• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wonder Woman official movie thread (6/23/17)
6 6

1,526 posts in this topic

21 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Lot of action, and had quiet scenes in the right spots. Chris Pine was brillant on the way he played off Wonder Woman. 

I have to agree. Chris Pine really helped the story and Wonder Woman stand out. His reactions on Themyscira to the surroundings and Amazons adds to the experience. So much for that warner Bros. former employee letter where she noted how Chris Pine overwhelmed Gadot in the role.

Watched it again last night with the wife. She liked it. But it was interesting in the end when she noted, "I can see why Gal Gadot got all this attention. It was like she was born to the role."

46 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Lot of action, and had quiet scenes in the right spots. Chris Pine was brillant on the way he played off Wonder Woman. 

I really forgot he plays Captain Kirk. To me that an achievement to his skills as actor in two successful franchises. He reminded me of the other Chris who made you forget about Johnny Storm, when he took the Steve Rogers role. 

Gadot had so much positive conviction in her role, it reminded me of Christopher Reeve in the original Superman movies. We get it week-to-week in Supergirl, but rarely on the big screen. So, it's refreshing.

Like Logan, I would give this one three and a half stars out of four. (thumbsu 

1 hour ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

It will be hard to top Wonder Woman both critically and box office wise. Wonder Woman the movie was special like the Logan and Deadpool movies. Those kind of superhero movies are rare.

Some people say a lot of goodwill might go it's way after the success of Wonder Woman. Myself, I don't prescribe to that fan boy mentality anymore. I'm going to be on a wait and see, with critics and word of mouth.

I like to think of my own personal tastes in movies, but I don't like what I see and I'm afraid another lousy DC experience might hurt my feelings for my extremely positive reaction to Wonder Woman, like BvS did for the solid Man of Steel.

This isn't always the case as X-Men Apocalypse soured me towards that franchise and would never have guessed the third Wolverine movie and ninth installment would be the best of them all right after. But if Logan didn't get the acclaim it got, I doubt I would ever bothered with it.

4 minutes ago, NewEnglandGothic said:

Some people say a lot of goodwill might go it's way after the success of Wonder Woman. Myself, I don't prescribe to that fan boy mentality anymore. I'm going to be on a wait and see, with critics and word of mouth.

I like to think of my own personal tastes in movies, but I don't like what I see and I'm afraid another lousy DC experience might hurt my feelings for my extremely positive reaction to Wonder Woman, like BvS did for the solid Man of Steel.

This isn't always the case as X-Men Apocalypse soured me towards that franchise and would never have guessed the third Wolverine movie and ninth installment would be the best of them all right after. But if Logan didn't get the acclaim it got, I doubt I would ever bothered with it.

Yep,I am like that now and don't rush out anymore until I hear what the critics/fans say.

Also,after watching Logan. I deliberately waited a few weeks to see another movie because I knew any other movie after just watching Logan would be disappointing.

Logan,Deadpool and Wonder Woman really set the bar high,so I don't use them to compare the average superhero movie to. 

My second bar is just about every Marvel Cinematic superhero movie. I use this bar as more a benchmark to compare superhero movies. If a superhero movie can't entertain me like a regular Marvel superhero movie than it is a stinker.

My favorites in the second bar are handsdown GOTG1 and 2 and Ironman 1.

My third bar I call the junk/bored bar where superhero/sci movies that really are so stupid or boring I put them here. Unfortunately the list is longer than the other bars so I can't list them all here! lol 

18 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

My third bar I call the junk/bored bar where superhero/sci movies that really are so stupid or boring I put them here. Unfortunately the list is longer than the other bars so I can't list them all here! lol 

I look at all these threads in here sometimes, wondering if I'll even watch a tenth of them 20-30 years later, like the first two Batman & Superman movies.

The choices you stated, most likely... everything else probably not.

For example, I saw Ghost Rider in a theater, thought it was ok for the time, bought the DVD, but haven't had the desire to see it in 10 years. Same with Rise of the Silver Surfer. Exactly the case with Spider-Man 3.

7 minutes ago, NewEnglandGothic said:

I look at all these threads in here sometimes, wondering if I'll even watch a tenth of them 20-30 years later, like the first two Batman & Superman movies.

The choices you stated, most likely... everything else probably not.

For example, I saw Ghost Rider in a theater, thought it was ok for the time, bought the DVD, but haven't had the desire to see it in 10 years. Same with Rise of the Silver Surfer. Exactly the case with Spider-Man 3.

Those first two Christopher Reeve and Michael Keaton Supermans and Batmans are classics to be watched over and over again. I loved them. Myself, I usually just watch a modern superhero movie just once, so I am a one and done guy now. lol.

