• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A.K.A. Jessica Jones on Netflix (11/20/15)
3 3

840 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

Are we not gonna' talk about how Foolkiller is the villain?

I have liked that character ever since I first read about him in Man-Thing Vol. 1. A real oddball with interesting qualities. And his appearance on a Spider-Man cover was so cool.

ASM225.PNG.e2cd01ee0e59851999d0f19a9cef915c.PNG

My wife and I just finished this and it was a very, very strong season. I felt like they got rid of any of the typical Marvel-Netflix bloat; the plot unfolded very organically and kept ratcheting up the tension without feeling forced. A tough trick to pull off in a superhero show. Somehow this managed to capture the same thing that the original comic did -- it created a noir (and somewhat naturalistic) superhero story. Maybe that was due to the villain choice this season. Either way, well done Melissa Rosenberg and co.

The cast really killed it this season -- everyone leveled up. It's easy to single out Carrie-Anne Moss, but I think that overlooks the intensity that Krysten Ritter was bringing to every scene. She just disappeared into this character. Rachael Taylor had one of the toughest arcs to believably portray and just, wow.

I really enjoyed the Malcolm and Erik subplots which dovetailed nicely with the noir themes or corruption and redemption.

And that last scene by the helicopter was note perfect. I loved the writing on that voiceover (and Ritter's voiceover performance throughout was great. A typically overlooked skill. A bad V.O. performance can ruin a show. This is how you do it right, folks.)

(Interestingly, like the Punisher tag before it, I felt like the tag on this finale was a little unnecessary and felt... I don't know... mandated? But it didn't hurt anything.)

It's a shame this is the end of the series, but it was very satisfying.

On 7/4/2019 at 12:03 PM, BCarter27 said:

My wife and I just finished this and it was a very, very strong season. I felt like they got rid of any of the typical Marvel-Netflix bloat; the plot unfolded very organically and kept ratcheting up the tension without feeling forced. A tough trick to pull off in a superhero show. Somehow this managed to capture the same thing that the original comic did -- it created a noir (and somewhat naturalistic) superhero story. Maybe that was due to the villain choice this season. Either way, well done Melissa Rosenberg and co.

The cast really killed it this season -- everyone leveled up. It's easy to single out Carrie-Anne Moss, but I think that overlooks the intensity that Krysten Ritter was bringing to every scene. She just disappeared into this character. Rachael Taylor had one of the toughest arcs to believably portray and just, wow.

I really enjoyed the Malcolm and Erik subplots which dovetailed nicely with the noir themes or corruption and redemption.

And that last scene by the helicopter was note perfect. I loved the writing on that voiceover (and Ritter's voiceover performance throughout was great. A typically overlooked skill. A bad V.O. performance can ruin a show. This is how you do it right, folks.)

(Interestingly, like the Punisher tag before it, I felt like the tag on this finale was a little unnecessary and felt... I don't know... mandated? But it didn't hurt anything.)

It's a shame this is the end of the series, but it was very satisfying.

I had put off watching this series and now wish I had started sooner. Just finished Season 2 last week and had planned on starting S3 this weekend. I'm glad to hear that this was another solid season and now am looking forward even more to getting it going.

I just finished watching season 3.  I enjoy this show quite a bit.  Not quite as much as Daredevil, but WAY more than Iron Fist or Luke Cage.  Krysten Ritter and Carrie-Ann Moss are great throughout the show.

Spoiler

I could not STAND Trish/Patsy/Hellcat.  I hated basically every moment she was on screen.  Maybe that's by design...she does turn out to be the major villain of the season, after all. 

At the end of season 2, she underwent a procedure in an attempt to gain superpowers.  It worked and gave her the powers of...parkour?  She always lands on her feet?  She can see in the dark?  The powers are ill-defined in the show, but they don't seem anywhere near the same level of "superhuman" as Jessica's strength.  Nevertheless, Trish spends most of the season badgering Jessica about "I can do the hero stuff now, you don't have to" and "now there's two of us" kind of talk...it got very tiresome.  What bothered me the most is that she wanted to instantly be treated as though she's experienced enough to do everything that Jessica does when she has almost no experience, making her a liability.  She's untested.

I had the very same problem when Skye/Daisy/Quake got her powers in Agents of SHIELD.  Once she got the powers, she constantly tries to pull rank with capable, veteran agents like May or Coulson.  She didn't earn the clout she thinks her powers entitle her to.  Same as Trish.

Trish knows first hand what kind of others are out there.  If she got into a fight with any of these people, she'd have been smoked.  Luke Cage, Iron Fist, Colleen Wing, Daredevil, Punisher, Kingpin, Elektra, any single random Hand ninja...all would have wiped the floor with her. 

Plus, if she had listened to Jessica and just stayed out of it, Foolkiller would have gone down by the books much earlier.  Her lack of self-awareness killed her mother and made Jessica the main suspect in a murder case.  They were only able to take down Foolkiller for good when they literally chained Trish to a post to keep her from screwing things up yet again.  And when she does get free, she screws things up again.

I know by the later points in the season, she was supposed to be depicted as someone who had gone down a dark path and at a certain point she becomes beyond redemption.  I have less of a problem with these later parts because they are trying to convey that she has lost her moral compass by this point and it's a big part of the narrative.  It's mostly the early parts of the season before she crosses any lines that I found very annoying...a feeling that permeated the entire season. 

Not a bad season, but I feel that season 1 was still the strongest of the series by far.  Killgrave is still the best villain we've seen in the Netflix shows and I think he's on par with the best that the MCU has to offer. 

1 hour ago, Turtle said:

I just finished watching season 3.  I enjoy this show quite a bit.  Not quite as much as Daredevil, but WAY more than Iron Fist or Luke Cage.  Krysten Ritter and Carrie-Ann Moss are great throughout the show.

Reveal hidden contents

I could not STAND Trish/Patsy/Hellcat.  I hated basically every moment she was on screen.  Maybe that's by design...she does turn out to be the major villain of the season, after all. 

At the end of season 2, she underwent a procedure in an attempt to gain superpowers.  It worked and gave her the powers of...parkour?  She always lands on her feet?  She can see in the dark?  The powers are ill-defined in the show, but they don't seem anywhere near the same level of "superhuman" as Jessica's strength.  Nevertheless, Trish spends most of the season badgering Jessica about "I can do the hero stuff now, you don't have to" and "now there's two of us" kind of talk...it got very tiresome.  What bothered me the most is that she wanted to instantly be treated as though she's experienced enough to do everything that Jessica does when she has almost no experience, making her a liability.  She's untested.

I had the very same problem when Skye/Daisy/Quake got her powers in Agents of SHIELD.  Once she got the powers, she constantly tries to pull rank with capable, veteran agents like May or Coulson.  She didn't earn the clout she thinks her powers entitle her to.  Same as Trish.

Trish knows first hand what kind of others are out there.  If she got into a fight with any of these people, she'd have been smoked.  Luke Cage, Iron Fist, Colleen Wing, Daredevil, Punisher, Kingpin, Elektra, any single random Hand ninja...all would have wiped the floor with her. 

Plus, if she had listened to Jessica and just stayed out of it, Foolkiller would have gone down by the books much earlier.  Her lack of self-awareness killed her mother and made Jessica the main suspect in a murder case.  They were only able to take down Foolkiller for good when they literally chained Trish to a post to keep her from screwing things up yet again.  And when she does get free, she screws things up again.

I know by the later points in the season, she was supposed to be depicted as someone who had gone down a dark path and at a certain point she becomes beyond redemption.  I have less of a problem with these later parts because they are trying to convey that she has lost her moral compass by this point and it's a big part of the narrative.  It's mostly the early parts of the season before she crosses any lines that I found very annoying...a feeling that permeated the entire season. 

Not a bad season, but I feel that season 1 was still the strongest of the series by far.  Killgrave is still the best villain we've seen in the Netflix shows and I think he's on par with the best that the MCU has to offer. 

I need to go back and watch this last season. I watched the first episode and thought it was okay. But with all the shows out now, it makes it tough to cover everything 'comic books'.

29 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

I need to go back and watch this last season. I watched the first episode and thought it was okay. But with all the shows out now, it makes it tough to cover everything 'comic books'.

I finished this one yesterday.  I think I'll move on to the last Punisher season next.

1 minute ago, Turtle said:

I finished this one yesterday.  I think I'll move on to the last Punisher season next.

Hold on for that ride. I found Punisher Season 2 to be solid.

1 minute ago, Bosco685 said:

Hold on for that ride. I found Punisher Season 2 to be solid.

Even though I didn't love Iron Fist, I found his second season far more enjoyable than his first, so I'm hopeful that they could turn it around.  Plus they left the characters in position to move in interesting directions moving forward.

That said, I really hope they bring all these Netflix heroes back when Disney Plus launches and their non-compete agreements are up.  I'd like to see them again...especially, Punisher, Daredevil, and Jessica Jones.  Luke Cage isn't bad.  The character is very likeable...I just didn't enjoy his show that much. 

I'd also like to see these characters deal with the aftermath of Infinity War.  I'm betting Agents of Shield is covering that, though I haven't caught season 6 yet.

22 minutes ago, Turtle said:

Even though I didn't love Iron Fist, I found his second season far more enjoyable than his first, so I'm hopeful that they could turn it around.  Plus they left the characters in position to move in interesting directions moving forward.

That said, I really hope they bring all these Netflix heroes back when Disney Plus launches and their non-compete agreements are up.  I'd like to see them again...especially, Punisher, Daredevil, and Jessica Jones.  Luke Cage isn't bad.  The character is very likeable...I just didn't enjoy his show that much. 

I'd also like to see these characters deal with the aftermath of Infinity War.  I'm betting Agents of Shield is covering that, though I haven't caught season 6 yet.

I think if they finally went with the Power Man-Iron Fist team-up that could be made into an interesting story. Especially if they select antagonists that could challenge their skills in an intense way.

But with Punisher and Daredevil, I'll take those two all day long. Something about the Elektra casting doesn't sit as well with me. Not horrible. Just not close to what I expected. But even her i would appreciate seeing brought back somehow

1 hour ago, Bosco685 said:

I think if they finally went with the Power Man-Iron Fist team-up that could be made into an interesting story. Especially if they select antagonists that could challenge their skills in an intense way.

But with Punisher and Daredevil, I'll take those two all day long. Something about the Elektra casting doesn't sit as well with me. Not horrible. Just not close to what I expected. But even her i would appreciate seeing brought back somehow

I think my favorite episode of Luke Cage season 2 was when Danny came in for a quick mission.  I'd like to see them build more on that.

Jessica Jones Star Says It'd Be Difficult to Return to MCU
By ADAM BARNHARDT - August 14, 2022 05:01 pm EDT

0 Comments

Characters from Marvel TV's "DefendersVerse" have slowly been returning to the Marvel Cinematic Universe, with the likes of Daredevil (Charlie Cox) and Kingpin (Vincent D'Onofrio) both returning to reprise their roles in the franchise. There has been recent speculation Jessica Jones (Krysten Ritter) will soon join the mix, leading some to believe Marvel Studios could involve Kilgrave (David Tennant) in some shape, way, or form.

As Tennant now says, fans might not want to be so fast with those thoughts. During a spotlight panel as FAN EXPO Boston, the Doctor Who alumnus admitted he felt it would be "difficult" to return to the franchise given his villain's specificity. Still, Tennant added, he'd love to see the some of the writers behind the franchise try and involve his character somehow.