning how to be the fighter he became. Add to this the introduction of Scarecrow and Ras. But that's for another thread.

:grin:

I will say I'm Astonished that the lead characters from Tales of Suspense would out-perform the lead characters from Action Comics & Detective comics in head-to-head movies :shy:

I KNEW IT! Hater!

I did think the first Nolan Batman was rather slow, though. Just a personal take

I really liked Batman Begins. I enjoyed the telling of Bruce's early years in learning how to be the fighter he became. Add to this the introduction of Scarecrow and Ras. But that's for another thread.

:grin:

I KNEW IT! Hater!

You see through me like I'm made of glass. :cry:

Yep. I understand that.

My post was in answer to Kimic questioning Guardian Comics' claim that "that people were calling it the best superhero movie ever, and if not, at the very least the best Marvel Studios movie ever".

Kimic asked , "Who was calling it the best superhero movie ever?" with a rolling on the floor laughing emoticon, as if the claim was unsubstantiated.

Guardian Comics' claim is backed by a number of reviews.

That was my point. Nothing more. :)

Okay, something more. :sorry:

Are you kidding? Check out the thread crapping on BvS and some of the other movie threads by the MCU fanboys. lol

Civil War was an average big event movie. It is simplistic and formulaic.........and it worked just like it has with the other Marvel movies. No need to change things when you are topping $1 Billion globally with the same formula.

FWIW, Disney movies have always been and will continue to be aimed at children. That is where you make the $$$ - if kids want to see a film then their parent(s) will have to as well. It is a simple formula.