If I want go back to watch a superhero movie a second time like Wonder Woman than I know it's good,as usually I have no desire to see most modern superhero/scifi flicks a second time because if you seen one end of the world disaster CGI flick than you seen them all.

So yeah the classics of the first two Christopher Reeve and Michael Keaton Supermans and Batmans  proves quality is better than modern quantity.

Not only did Wonder Woman squeeze out another $500K, but it also broke $412M domestic and $820M worldwide. That after sites had noted the production run was over.

2gYBqlv.png

I forget who noted this would break $820M. But it sure wasn't me. I was way off!

:applause:

For me, there have been a LOT of good superhero movies that I have watched numerous times.  However a few stand out as the best of the best.  All of them in some way changed the way I viewed  superhero movies and have/will be rewatched many times.  Wonder Woman has joined that list.  Story was solid, acting top notch and the portrayal of WW by Gal was perfect.  The combination of her beauty, determination and innocence was impactful.  I know this generation likes the shady, dark superheroes, but dang it's refreshing to get one that's not.  I'm also a sucker for period movies, especially WWI and WWII eras. Maybe it's the fact that I have 3 daughters and I felt this was a portrayal that they would enjoy and possibly admire for the right reasons.   Whatever it is, its a keeper.

On 9/26/2017 at 5:21 PM, Bosco685 said:

Not only did Wonder Woman squeeze out another $500K, but it also broke $412M domestic and $820M worldwide. That after sites had noted the production run was over.

2gYBqlv.png

I forget who noted this would break $820M. But it sure wasn't me. I was way off!

:applause:

yeah I also don't think it was me 

On ‎9‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 8:02 AM, NewEnglandGothic said:

I really forgot he plays Captain Kirk. To me that an achievement to his skills as actor in two successful franchises. He reminded me of the other Chris who made you forget about Johnny Storm, when he took the Steve Rogers role. 

Gadot had so much positive conviction in her role, it reminded me of Christopher Reeve in the original Superman movies. We get it week-to-week in Supergirl, but rarely on the big screen. So, it's refreshing.

Like Logan, I would give this one three and a half stars out of four. (thumbsu 

Pine is great.  He's got the "it factor".   Very charismatic.  I thought he was a great Kirk.  

3 hours ago, chrisco37 said:

Pine is great.  He's got the "it factor".   Very charismatic.  I thought he was a great Kirk.  

Agreed.

He's definitely evolved from generic-pretty-boy to a solid A-list star -- the type of leap that say...Jai Courtney and Sam Worthington never made.

More importantly, he seems to pick his roles carefully. He held his own against Denzel in Unstoppable years ago, but then turned in an Oscar-caliber performance in Hell or High Water last year.

Just watched this for the first time. The movie was horrible. Wonder Woman was miscast; Gal Gadot does not have good acting skills. Don't get me started on her physique. When did Wonder Woman get chicken legs? Chris Pine carried the acting. 

The movie was slow paced the first 2/3 acts. Gadot's jumping/leaping scenes were cringe worthy. 

The theme music was too sparse. It felt misplaced whenever it played.

1 hour ago, DTM700 said:

Just watched this for the first time. The movie was horrible. Wonder Woman was miscast; Gal Gadot does not have good acting skills. Don't get me started on her physique. When did Wonder Woman get chicken legs? Chris Pine carried the acting. 

The movie was slow paced the first 2/3 acts. Gadot's jumping/leaping scenes were cringe worthy. 

The theme music was too sparse. It felt misplaced whenever it played.

A Star Wars/Marvel Films troll

22 minutes ago, reddwarf666222 said:

A Star Wars/Marvel Films troll

Honest opinion. No trolling. I thought Wonder Woman was very underwhelming.

And what does Star Wars have to do with this? Look at my post history, I've never even made a post about Star Wars movies...

Fyi I enjoy DC more than marvel. I love batfleck and hope Justice League is well done.

Edited by DTM700
Reddwarf and a bunch of numbers

4 hours ago, DTM700 said:

Honest opinion. No trolling. I thought Wonder Woman was very underwhelming.

And what does Star Wars have to do with this? Look at my post history, I've never even made a post about Star Wars movies...

Fyi I enjoy DC more than marvel. I love batfleck and hope Justice League is well done.

It probably was the unidentifable avatar character that threw him off. That could be any beer or soda can from a fiction movie.

:baiting:

Funny stuff last night (after a powerful opening,) but Gal's eye kept wandering to that prompter (Emily Blunt had issues with her lines like this too last season.)

My favorites were the OJ & Wonder Woman sketch, but the desert one cracked me up. Pete Davidson's confession was good too.

Good start to the season.

On ‎9‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 7:07 AM, ComicConnoisseur said:

Just finished this with the ole' lady ,........ and to think we chose Spider-man instead of this (shrug) GOD BLESS.....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

.......talk about living up to the hype :headbang: