• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Captain America: Civil War official movie thread (5/6/16)

2,267 posts in this topic

It would appear 74% is not an average drop-off with these superhero movies.

EDpc6oK.png

But again, the Forbes reporter did say 'as of late' when comparing more recent films. Though films like 'Deadpool' and 'The Dark Knight' having a -65 (+) is no surprise. And with the latter, that was definitely a blockbuster of a film.

If I'm reading this right, it looks like it did better Saturday than expected:

http://deadline.com/2016/05/captain-america-money-monsterthe-darkness-box-office-weekend-1201755869/

Which makes a lot of sense since Saturdays are when people are most freed up.

Comparing daily numbers like a stock exchange will only drive you crazy trying to predict if a film is a base hit versus a home run.

It would appear 74% is not an average drop-off with these superhero movies.

EDpc6oK.png

But again, the Forbes reporter did say 'as of late' when comparing more recent films. Though films like 'Deadpool' and 'The Dark Knight' having a -65 (+) is no surprise. And with the latter, that was definitely a blockbuster of a film.

Mendeson's "of late" is key.

This chart needs to be benchmarked against the year theaters shifted to showing Thursday previews in all of prime time (i.e., 7:00 pm on) instead of just midnight showings.

The dividing line is spring 2013.

So there's a hard line after The Avengers (for Marvel) and The Dark Knight Rises (for DC), after which we would expect higher average % drops because the number of Thursday evening showings that were counted towards the first Friday gross tripled.

Bit surprised w/ 90RT this will be down 60% this weekend

Comic book fatigue

I think BvS is actually hurting it 2c I think a lot of the regular movie goers (the non comic book buyers that were confused and didn't understand what was going on) that went and watched it was turned off by the movie and now it's hurting CW

:roflmao:

BvS is also responsible for all the death and suffering in the world.

lol

Mendeson's "of late" is key.

This chart needs to be benchmarked against the year theaters shifted to showing Thursday previews in all of prime time (i.e., 7:00 pm on) instead of just midnight showings.

The dividing line is spring 2013.

So there's a hard line after The Avengers (for Marvel) and The Dark Knight Rises (for DC), after which we would expect higher average % drops because the number of Thursday evening showings that were counted towards the first Friday gross tripled.

That's a really good point (not just the one at the top of your head :baiting: ).

It looks like 'Oz the Great and Powerful' and 'Jack the Giant Slayer' in 2013 established this as a normal trend. Though those were 10 PM showings, and it wasn't until 'G.I. Joe: Retaliation' in March 2013 that 7 PM became a new standard.

Why 7 p.m. Is the New ‘Midnight Opening’ at the Box Office

“Oz the Great and Powerful” and “Jack the Giant Slayer” are two recent examples of big movies that got a very early start on their opening weekends, with both debuting in 10 PM Thursday shows. Warner Bros. rolled out "The Incredible Burt Wonderstone" Thursday night at 10 PM.

Now Fox has blessed 9 PM Thursday screenings of “The Croods” on March 21 — and Paramount will go with 7 PM Wednesday showings of “G.I. Joe: Retaliation,” ahead of its Thursday debut on Easter weekend.

Amazing how things change like this, and after awhile it feels like the norm.

I love the data analysis you guys do on the performance of these movies. As a comic and data nerd, it's awesome. Kudos!

I don't really see Civil War being a disappointment to the studios at all. However, I will say that piracy is even bigger than ever. A friend of mine sent me a link to a site that had Civil War running for about 2 days until it got shut down.

This hurts sales and we need to consider the rate of piracy to how much that has grown over the years as well when comparing sales and performance. There is an element of piracy that eats into every week the movie is out. That can contribute to the drop off as well.

Either way, I loved Civil War. Great Movie. And, I did watch a little on my computer but I have seen the movie 2x already and plan to go another 2x with friends.

Not to steal Bosco's thunder, but early estimates put Cap at $71 million for the weekend, which would put it at just shy of $300 million domestic so far.

That would make it the 7th member of the "$100 million losers" club (i.e., film's so massive that they made more than $100 million less their second weekend than they did their first).

My take is it's too soon to tell re. the ultimate audience reception to this film (i.e., whether it has long-term legs).

While it's outperformed BvS so far, it hasn't (yet) outperformed by a wide margin domestically, given the vastly different critical and popular consensus between the two.

And the respective international totals aren't comparable because Captain America's international market had a 2-week head start on its domestic release.

We'll know far more a few weeks hence.

Not to steal Bosco's thunder, but early estimates put Cap at $71 million for the weekend, which would put it at just shy of $300 million domestic so far.

That would make it the 7th member of the "$100 million losers" club (i.e., film's so massive that they made more than $100 million less their second weekend than they did their first).

My take is it's too soon to tell re. the ultimate audience reception to this film (i.e., whether it has long-term legs).

While it's outperformed BvS so far, it hasn't (yet) outperformed by a wide margin domestically, given the vastly different critical and popular consensus between the two.

And the respective international totals aren't comparable because Captain America's international market had a 2-week head start on its domestic release.

International was 1 week before Domestic, not 2 (April 27/May 6) and did not include China (which opened May 6) 3 weeks in (total) and Civil War has passed BvS total worldwide gross (940 Million vs 868 Million). It will be a Billion dollar movie by next weekend.

International was 1 week before Domestic, not 2 (April 27/May 6) and did not include China (which opened May 6) 3 weeks in (total) and Civil War has passed BvS total worldwide gross (940 Million vs 868 Million). It will be a Billion dollar movie by next weekend.

I have gotten into the habit of holding off until later in the day when I pull numbers from Box Office Mojo. It seems to post all international updates later on Sundays.

MK75llI.png

But even with that, WOW! What a year for superhero movies.

I was really hoping that Captain America and Iron Man would discover that both of their mother's names are Martha, so the horrible conflict, and unnecessary bloodshed could come to a swift end.

I like that joke when you tell it. The other hundred times it was used by others just didn't feel the same.

TtFJvPH.jpg

:baiting:

I have gotten into the habit of holding off until later in the day when I pull numbers from Box Office Mojo. It seems to post all international updates later on Sundays.

MK75llI.png

But even with that, WOW! What a year for superhero movies.

Wonder if cc still isn't sure if it will pass BvS. Looks like cap:cw will be in a tight race for #3 on this list

While it's outperformed BvS so far, it hasn't (yet) outperformed by a wide margin domestically

Yes it has. in 2 weeks, it has passed what BVS has done in 8 weeks. that's a wide margin.